The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
r316
The college I'm interested in, Pembroke, is quite far from Addenbrokes (Medicine). How do people travel in Cambridge? Drive, walk, cycle, or is there a bus service?

Most people use bicycles...but you can walk too....when i went up for interview..i walked from the train station to caius...and it took about 20 -25 mins.

G
Reply 2
deianra
I'm also interested in Pembroke and I've narrowed down to a shortlist of Pembroke, Clare, Caius and Christ's.

What's the accommodation and food like for all of these Colleges?

I got into Caius...so hopefully i'll be there come this October.

Apparently...Caius was once voted to have the worst food in Cambridge...but i thought it was quite nice when i went up there.

Also...the first years live in Harvey Courts on the other side of the river...don't know too much about that though. Caius is supposed to be one of the bigger colleges though...and apparently has very nice traidtional buildings.

G
Reply 3
What about those cute folding scooters?
r316

next your gonna be suggesting skateboards. urgh.

MB
Reply 5
r316

I hate those things!!!

G
how long would it take to walk from one side of cambridge to the other side? how big is the place?
PhilomenaGuinea
how long would it take to walk from one side of cambridge to the other side? how big is the place?

are you including suburbs aswell? I guess it would take about 1.5 hours to walk from girton to homerton but there is no reason why you'd want to do that.

MB
musicboy
I guess it would take about 1.5 hours to walk from girton to homerton but there is no reason why you'd want to do that.

unless you wanted to know the exact time.... :tongue:
Donna
-x-
Reply 9
gzftan
I got into Caius...so hopefully i'll be there come this October.

Apparently...Caius was once voted to have the worst food in Cambridge...but i thought it was quite nice when i went up there.

Also...the first years live in Harvey Courts on the other side of the river...don't know too much about that though. Caius is supposed to be one of the bigger colleges though...and apparently has very nice traidtional buildings.

G

Harvey Court? Are you kidding? It's an abomination of a building.
Reply 10
What about rollerblades lol?
Reply 11
scooters...

i have no idea what cambridge is like, but in Oxford there is one big problem - cobbles! :biggrin:
Reply 12
r316
The college I'm interested in, Pembroke, is quite far from Addenbrokes (Medicine). How do people travel in Cambridge? Drive, walk, cycle, or is there a bus service?

Oh you are lucky, Pembroke (old bit at least) is on the Citi8 bus route that goes between the West Cambridge site and Addenbrokes every 15minutes between ~7 and 7 monday to friday. The best thing about it, it's free to university card holders!
Reply 13
RxB
Harvey Court? Are you kidding? It's an abomination of a building.

Affectionately known as 'the prison'...

Oh and the food really is not good, their formal hall is a laugh though, 25mins in and out :rolleyes:

...and buying meal tickets? WTF! So archaic.

Alaric
Alaric
...and buying meal tickets? WTF! So archaic.

OI!!!!

We have meal tickets; what's wrong with that???
Reply 15
r316

Ignore what everyone's already said. If you're doing undergrad Medicine, you don't get taught in Addies. You get all your lectures etc on the New Museums and Downing sites, which are literally right next door to Pembroke.

For clinical years, assuming you stay in Cambridge, you'll get accommodation near to Addies. There is a free bus that goes down there, but you only need it once a term to go to their applied anatomy lectures (which are optional, but worth the trek).

Having a bike in Cambridge is usually worth it, though being so close to your lectures, you might not need to. If you're going to do sports or anything though, it'd be worth it, as the sports grounds are not in the town centre (nor are the boathouses). Cars are an absolute no-no, and you wouldn't want one.
Helenia
Ignore what everyone's already said. If you're doing undergrad Medicine, you don't get taught in Addies. You get all your lectures etc on the New Museums and Downing sites, which are literally right next door to Pembroke.

For clinical years, assuming you stay in Cambridge, you'll get accommodation near to Addies. There is a free bus that goes down there, but you only need it once a term to go to their applied anatomy lectures (which are optional, but worth the trek).

Having a bike in Cambridge is usually worth it, though being so close to your lectures, you might not need to. If you're going to do sports or anything though, it'd be worth it, as the sports grounds are not in the town centre (nor are the boathouses). Cars are an absolute no-no, and you wouldn't want one.

yes, go dominate the forum!
Reply 17
DanMushMan
yes, go dominate the forum!

Raaaa, well, everyone else was talking crap about getting to Addenbrookes - thought someone had better point out that he doesn't have to!
Alaric
Oh you are lucky, Pembroke (old bit at least) is on the Citi8 bus route that goes between the West Cambridge site and Addenbrokes every 15minutes between ~7 and 7 monday to friday. The best thing about it, it's free to university card holders!

hi
what do you mean by "Pembroke (old bit at least)"? which bit is the old bit? :smile:

rosie xx
Helenia
Raaaa, well, everyone else was talking crap about getting to Addenbrookes - thought someone had better point out that he doesn't have to!

no do it, bring order to this place.

Latest

Trending

Trending