The Student Room Group

CHEM 5 AQA Unofficial mark scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alan-93
it's ruby :colone:
and i thinnk the bond angle is 90, coz six ligands are bonded!

They wanted the bond angle between the two waters though, which were opposite each other.
Reply 41
Original post by Abbieastoria
Didn't want to quote your entire mark
Scheme so...

For the entropy question, like, the graph one. I put 100JK-1mol-1 cos I timesed the 0.1 by 1000 but gave the new units as 100 joules rather than 0.1 kilo joules think I'll get the marks?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah thats fine.
Reply 42
Original post by Abbieastoria
Didn't want to quote your entire mark
Scheme so...

For the entropy question, like, the graph one. I put 100JK-1mol-1 cos I timesed the 0.1 by 1000 but gave the new units as 100 joules rather than 0.1 kilo joules think I'll get the marks?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

As long as your units are right, then yes :tongue:

They're effectively the same thing.
Reply 43
Original post by Josh1993

b) 0.1 KJmol^-1k^-1 ΔS (3)

Quick point on this mark: the calculated gradient is positive, but to produce a graph like the one shown the entropy must be negative, so I believe the symbol was -ΔS:

If you do a straight line equation y = mx + c you get ΔG = (-ΔS)T+ΔH

Aside from that, it all looks good. Thanks!
Reply 44
Original post by TheDeviant
Quick point on this mark: the calculated gradient is positive, but to produce a graph like the one shown the entropy must be negative, so I believe the symbol was -ΔS:

If you do a straight line equation y = mx + c you get ΔG = (-ΔS)T+ΔH

Aside from that, it all looks good. Thanks!

Thank you , yeah that is a good point. cant see them penalising that though it would be very harsh but who knows after giving us a ratio above 100%
Reply 45
Do you think I would get the marks for writing p4o10 has two allotropes for q1b. Also, for the 12 mark questions when it asked to state the reagent, I only wrote ammonia or hydrochloric acid, didnt state that it should be in excess, would that be ok?
Reply 46

by definition entropy is JK-1MOL-1 so i converted mine to that. I dont know if it makes any difference. also im sure it wasnt exactly on a line at the top of the graph so not exactly 0.1 correct me if im wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
For the graph question, I didnt work out the gradient but I put J/k/mol3 and delta S. Would I loose all 3 mark?
Reply 48
Thank you , yeah that is a good point. cant see them penalising that though it would be very harsh but who knows after giving us a ratio above 100%

Its different though - if the gradient was equal to the positive delta S then it messed up the next question
Reply 49
Original post by popat06
Do you think I would get the marks for writing p4o10 has two allotropes for q1b. Also, for the 12 mark questions when it asked to state the reagent, I only wrote ammonia or hydrochloric acid, didnt state that it should be in excess, would that be ok?

They might have wanted you to state concentrated but I would think that will be fine.
Reply 50
Original post by Msd27
Its different though - if the gradient was equal to the positive delta S then it messed up the next question

It would not have messed up the next question as this calculation was not needed for futher questions.I do not think they would be too fussed as i expect they only wanted an appreciation of the fact it represented entropy.
Reply 51
Original post by rlaekdnlt5
For the graph question, I didnt work out the gradient but I put J/k/mol3 and delta S. Would I loose all 3 mark?

No, 1 would expect.
Reply 52
Original post by affleming
by definition entropy is JK-1MOL-1 so i converted mine to that. I dont know if it makes any difference. also im sure it wasnt exactly on a line at the top of the graph so not exactly 0.1 correct me if im wrong.

They will have a specified range of answers. the numerical answers would make no odds as long as the units are changed accordingly.
Reply 53
They will have a specified range of answers. the numerical answers would make no odds as long as the units are changed accordingly.

but can delta S be represented by different units? probably but i dont know.
Reply 54
Anyone got an idea on what the grade boundaries will be?

Thanks for the mark scheme btw!
Reply 55
Original post by affleming
but can delta S be represented by different units? probably but i dont know.

Yes they are only presented in this format to "keep the numbers nice" so to speak.
It should be fine.
Reply 56
Original post by spazna
Anyone got an idea on what the grade boundaries will be?

Thanks for the mark scheme btw!

no probs.:biggrin:
Reply 57
marked mine, and i think (marked really harsh like, if i wasnt sure if it was a 1/2 marker like i just gave me 1 even if i think i gt 2 marks and stuff... but that to be expected)
i got 59 ... anybody predict me a grade?
Reply 58
I think I got around 70/100 give or take a few marks! I'm hoping this is around an A but hopefully unit 4 will boost my mark up :smile:. This was definitely a horrible paper compared to previous ones so I think an A will be 69/70/71. Lowest I've seen is 71. Thanks for the mark scheme man, it's really put me at ease. The question which bothers me the most is the recharging cell one. Was the reaction we had to give when it was recharging i.e. the opposite to the normal reaction of the cell or did we have to give the normal reaction of the cell....It's driving me crazy!
Reply 59
Original post by PDudley
I think I got around 70/100 give or take a few marks! I'm hoping this is around an A but hopefully unit 4 will boost my mark up :smile:. This was definitely a horrible paper compared to previous ones so I think an A will be 69/70/71. Lowest I've seen is 71. Thanks for the mark scheme man, it's really put me at ease. The question which bothers me the most is the recharging cell one. Was the reaction we had to give when it was recharging i.e. the opposite to the normal reaction of the cell or did we have to give the normal reaction of the cell....It's driving me crazy!

They said recharged implying that the charging process was over so I can only assume they wanted it normally. If they wanted it the other way they should have made it more clear. They should award both for the ambuguity in the question.

what did you do out of curiosity?

Hope evreyone did well.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending