Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Difference between Turning point and Stationary point

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalclearmagic)
    They're used rather interchangeably in maths even at A level - no?

If they're two different things, then Edexcel has misled me for 2 years then... :/
    This is frequently mis-taught at A level. Another wrong idea is that 'if d2y/dx^2 = 0 then you have a point of inflection'. It's true you may have, but on the simple case of y = x^4 the second derivative is zero at the stationary point at the origin. But it's clearly a minimum.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    This is frequently mis-taught at A level. Another wrong idea is that 'if d2y/dx^2 = 0 then you have a point of inflection'. It's true you may have, but on the simple case of y = x^4 the second derivative is zero at the stationary point at the origin. But it's clearly a minimum.
    If d2y/dx2=0 and d3y/dx3 not= 0 then its a point of inflection, right?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Sorry

My question related to the fact that y=x^3-x has no such point at (0,0)
    Unless I've made some silly mistake, it does. All cubics have rotational symmetry about their point of inflection, which in this case is at (0,0). This curve switches from curving downwards for x<0 to curving upwards for x>0. The circle of curvature swaps sides at that point. But it's not a stationary point and is therefore a good example for me to use.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    If d2y/dx2=0 and d3y/dx3 not= 0 then its a point of inflection, right?
    I think so ... that way the gradient has either a local maximum or minimum, which causes the curvature to 'flip' whether or not it's a stationary point.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think so ... that way the gradient has either a local maximum or minimum, which causes the curvature to 'flip' whether or not it's a stationary point.
    Thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    THat just proves tenofthem right

Points of inflections are stationary points.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    THat just proves tenofthem right

Points of inflections are stationary points.
    It is written Inflection points may be stationary points

It is written 'may'?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7015050AAaHwNp
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    It is written Inflection points may be stationary points

It is written 'may'?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7015050AAaHwNp
    Thanks, I needed an example because it said may yet it offered no examples.

I still can't picture it visually though :s
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Thanks, I needed an example because it said may yet it offered no examples.

I still can't picture it visually though :s
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3+-x
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verello12)
    Is there a Difference between Turning point and Stationary point or are they the same thing.
    Im doing C3 OCR MEI btw.
    I know how to find turning point of a curve you do dy/dx=0 to get x then substiute x in curve equation to get y

If a question asked you to find stationary point of a curve would you just do the same thing?
    Yeah, but if it does equal o, and it could be a point of inflection to check, you put in the value of x in the original equation then x+0.1 and x-0.1 to check if it definitely is.

Have you tried checking the site for help.....it's bit hard trying to complain online
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^3+-x
    Thanks. I think it makes sense.

Because d2y/dx2 is 6x for that, so x is 0 gives a point of inflection but not a stationary point.

That's quite interesting because usually what you get for the 2nd differential is a constant due to terms only being quadratic so it's something new. Thanks.

EDIT: Usually it's not a constant, sorry, but usually when we do find the point of inflection, it's due to finding the gradient to be 0 in the first place, I get it now
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    True actually; at A level they stop at d2y/dx^2 - but because I did additional maths FSMQ, I know the use of d3y/dx^3

Ah, I don't believe even in maths there can be so many "lies" that they teach! thought it was only in science when they have to simplify things and so "lie" to us at GCSE.... haha

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.