The Student Room Group

Do you buy stuff when you're there or carrying it all?

I know it seems a bit trivial but i genuinely don't know what to take to uni. I'm going to Lancaster, and its a 4 hour train journey from where i live. My parents don't have a car so i'm going on the train. I just thought i'd take all my clothes and what not in a suitcase, and naively didn't think i'd need much else . . . but apparently there's LOADS, and i'm a bit worried about it. Does anyone just buy things when they're there? I'm actually dreading the thought of dragging a massive telly on the train, and am a bit worried about how i'm going to manage :frown:. And i haven't even visited the uni yet (i know) because i was ill on the visit day i was supposed to go :frown: .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to know this too.
Reply 2
What college are you in? And don't bring a telly- you don't need one. If you want TV buy a license and watch it online. Also, all the college common rooms have TVs for students to use :smile:
Usually people in such a situation as yours either a) find a friend, acquaintance or otherwise to haul the stuff there for you (perhaps for a nominal, albeit modest fee), b) employ a transportation service, moving company, etc, or c) pack light, and buy the rest when they're there. I suppose there are people with no personal knickknacks and tchotchkes.
Reply 4
Original post by kittyb99
What college are you in? And don't bring a telly- you don't need one. If you want TV buy a license and watch it online. Also, all the college common rooms have TVs for students to use :smile:

I've applied to Bowland (basically because ita apparently close to the arts department and its relatively cheap) and County as an insurance :smile:
Reply 5
I've got to suggest this as a possibility.

I sell computers online, and some of them are the old ones, with CRT screens. I have found UPS will deliver a parcel up to 25KG and 50cmx50cmx50cm anywhere in the UK, next day for £8 if you book through Interparcel.

I used these for £4. They're 1cm over, but they're still OK. If you're only sending a couple of boxes of clothes or some heaver items, then it will work out a hell of a lot cheaper than renting a car etc.

Mark
I'm hopefully going to Lancaster too, and I live aaaages away so have had to think about this as well! Luckily my parents will be able to drive me up there. It will be a struggle to take it all on the train, but not impossible. The best advice I have seen is to split the stuff you're hoping to take into two piles- 'things I need to take' and 'things I want to take'. Then from there you can see how big/heavy/manageable your 'need' pile is.

There is a lot you need though, so like mentioned above if there is anyone you can get to help you it would be very useful- especially if the price of their train ticket/petrol (if they can drive you) is less than the amount you would have to pay to buy the things that they would have been helping you carry! Don't worry if not though, just take the essentials and you'll be able to buy the rest relatively cheaply.

And you don't need to worry about not having visited yet, I've been twice and the campus/facilities/accommodation are brilliant.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by louiseyoung
I've applied to Bowland (basically because ita apparently close to the arts department and its relatively cheap) and County as an insurance :smile:

Yeah Bowland is basically in the Arts dept, so good choice there. County is basically opposite though as well, so not much of a trek even if you end up there. I'm just finishing my second year and I'm in Cartmel. If you have any questions about Lancaster, the city, campus ect I will be more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah Bowland is basically in the Arts dept, so good choice there. County is basically opposite though as well, so not much of a trek even if you end up there. I'm just finishing my second year and I'm in Cartmel. If you have any questions about Lancaster, the city, campus ect I will be more than happy to help :smile:

Thank you :smile:. Nothing springs to mind, but i might PM you if that's ok :smile:

Cartmel!

If you're parents are coming with you, they might carry some stuff for you. When I came to Lancaster the first time, I got here by train with my dad and I think we had 2 suitcases. You should definitely bring clothes, a laptop and whatever you can fit in your bags, but you can get everything else (kitchen utensils, bedding etc.). A TV is nice to have but if you're only gonna use it to watch television, you probably won't need it cause you can watch tv on your laptop (through IPTV).
Reply 10
Original post by louiseyoung
Thank you :smile:. Nothing springs to mind, but i might PM you if that's ok :smile:

Yes of course :smile:
Reply 11
I'm in a similar position, unfortunately. :mad: I'm an EU student and can't take more than 20kg luggage on the plane :angry: So the best option is to travel light, take my clothes and some other basic stuff and buy the rest once I arrive. May be better, 'cause a lot of things are cheaper in England :biggrin:
Reply 12
It just is unfortunate when you have to bin it all at the end of the year :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by cvety
I'm in a similar position, unfortunately. :mad: I'm an EU student and can't take more than 20kg luggage on the plane :angry: So the best option is to travel light, take my clothes and some other basic stuff and buy the rest once I arrive. May be better, 'cause a lot of things are cheaper in England :biggrin:

Same here, but seriously; Things are cheaper in England? And you're from Bulgaria?
Reply 14
If you have to travel light then don't buy anything until you get there. If you can buy it at home then you can buy it once you're there and there's no point in giving yourself extra stuff to transport.
Reply 15
Original post by perlsh
Same here, but seriously; Things are cheaper in England? And you're from Bulgaria?

Yep :biggrin: All kitchen items and bedding are much more cheaper. Cell phones, laptops, ebook readers are also cheaper. I'm also planning on bying a bike but have no idea how much it would cost.
What are you going to take from home?
Reply 16
If you're going on the train, then I'd probably say get them when you get there, as lots of them are very cheap, but very bulky!

Just remember that on moving in weekends the local shops will be manically busy! Last year when all the first years were moving in there were queues the length of the tesco store nearest to the university (not an exaggeration).
Reply 17
If you're going back home over Christmas you could always pick up a second load with a few extra bits then :smile: getting it back will be a bit difficult though. Do you not have any friends or relatives with a car who would be willing to help?
Reply 18
Original post by cvety
Yep :biggrin: All kitchen items and bedding are much more cheaper. Cell phones, laptops, ebook readers are also cheaper. I'm also planning on bying a bike but have no idea how much it would cost.
What are you going to take from home?

Probably only my clothes and a few knick knacks. I'm still stunned that things are cheaper in England, really :P
Take any personal items you have - clothes, phone, laptop etc., and then get Ikea to deliver any bulky stuff like saucepans?

You should be able to find a student storage company for the summer that will come and pick up your stuff, store it for the summer, and return it to you in September.

Quick Reply

Latest