Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Social conservatism works

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2025546

I came accross this thread for the second time and the data given is mighty interesting, there appears from this data set to be less of a correlation between being rich and high GCSE scores but a good correlation between coming from a culture which is socially conservative and doing well in school. How does this make you feel, is the nihilism of mainstream white society really worth it, in the future will the asians and black africans be the richest in the UK because of their willingness to work hard rather than expect an easy ride?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)

I came accross this thread for the second time and the data given is mighty interesting, there appears from this data set to be less of a correlation between being rich and high GCSE scores but a good correlation between coming from a culture which is socially conservative and doing well in school. How does this make you feel, is the nihilism of mainstream white society really worth it, in the future will the asians and black africans be the richest in the UK because of their willingness to work hard rather than expect an easy ride?
    Social conservatism isn't the reason why pupils in socially conservative countries achieve well, it's because their culture regards education very highly. This can be achieved in a socially liberal society.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Social conservatism isn't the reason why pupils in socially conservative countries achieve well, it's because their culture regards education very highly. This can be achieved in a socially liberal society.
    Most people want to do well at school, people don't fail on purpose but sometimes it takes support (read a kick up the ass from your mum) to make sure you achieve your full potential. The second thing is that I know many people who have failed exams because their mother or father wanted to have a life (read was caught shagging the milkman or the secretary), and nothing can really help the child in the case.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's both a culture that regards education highly and socially conservative culture which provides a solid background.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people want to do well at school, people don't fail on purpose but sometimes it takes support (read a kick up the ass from your mum) to make sure you achieve your full potential. The second thing is that I know many people who have failed exams because their mother or father wanted to have a life (read was caught shagging the milkman or the secretary), and nothing can really help the child in the case.
    You'd be surprised by how many people actually do fail on purpose because they don't see the point in getting good grades (well in my school anyway).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised by how many people actually do fail on purpose because they don't see the point in getting good grades (well in my school anyway).
    Unless your mother forced you take a university offer you didn't want nobody fails intentionally, these whizz-kids who mess around in class but know how to get the answer still do well in the exam, this 'I didn't try, because I don't care' thing is just something people say because they failed because they either didn't revise beforehand or they're unintelligent. The choice is sit the exam and either get bored and do nothing for 90 minutes or sit the exam and answer questions for 90 minutes, not sit the exam and do the questions or play football foor 90 minutes.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can education be prirotized within the framework of social liberalism? Yes. Can parents pressure and encourage their children within the framework of social liberalism? Yes. It's merely a matter of methods. Social liberals might use methods like restricting free/play time whereas social conservatives might use methods like shouting/slapping the child to get them to do their work.

Incompetent parents who don't give a **** about their children's education aren't socially liberal. They're just incompetent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

No
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They do. Then they get a ****ty job at minimum wage, realize how depressing a life style that is and start a vocational college course.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think this is a case of 'you can make statistics say anything you want'. You could just as easily point to the fact that the best universities in the USA are overwhelmingly in the less conservative parts of the country. Neither really proves anything.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a correlation between stable two parent families and success. Asians and black Africans are more likely to have a stable family so I think that contributes to their success, whereas I read something like 50% of black Caribbean children grow up with a single parent. This no doubt negatively effects their education.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless your mother forced you take a university offer you didn't want nobody fails intentionally, these whizz-kids who mess around in class but know how to get the answer still do well in the exam, this 'I didn't try, because I don't care' thing is just something people say because they failed because they either didn't revise beforehand or they're unintelligent. The choice is sit the exam and either get bored and do nothing for 90 minutes or sit the exam and answer questions for 90 minutes, not sit the exam and do the questions or play football foor 90 minutes.
    Not true at all, I've seen very intelligent people in my sixth form merely laying down and sleeping in the exam and leaving saying 'I couldn't be bothered'. Some people actually just don't care, as sad as that may be :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is "mainstream white society"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    I think there is a correlation between stable two parent families and success. Asians and black Africans are more likely to have a stable family so I think that contributes to their success, whereas I read something like 50% of black Caribbean children grow up with a single parent. This no doubt negatively effects their education.
    Not really. I'm from a single parent family and a lot of my friends are, and we've all done well for ourselves. At the end of the day it's about how well the single parent raises you. Having two parental units offers no tangible benefit over a single strong one.

On topic, I'd agree with the guy who says it's about how valued education is in the overall culture. In Britain, it's almost as if noone cares in a lot of places - in terms of parents, students and teaching staff. Unmotivated students are being taught by unmotivated teachers, with unmotivated parents who don't really care. And understandably so. It's hard to be motivated when you're working in a dilapidated, Soviet-esque building with some musty old textbooks which a lot of teachers still insist on using. The problem is exacerbated when people go on the news, compaining that exams are too easy and that young people are the cause of all the world's problems.

In short: Social Conservatism doesn't = success, investment in education, both fiscally and psychologically, does.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyakushiki1234)
    Not really. I'm from a single parent family and a lot of my friends are, and we've all done well for ourselves. At the end of the day it's about how well the single parent raises you. Having two parental units offers no tangible benefit over a single strong one.

On topic, I'd agree with the guy who says it's about how valued education is in the overall culture. In Britain, it's almost as if noone cares in a lot of places - in terms of parents, students and teaching staff. Unmotivated students are being taught by unmotivated teachers, with unmotivated parents who don't really care. And understandably so. It's hard to be motivated when you're working in a dilapidated, Soviet-esque building with some musty old textbooks which a lot of teachers still insist on using. The problem is exacerbated when people go on the news, compaining that exams are too easy and that young people are the cause of all the world's problems.

In short: Social Conservatism doesn't = success, investment in education, both fiscally and psychologically, does.
    Sorry, just to be clear I never said all people with a single parent are bound to fail at life - that would obviously be ridiculous and there are plenty of dedicated single parents out there who work hard with their kids. However, I still think people who only have a single parent are more disadvantaged on average.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    What is "mainstream white society"?
    White people tend to be less religious than black africans and south asians who often follow religions which encourage traditional morality such as parents sticking together and not tolerating their children abusing alcohol.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it is mostly about parenting. However, it often seems that there is an unfortunate link between wealth and stable/good parenting.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    White people tend to be less religious than black africans and south asians who often follow religions which encourage traditional morality such as parents sticking together and not tolerating their children abusing alcohol.

I.e. anti-liberals. White people once had this strict nature. Thing is, the oldest people around were young adults during the 60s and most parents grew up during/after the 60s meaning white parents sympathise with their kids wanting to drink etc. Dad was fine with me drinking. He knew I wasn't some Stella drinking chav hanging around on streets outside shops in groups causing trouble. We've just focused on ensuring that our kids are mature. It is not always the case that youths are responsible but it is also not always the case that they are. I can think of examples of liberal but responsible families and those who don't care about anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Social conservatism is presumptive. Can you prove these ideals are best practice?

Besides, you mention black Africa, which despite being conservative has not contributed much to human civilisation. And please don't mention slavery, even before the slave trade you didn't.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.