The Student Room Group

Private Candidate advice

I made the mistake of not attending sixth form whilst doing my A levels, I ended up with poor results only getting 130 UCAS points. Despite this, I sent my University a portfolio of software I had written and I was accepted onto their BSc in Computer Science.
I completed the degree in May, and i'm now going on to do my masters. I'm looking towards officer entry in the army after I graduate however, the army requires 180 UCAS points and it's very difficult to get them to over-look this, even with a masters degree. To make the process easier I would like to take another a level as a private candidate during this year, to help make up some extra UCAS points.

I have looked at options such as ICS and NEC however they do not help with finding an exam centre. It seems to me like a waste of money to pay for materials from them when I can just as easily buy the books provided by the exam boards themselves.

I was hoping someone here might know the process of registering as a private candidate?

I'm aware that I need to find an exam centre, but i'm sure there are some other steps and costs involved as to registering with an exam board.

Regards,

imALLin
Reply 1
Original post by ImALLin
To make the process easier I would like to take another a level as a private candidate during this year, to help make up some extra UCAS points.

I was hoping someone here might know the process of registering as a private candidate?

I'm aware that I need to find an exam centre, but i'm sure there are some other steps and costs involved as to registering with an exam board.

You need to pick a subject and specification and then everything is done through the exam centre - you do not need/should not contact the exam board at all. Al of the boards have advice on their websites for private candidates so have a look at that. Have you any idea what subject you are thinking of studying?
Reply 2
Pick a subject, then a specification. When you choose which exam board you are going to follow they have help on their website for private candidates. I know AQA have a list of colleges/ sixth forms that have accepted (or said theyd be willing to accept) private candidates. Look at the ones in your area and ring/email them asking if they would allow it. They ask you which subjects/specification/exams you want to take in the next exam period. Then they send you letters and stuff you have to sign, along with writing your candidate number down. You send a check/money/whatever covering the cost of your exams then learn the material. Closer to the exam season you receive a timetable off the school telling you where/when to go there and remember to take essentials i.e pens, pencil, ruler, calculator, IDENTIFICATION etc.

Quick Reply

Latest