Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the cheapest way of getting the new macbook pro? (retina display)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Don't get me wrong, I own a Mac, but has anyone ever thought how Apple came to the conclusion that the 'retina screen' has more pixels than the eyes can see?

Its misleading, and the way they've worded it is false advertising.
    This is a really good read: http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-...nough-feature/

How true it is, I don't know, but its still interesting.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ehtii-_-96)
    Im mainly talking about the operating system, OSX Lion is far superior than windows 7. Everything is designed to give you a better user experience- a example are the tonnes of multi-touch gestures you can do. I thought it would feel really weird- but you get acclimatised to them straight away. Another big factor is the trackpad, the trackpad on macs is incredible, its so responsive and links in perfectly with multi-touch gestures. You really need to try it yourself- its alot better than any other window alternative.
    I use arch-linux and have windows readily available as a dualboot option. Practically crafting every aspect of an operating system to suit my wants and needs for FREE is far better than another Unix based operating system known as apple OS which is restrictive in many ways and costs money to upgrade. I don't like windows too much, but I'd definitely take it over mac any day.

I'm not too bothered about navigation. I run most things/perform most operations through terminal. The whole "multi touch" nonsense is just another gimmick and does not justify the purchase of a mac.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Don't get me wrong, I own a Mac, but has anyone ever thought how Apple came to the conclusion that the 'retina screen' has more pixels than the eyes can see?

Its misleading, and the way they've worded it is false advertising.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/01/retin...oing-the-math/

It's easy to be a cynic and call it dirty marketing. Harder to google search. Even then, go ahead and take a trip to your local Apple store and compare the screen to the 'classic' Macbook Pro 15". The difference is staggering and that isn't even hyperbole. Have a read what Anandtech think of the screen quality, Anand doesn't throw "the retina screen is better than the jump from the original iPhone and iPad screen" around easily. There is quite a big difference.

In relation to Mac depreciation. I agree that to use that as an argument in favour of a Mac is ridiculous, but it is true. You'll recoup more money from your Mac purchase than you would of the PC OEM. (Of course you could argue that you would have saved that money buying a PC OEM in the first place). My iMac is around 15 months old, paid £1150 (i7 CPU upgrade + edu discount)), fitted 12gb 3rd party ram for an extra £40 along with the standard 3 year warranty and if I did want to sell it today I would lose £70. That's not bad for a 15 month old piece of kit.

And the MBPR. Right now there is nothing out there which comes close to what the package is offering on the whole. Let's not be way too simplistic and claim that there are PC OEMs building the exact same laptops as the MBPR for half the price, right now; there aren't.

Oh and MBPR prices; I'd be curious to see any laptops with 7 hours battery life, 1gb Nvidia 650m, i7 2.3ghz quad core, 8gb ram, reasonable resolution display and 256gb SSD storage for /significantly/ cheaper. I'm willing to trade off the thinness and a resolution as high as the MBPR, naturally.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    I use arch-linux and have windows readily available as a dualboot option. Practically crafting every aspect of an operating system to suit my wants and needs for FREE is far better than another Unix based operating system known as apple OS which is restrictive in many ways and costs money to upgrade. I don't like windows too much, but I'd definitely take it over mac any day.

I'm not too bothered about navigation. I run most things/perform most operations through terminal. The whole "multi touch" nonsense is just another gimmick and does not justify the purchase of a mac.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Your point about trackpads/gestures. It's all subjective, it's indisputable that Mac trackpads are much better than windows for their actual size, feel and the 'multi touch gestures' and it's the main reason why PC OEMs are slowly trying to improve on this. You might think that they're a gimmick but being able to 3 finger swipe across all my virtual desktops, downwards swipe to expose and upwards swipe to window sort is a huge blessing for me. Plus two finger scroll anywhere on the trackpad is significant. It's not a 'gimmick', it's just a case of a thing which doesn't affect how you control a computer, that's fine. But to call it a gimmick because it doesn't suit your needs? It seems calling some things Apple do 'gimmicks' is somehow the way to dispute a unique point they actually offer.

However calling Lion superior to Windows 7? They're about equal. Lion was a farce really, aside from multi touch gestures. It is too cumbersome and was way too buggy for a release. Thankfully my experience on Mountain Lion DP is much better and how Lion should have been. However this has always been the case with Apple. The 'tick' OS upgrade is always the superior update for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaddiescandy)
    The base model with student discount is not £1528.80, I just looked online and it is £1,654.80
    Not if you're a HE student it's not. I bought one last week, it's definitely £1528.80, that was through Loughborough Uni's Apple Edu site but it is the same price on practically all University specific Edu pages.

If you look on the general student discount page without specifying your University it will be more expensive.

You get the 3 years free warranty if you buy it over the phone or online, but not if you buy it in store. Something to do with when Apple won the contract for providing computers to HE and this was one of the terms they had to agree to. They don't get it in America.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouboutinLove)
    Not if you're a HE student it's not. I bought one last week, it's definitely £1528.80, that was through Loughborough Uni's Apple Edu site but it is the same price on practically all University specific Edu pages.

If you look on the general student discount page without specifying your University it will be more expensive.

You get the 3 years free warranty if you buy it over the phone or online, but not if you buy it in store. Something to do with when Apple won the contract for providing computers to HE and this was one of the terms they had to agree to. They don't get it in America.
    ahh Thanks for the answer! Just bought the macbook for £1340! So excited! woop woop!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PVisitors)
    Your point about trackpads/gestures. It's all subjective, it's indisputable that Mac trackpads are much better than windows for their actual size, feel and the 'multi touch gestures' and it's the main reason why PC OEMs are slowly trying to improve on this. You might think that they're a gimmick but being able to 3 finger swipe across all my virtual desktops, downwards swipe to expose and upwards swipe to window sort is a huge blessing for me. Plus two finger scroll anywhere on the trackpad is significant. It's not a 'gimmick', it's just a case of a thing which doesn't affect how you control a computer, that's fine. But to call it a gimmick because it doesn't suit your needs? It seems calling some things Apple do 'gimmicks' is somehow the way to dispute a unique point they actually offer.

However calling Lion superior to Windows 7? They're about equal. Lion was a farce really, aside from multi touch gestures. It is too cumbersome and was way too buggy for a release. Thankfully my experience on Mountain Lion DP is much better and how Lion should have been. However this has always been the case with Apple. The 'tick' OS upgrade is always the superior update for me.
    Yes, it is all subjective; but they're also far more expensive and not essential in any way. There are lots of customizable methods to do everything you have listed on Linux distributions, without having to buy any accessories. It's a gimmick in the same way that voice control is a gimmick to boost smart phone sales. (Siri, S-Voice, etc)

I have a family member who has had Apple laptops/PCs before, so don't think I'm basing my argument having not used Apple's current and previous operating systems. I dislike both Microsoft and Apple for their operating systems, but at the same time I understand that the majority of people who own a computer will not be able to/know about/want to do what I have done with Arch.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You get 3 years free warranty with HE discount.

You don't get 3 years of Apple Care though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouboutinLove)
    Student price for the Retina base model is £1528.80. Use Quidco to get a further 4% cashback which is roughly £60 further discount, making the laptop just under £1500. Pretty good price considering how amazing it looks/performs. I ordered mine last Sunday and am patiently waiting for it to be delivered sometime in mid July.

You also get a free £70 app store gift card.
    So basically, for £1500 you can get a mac that has the performance of an £800 windows based laptop but with a slightly better screen?

:eek:

Wow, bargain of the century.

*Before anybody accuses me of just hating on macs, I have used both mac & PC a huge amount, until about a year ago I had always owned both a mac & pc, and while I do like certain aspects of the mac OS I despise the company and everything they do.*
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    So basically, for £1500 you can get a mac that has the performance of an £800 windows based laptop but with a slightly better screen?

*Before anybody accuses me of just hating on macs, I have used both mac & PC a huge amount, until about a year ago I had always owned both a mac & pc, and while I do like certain aspects of the mac OS I despise the company and everything they do.*
    Lol slightly.

It's miles ahead of any display on the market right now let alone laptop displays.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who buys a mac is firstly a tosser and secondly a retard.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As the title says!
    cheapest way....

buy a windows
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

You included the operative word - Windows.

Personally can't stand it and would pay large sums of money to not have to use it, and yes I have used both. The way I see it is I buy a £800 Windows laptop which I keep for 2 years and have to buy a new one because it's slowed down to mud and I'm sick of it virus scanning, updating, crashing etc; or I buy an Apple laptop, keep it for 4-5 years (as I have my current one bought in September 2007) and have few problems, any of which are solved by unrivaled technical support face to face, and a laptop that's still in good working condition after that time.

To get anything similar in looks and display, and I'm ignoring the horrendous operating system, the only even near equal would be a zenbook prime or dell ultra book, both of which are very similar in price to the retina MacBook Pro.

Oh, and the important point of It's my money and I can spend it how I like.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

That's your problem. You're being blinded by your despise of Apple. Whether you like it or not Apple are a main factor, not the only factor, in the push for Intel to increase graphical performance of their new generation architecture (Haswell in particular) and for computer industries to start to focus on things such as keyboards and trackpads. Whether you like Apple or not, they have done good things for the market in driving PC OEMs to perform better. The MBPR will do the same.

And £1500 for an £800 performance. Again I'll repeat; find me a Windows laptop with equivalent battery life, a high res screen (x1050 or x1080), similar dimensions/weight, an i7 quadcore CPU, 1gb GT650m, 8gb ram and an SSD (ignoring the fact that the MBPR is using one of the fastest controllers on the market). I'll give you a few tips; Dell (and Alienware), Sony Vaio and Thinkpads are more expensive and make huge compromises for the price.

I can tell you now, the price won't be £800.

(In B4 "everybody still uses optical disc drives1111!!").

Edit: Slightly!?!? Dude the resolution is 4x the amount of a good 15" laptop. Drag yourself down to an Apple store and see for yourself. Why do you think every review site is drooling and hyping the high resolution screen? Is it because every single popular and well known review site are Apple fanboys, or is it because they're not as short sighted as you and can tip their hat to good technology. I think it's latter, don't you? Or are all these sites dirty Apple fanboys who know nothing? Go and read Anandtech's review, probably THE best tech and review site. Anand has always been very critical of Macbooks, go have a look and see what he says about the MBPR.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the vast majority of users the difference between the two operating systems is negligible and any strong opinions either way are more to do with familiarity with one or the other than anything else.

So the main thing is the hardware, which Apple nearly always gets right. All of the competitors that people cite as offering better specs for more money always fall down somewhere, usually battery life, thinness, awful keyboards/trackpads, poor quality displays, generally poor build quality or simply bad aesthetics. I used a Mac for a while and the trackpad was just glorious, and I would pay a lot of money for that experience but unfortunately Apple doesn't give me the opportunity to pay that premium while also saving elsewhere as I really don't need the specs of a Pro but want more storage than an Air.

That said, there are plenty of high end PCs that do match Macs in all these areas but are unsurprisingly at similar price points.

All I'm saying is that it's arrogant and petty to judge people and even claim you hate them for purchasing a product from a particular company. Not everyone is the same, people have different expectations when making purchases. And for roughly 7% of PC buyers, these expectations are better met by a Mac.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I get the 20% back and get the student discount and do quidco and sell the itunes gift card?
    Of cause not. You either are a student and get the student discount or the MacBook is purchased by a company which gets a refund of the VAT - a company as an institution cannot be a student :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait until gen 2 of the Retina Macbooks myself; gen 2 is bound to be significantly better as the technology will have matured a bit/apps start to actually support retina, and the gen 1 ones will depreciate massively.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PVisitors)
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/01/retin...oing-the-math/

It's easy to be a cynic and call it dirty marketing. Harder to google search. Even then, go ahead and take a trip to your local Apple store and compare the screen to the 'classic' Macbook Pro 15". The difference is staggering and that isn't even hyperbole. Have a read what Anandtech think of the screen quality, Anand doesn't throw "the retina screen is better than the jump from the original iPhone and iPad screen" around easily. There is quite a big difference.

In relation to Mac depreciation. I agree that to use that as an argument in favour of a Mac is ridiculous, but it is true. You'll recoup more money from your Mac purchase than you would of the PC OEM. (Of course you could argue that you would have saved that money buying a PC OEM in the first place). My iMac is around 15 months old, paid £1150 (i7 CPU upgrade + edu discount)), fitted 12gb 3rd party ram for an extra £40 along with the standard 3 year warranty and if I did want to sell it today I would lose £70. That's not bad for a 15 month old piece of kit.

And the MBPR. Right now there is nothing out there which comes close to what the package is offering on the whole. Let's not be way too simplistic and claim that there are PC OEMs building the exact same laptops as the MBPR for half the price, right now; there aren't.

Oh and MBPR prices; I'd be curious to see any laptops with 7 hours battery life, 1gb Nvidia 650m, i7 2.3ghz quad core, 8gb ram, reasonable resolution display and 256gb SSD storage for /significantly/ cheaper. I'm willing to trade off the thinness and a resolution as high as the MBPR, naturally.
    Your Wrong (although I like OS X, not everybody is in love with the Macs Software and alot quite simply prefer windows) the HP Envy 15-3200 which has a Ivy Bridge Refesh, Equivalent i7 processor, ram and ssd, decent gddr5 graphics, 1080p ips display, beats audio, WIDI, Slot loading disc drive, 10 hour 15 minutes quoted battery life (will more like be in line with the Macs), solid design and basically very similar specs and can be found for around $1300 which I'd say is considerably cheaper than the Retina Macbook Pro ($2200) and updated 2011 Macbook Pro no ssd ($1800). A retina display/OS X doesn't justify both their prices to me (+ I've seen and used the retina mac and I personally think they left to many things out on a supposed PRO model. I also think it's a joke that just by adding a 256gb ssd to the updated 2011 version makes it more expensive than the Retina as I pretty much prefer to have a disc drive and all the ports of the old one, and yes I can afford 1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mainz)
    Your Wrong (although I like OS X, not everybody is in love with the Macs Software and alot quite simply prefer windows) the HP Envy 15-3200 which has a Ivy Bridge Refesh, Equivalent i7 processor, ram and ssd, decent gddr5 graphics, 1080p ips display, beats audio, WIDI, Slot loading disc drive, 10 hour 15 minutes quoted battery life (will more like be in line with the Macs), solid design and basically very similar specs and can be found for around $1300 which I'd say is considerably cheaper than the Retina Macbook Pro ($2200) and updated 2011 Macbook Pro no ssd ($1800). A retina display/OS X doesn't justify both their prices to me (+ I've seen and used the retina mac and I personally think they left to many things out on a supposed PRO model. I also think it's a joke that just by adding a 256gb ssd to the updated 2011 version makes it more expensive than the Retina as I pretty much prefer to have a disc drive and all the ports of the old one, and yes I can afford 1
    Before replying to post, I think it's too expensive at it's retail price, but the student discount does make it more worth the money. If you look at the build quality of Apple products (I'm not saying the HP Envy is bad, and it does look similar to the MBPro, not the Retina version as it's still a thinner profile, maybe HP found a cheap way of producing their chassis, as it looks like it's Unibody?), it's just that they had to build specific machines to carve such a uni-body out of a piece of aluminium and everything within the machine was tailored so that everything could fit within the laptop. This is one of the main reasons why the unibody machines were so expensive in the past, it was one of the selling point features, a nice looking chassis. The components are machines are very compacted, it's like a tight puzzle that has been self-tailored and puzzled together instead of buying pre-existing components that don't fit as perfectly together.

Comparing your 32XX series i7 Ivybridge processor to the baseline 36XX processor isn't right, as this processor actually does perform marginally better if you use that much processing power, such as rendering a 3D model or encoding video files. Equivalent isn't the right word.

The 650M is slightly better then the 7750 in the HP Envy. (Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gami...s-gt-650m.html). I don't know the brand of SSD in HP Envy, but the MBP'R use the Samsung SSD in some of it's machines and this is the fastest, reporting around 400 Read / 450 Write (Black Magic Disk Test).

I'm not saying it's an affordable machine, but it's definitely worth it for those who can afford it and are looking for a new laptop for video editing/photography work etc. Most consumers will be happy with a MBA 11'' / 13'', so you don't need to spend this much on a laptop if you are only using it mainly for being on Facebook/writing essays/listening to music/watching films and skyping. Heck' even the MBA is a bit overkill for these tasks, since you can manage graphic/photography/web design work on these machines. (Light graphic design, don't expect huge a2/a3 canvas).

There's nothing wrong with the HP Envy though, but you can see the obvious influence in design too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nearly)
    Before replying to post, I think it's too expensive at it's retail price, but the student discount does make it more worth the money. If you look at the build quality of Apple products (I'm not saying the HP Envy is bad, and it does look similar to the MBPro, not the Retina version as it's still a thinner profile, maybe HP found a cheap way of producing their chassis, as it looks like it's Unibody?), it's just that they had to build specific machines to carve such a uni-body out of a piece of aluminium and everything within the machine was tailored so that everything could fit within the laptop. This is one of the main reasons why the unibody machines were so expensive in the past, it was one of the selling point features, a nice looking chassis. The components are machines are very compacted, it's like a tight puzzle that has been self-tailored and puzzled together instead of buying pre-existing components that don't fit as perfectly together.

Comparing your 32XX series i7 Ivybridge processor to the baseline 36XX processor isn't right, as this processor actually does perform marginally better if you use that much processing power, such as rendering a 3D model or encoding video files. Equivalent isn't the right word.

The 650M is slightly better then the 7750 in the HP Envy. (Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gami...s-gt-650m.html). I don't know the brand of SSD in HP Envy, but the MBP'R use the Samsung SSD in some of it's machines and this is the fastest, reporting around 400 Read / 450 Write (Black Magic Disk Test).

I'm not saying it's an affordable machine, but it's definitely worth it for those who can afford it and are looking for a new laptop for video editing/photography work etc. Most consumers will be happy with a MBA 11'' / 13'', so you don't need to spend this much on a laptop if you are only using it mainly for being on Facebook/writing essays/listening to music/watching films and skyping. Heck' even the MBA is a bit overkill for these tasks, since you can manage graphic/photography/web design work on these machines. (Light graphic design, don't expect huge a2/a3 canvas).

There's nothing wrong with the HP Envy though, but you can see the obvious influence in design too.
    Ye I agree and think it should at least cost the same price as the it would with a student discount but was at the apple store the other day as I was actually thinking of buying one till I found out about the lack of disc drive and adapters you have to buy for ports they left out which bring up the cost even more, I then looked at the updated 2011 model then customised it just with a 256gb SSD (no display upgrades or anything else) and it came up to £1899 or something like that (obviously not including discount), what a total ripoff as it's cheaper to get the Retina (although you gotta buy extras) so it put me off getting one.

HP Envy does have solid build uni-body that's well built judging by reviews, the Envy model I quoted for around $1300 has the i7-3610QM which is basically the same as the MBP Retina (you can also easily add a 2.6 Ghz i7-3720QM ($280) or a 2.7 Ghz i7-3820QM ($505) with it still being cheaper and outperform both the MBP Retina + the updated 2011 MBP with a 256gb ssd), yes the gpu is slightly more powerful on the MBP but not nearly enough to be a deal breaker, Envy is using Samsung SSD. Yep it's obvious the HP has been purposely made to compete with the Macbook Pro and I'm not complaining as I think the design/touchpads are the best thing about Macbooks (+ I think it's a pretty great alternative for people who wan't a mac but need/prefer windows).

I believe a lot of general consumers get drawn into Apples may I say very clever adverts and think there getting the best value for money, I too believe these machines are a overkill for a general consumers needs but well at least it will last that just abit longer than the rest. I also don't think were ready to get rid of disc drives + increase thunderbolts (expensive accessories, USB 3 will do for most) just yet and for Apples flagship MBP I'm surprised they decided to remove so much + its not upgradable (even the battery can't be replaced).

Check this review http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy...w.72051.0.html although this is not the Ivy Bridge with new CPU/GPU, the new HP Envy 15-32XX Series now has all USB 3.0 slots, a new fixed Radiance display, better battery life and other improvements.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.