The Student Room Group

Applying for USA universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by swbp
The Russell Group aren't the Ivy league, don't forget the 1994.

I never made a direct comparison, but honestly, excluding Oxbridge and Imperial you're picking straws with UK universities in the Russell Group and they're all fairly renound and respected.
Reply 21
Original post by c3ntury
I never made a direct comparison, but honestly, excluding Oxbridge and Imperial you're picking straws with UK universities in the Russell Group and they're all fairly renound and respected.

Agreed - i'm just a 1994 defender to the death haha
Reply 22
You'll have to keep in mind that Ivy League schools are ridiculously competitive. I believe I read that only 2% of the people who apply to Yale get accepted. That basically means that you need a perfect ACT/SAT score plus find a cure for cancer (or some other amazing accomplishment...:P). But I know that at least some (if not all) Ivy League schools have spectacular scholarships. However, I don't know whether international students qualify for them.

But yes, studying in America can be expensive, even for US citizens. If you are fairly athletic, you could probably qualify for a scholarship. Some universities (small or private ones) offer scholarships to International students because they value 'diversity' on their campuses. In order to get a loan, I think that you need a US citizen to co-sign for you.
Reply 23
Original post by lindie
You'll have to keep in mind that Ivy League schools are ridiculously competitive. I believe I read that only 2% of the people who apply to Yale get accepted. That basically means that you need a perfect ACT/SAT score plus find a cure for cancer (or some other amazing accomplishment...:P). But I know that at least some (if not all) Ivy League schools have spectacular scholarships. However, I don't know whether international students qualify for them.

But yes, studying in America can be expensive, even for US citizens. If you are fairly athletic, you could probably qualify for a scholarship. Some universities (small or private ones) offer scholarships to International students because they value 'diversity' on their campuses. In order to get a loan, I think that you need a US citizen to co-sign for you.

I'm pretty sure Harvard has the lowest acceptance rate, at 6%, but this doesn't factor in legacies or ED, which can have a significant impact on admissions.
Reply 24
I think that ill give it a shot, will talk to Teachers at school soon :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Alix23
I'm pretty sure Harvard has the lowest acceptance rate, at 6%, but this doesn't factor in legacies or ED, which can have a significant impact on admissions.

Ah yes, when I looked it up, many Ivy Leagues have a 6-9% acceptance rate (at least for early decision/action applicants). Regular decision acceptance seems to be more in the 3-6% range.
First off, it's great that you're already thinking about this, as you need to start early!
Here is what I learnt during the short amount of time that I looked at American universities;

Look for one with needs-blind admission. Off the top of my head, Princeton is one. Essentially means that if you're good enough they'll accept you, if you can't pay then they'll make up what you can't. They will also help you find a job on campus to support yourself. Princeton does actually offer this to international students. Not going to lie, getting a scholarship would be really hard, so look at needs-blind admission too.
If you're heading to the US, go for the very top. Imo, it's not worth spending that amount of money to not go to an Ivy League or equivalent college. Sure, the experience would be great, but for that amount of money, going to a college that's only on a par, not even as good as, a top UK uni? Don't do it!
Admissions- you'll need SAT/ACT and A-Levels (and do well in them too). I went to a Fulbright Commission talk and normally the acceptance rate for Ivy League is about 6%. Because you're an international student, you can halve that to 3%. Also, US colleges are big on all-rounders who do tonnes of extra-curriculars. Are you on a sports team? Think about joining your school magazine (if you have one)- contribute to school life!
Why do you want to apply to American universities? Liberal Arts course? The experience? You think you'll get a better job at the end? There is no right answer, but do think long and hard about this and whether or not you're applying for a suitable reasons.
Make yourself known to the colleges you want to apply for now. They will take a note of who attends various talks and open days and contacts them over email, and if admissions tutors recognise your name when they see you're application you've already got a head start.

Urmmm, I think there was more stuff but I've just had a mind-blank. I may be back to edit this, and if there's anything else you want to know I'll try my best to answer it :smile: In the mean time, you can check out the Fulbright Commission website.
Also, if you think about it and realise maybe you're not up for American colleges, then think about applying to UK universities that offer a year abroad in America. That's what I'm doing now :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by cesca42
First off, it's great that you're already thinking about this, as you need to start early!
Here is what I learnt during the short amount of time that I looked at American universities;

Look for one with needs-blind admission. Off the top of my head, Princeton is one. Essentially means that if you're good enough they'll accept you, if you can't pay then they'll make up what you can't. They will also help you find a job on campus to support yourself. Princeton does actually offer this to international students. Not going to lie, getting a scholarship would be really hard, so look at needs-blind admission too.
If you're heading to the US, go for the very top. Imo, it's not worth spending that amount of money to not go to an Ivy League or equivalent college. Sure, the experience would be great, but for that amount of money, going to a college that's only on a par, not even as good as, a top UK uni? Don't do it!
Admissions- you'll need SAT/ACT and A-Levels (and do well in them too). I went to a Fulbright Commission talk and normally the acceptance rate for Ivy League is about 6%. Because you're an international student, you can halve that to 3%. Also, US colleges are big on all-rounders who do tonnes of extra-curriculars. Are you on a sports team? Think about joining your school magazine (if you have one)- contribute to school life!
Why do you want to apply to American universities? Liberal Arts course? The experience? You think you'll get a better job at the end? There is no right answer, but do think long and hard about this and whether or not you're applying for a suitable reasons.
Make yourself known to the colleges you want to apply for now. They will take a note of who attends various talks and open days and contacts them over email, and if admissions tutors recognise your name when they see you're application you've already got a head start.

Urmmm, I think there was more stuff but I've just had a mind-blank. I may be back to edit this, and if there's anything else you want to know I'll try my best to answer it :smile:
Also, if you think about it and realise maybe you're not up for American colleges, then think about applying to UK universities that offer a year abroad in America. That's what I'm doing now :)

This could be a better solution. After I applied for university in the UK, I realised that I liked the idea of going to a US college - however the system is complicated, and travel/finance would be really confusing. Why not just consider a year/term abroad option?

Many UK universities, especially those who offer a BA in American Studies, have strong links with the US. For example, i'm going to Sussex, and have the oppurtunity to transfer to UPENN (Ivy League) UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Georgetown, UNC or Washington in St Louis to name but a few :smile: You get the full on US education experience, without the complications :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by cesca42

Urmmm, I think there was more stuff but I've just had a mind-blank. I may be back to edit this, and if there's anything else you want to know I'll try my best to answer it :smile: In the mean time, you can check out the Fulbright Commission website.
Also, if you think about it and realise maybe you're not up for American colleges, then think about applying to UK universities that offer a year abroad in America. That's what I'm doing now :smile:

THANKS A LOT :biggrin: Im on 3 sports teams :smile: I will talk to my teachers and see whether they have any contacts or advice that i could use. I want to go to America for the experience, but also because I like their way of life more than I do here (sorry guys :tongue:)
Heya! I've just about finished my A level exams and I applied to American Uni's! I have family out there and had a green card so thought, why not? I started my researching and everything in Year 11. The best place to go is the Fullbright Commission http://www.fulbright.org.uk

Their specially dedicated in helping UK students studying in the US and vice versa. The application process can seem very daunting and lengthy at first but once you get stuck into it it should be fine!

First I'd recommend browsing through some universities you'd like to go to. I applied to Penn State and Rutgers in the end since I really liked the look of them and plus their much cheaper than private colleges (e.g Ivy Leauge ones). Over there its not really focused about the course that you want to study (like some people find over here) but rather why you want to go to the college. The Fullbright Commission website has useful hints and tips to help you out in deciding what college to apply to.

Next I would start thinking about SATs or ACTs. Decide which one you find the bets Get the prep books from Amazon, go to http://www.collegeboard.org/sat (if you decide to take the SAT) and try some practice questions, get a feel for the SATs and probably in a year or two, book a date to take them. I recommend taking them at least two times since stats show that a lot of people do better the second time round, and you only have to send your best score to the colleges!

At this stage I'd just be collecting information and try to do as many extra curricular activities as you can. Good luck with your future application! :smile:
Original post by robster01
THANKS A LOT :biggrin: Im on 3 sports teams :smile: I will talk to my teachers and see whether they have any contacts or advice that i could use. I want to go to America for the experience, but also because I like their way of life more than I do here (sorry guys :tongue:)

No problem :smile:

Going for the experience is fine, that's what I wanted to do, all I'd say is do think about if a liberal arts course will suit you. Are you really set on studying one particular thing at university already? The other thing is, try and choose A-Levels like maths, English, a language and a humanity, since I think they'll be most useful preparation for a liberal arts course. Or you could do IB if it's an option for you, but I have a friend who looked (in much more detail than me) at American colleges and she said a lot of what would be covered in the first two years was a similar kind of level to IB.
Also, I agree with what you say about the lifestyle XD

Original post by chunderseverywhere
First I'd recommend browsing through some universities you'd like to go to. I applied to Penn State and Rutgers in the end since I really liked the look of them and plus their much cheaper than private colleges (e.g Ivy Leauge ones). Over there its not really focused about the course that you want to study (like some people find over here) but rather why you want to go to the college. The Fullbright Commission website has useful hints and tips to help you out in deciding what college to apply to.

They're cheaper but because they're government funded they very rarely give scholarships or financial aid to international students. However, I have no idea what your finances or ability to pay such a huge amount of money each year are, so this may or may not matter to you.
Reply 31
Original post by lindie

Harvard was 6% this year, Yale was 7%. Both the lowest in the history of both universities. Cornell had the highest acceptance rate of the Ivies at 19%. Brown, Columbia and Princeton were all around 10%.

This being said, it's not like it is in the UK where you are limited to five universities and only one out of Oxford/Cambridge. People often apply to 12-15 places and see how the financial aid/scholarships comes back for them (and pick Chicago over Harvard or something). As a result, Yale made 2,000 offers this year for 1,300 places. In other words, they expect over one third of those getting an offer to pick somewhere else! At Oxford, they expect almost everyone to accept.

More generally (if anyone is interested:smile:

If we worked on the same system, everyone would apply to both Oxford and Cambridge if they were applying to one, and some would apply anyway because they weren't limited to four other choices. The number of applications would treble and they'd have to make more offers incase someone picked Cambridge (there are insane people out there, you know) and the acceptance rate would probably drop slightly (it's currently 14%) and it'd look a lot like the Ivy League.

In the UK, what you find is that some universities with a very high number of applicants per place might also have a lot of people applying to Oxford or Imperial and thus they have to make a load of offers. Manchester has places like Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Birmingham relatively close by, so the 50,000 applications doesn't mean a very low acceptance rate. Edinburgh gets about ten applications per place, but makes roughly four offers for every place it has because it expects people to often pick somewhere else. So the admission rate is 37% there. There are some universities with far fewer applications and applications per place than that around with a much lower percentage of students getting offers, simply because they know that the people that apply are likely to want to go there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending