The Student Room Group

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony? (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Pinnerite
So far I have potential meetees for Sunday as Sunday shopper Flakeydom (plus spreadsheet hopefully :biggrin:) and hard working-absOn, commonliner, drumbeat, Mum of Students, Kit-Yan and Olympian and yours truly. Anymore we should look out for or that I have missed and could any 51er suggest a suitable meeting place if we do decide to meet up at the stadium??

Assuming this is the latest list, I'll be there too! Tap East is my preferred venue!
Original post by cornishscot
...... but hopefully not until after 9th September 2012 now (with fingers crossed that the problem clears up/does not get worse in the interim hopefully, just in case you do get to perform).

Thanks Cornish.

Next appointment is 6th September, but I know nothing with happen straight after that. That will be the day i find out how bad it is.

I dont think it will clear up, but touch wood it wont get worse, so if needed i can perform :biggrin:
Reply 182
Did anyone hear casting last night say that they would not be taking on any reserves now due to time limitations in getting CRB checked, accredited, etc? I didn't as I (a) had taken earphones out and (b) was busy with management (as I lost my pouch bag containing phone, oyster card, money in our last routine - thankfully someone found it and handed it in) but this was a topic of conversation on the route to the station. But having said that we had 3 newbies last night.
Reply 183
Original post by LuckyNumber2012

Anyway... I posted back in April when i found out that i had a cast offer in the Olympic Closing Ceremony. Since then I have had 5 rehearsals that have been cancelled :frown: We should have started 23rd May but our first rehearsal isnt until 1st July now! Im finding it really frustrating lol i just want to know what we will be actually doing! Cant wait! I just hope they dont cancel again...

I have also auditioned for the Rio handover (May 26th 2pm) :biggrin:
I wrote on my availibility form that i couldnt do the Olympic one as i am already in the closing.. but then I heard back from them on Friday congratulating me on getting in :biggrin: I asked if it was for the Paralympics but they said no the Olympics.
I told them i had marked it on the form that i couldnt & they said they would see if they can work around it so that i can do both. If not they should be able to put me in the Paralympics.
I then got a call Monday saying it wont be possible to do both & asked me to email them to say i would like to do the paras.
And then i got an email congratulating me on getting into the Olympic closing lol... So at the moment i dont really have a clue what im doing but probably the Paralympics closing.

LOL!! That lot will make Flakeydom's spreadsheet explode!
Original post by kayleighbaby
When did you receive your confirmation email Terpsikhore?

Still haven't had it (I phoned last night to query and was told not to worry, they just hadn't gotten round to sending mine yet). A friend forwarded me theirs to read, which is how comes I know what it says.

Original post by LuckyNumber2012
I have also auditioned for the Rio handover (May 26th 2pm) :biggrin:
I wrote on my availibility form that i couldnt do the Olympic one as i am already in the closing.. but then I heard back from them on Friday congratulating me on getting in :biggrin: I asked if it was for the Paralympics but they said no the Olympics.
I told them i had marked it on the form that i couldnt & they said they would see if they can work around it so that i can do both. If not they should be able to put me in the Paralympics.
I then got a call Monday saying it wont be possible to do both & asked me to email them to say i would like to do the paras.
And then i got an email congratulating me on getting into the Olympic closing lol... So at the moment i dont really have a clue what im doing but probably the Paralympics closing.

Im so excited about the whole thing! This will be an experience of a lifetime! :biggrin:

Id like to say THANK YOU to everyone on here... without you i wouldnt have even known about the Rio auditions! Its amazing how supportive everyone is :clap2:

Hurrah! Congrats. :smile: What role?
Reply 185
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
Thanks Cornish.

Next appointment is 6th September, but I know nothing with happen straight after that. That will be the day i find out how bad it is.

I dont think it will clear up, but touch wood it wont get worse, so if needed i can perform :biggrin:

Hi again :smile:
You have the same injury (?) as me......I have torn my anterior meniscus, last Wednesday on way home from 1st Rehearsal!!! Been to hospital, GP and physio twice now and its making great progress! Been signed off till next Tuesday as I work in primary school so very difficult manoeuvring around a class with little uns and chairs and desks with a crutch!!!!!
So speedy recovery...:smile:
Original post by Terpsikhore

Hurrah! Congrats. :smile: What role?

Thank you!! Dancing in pattern :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bignic12
Hi again :smile:
You have the same injury (?) as me......I have torn my anterior meniscus, last Wednesday on way home from 1st Rehearsal!!! Been to hospital, GP and physio twice now and its making great progress! Been signed off till next Tuesday as I work in primary school so very difficult manoeuvring around a class with little uns and chairs and desks with a crutch!!!!!
So speedy recovery...:smile:

Yeah i think it is similar, but not as bad as yours, as I can still walk etc, which is why there is no rush on it.

Ah yes, that would be difficult, with all the children.

You too, you need to get to your rehersals!!!
Reply 188
Original post by kayleighbaby
Not sure if I'm reading these threads right (sorry i'm a newbie) But I think it's unfair to say that people have only been successful because they are either tall/good looking/both. I'm sure there are many people who are good dancers/drummers and have good availability for rehearsals (ie they are not performing in other ceremonies). Please ignore me if Ive got the wrong end of the stick :-)

I would guess it was a combination of factors. Maybe availability/looks played a small part but they would never pick someone who wasn't capable. Pretty doesn't pay the bills so those selected must have had the skills as well as the looks. I am sure being hot never hurts though :wink: Having said that, pretty much everyone in my Rio audition was quite attractive!

For the main ceremonies casting they were looking for so many people that they could afford to block people into certain groups, eg tall and model-esque beautiful women we are hearing of for prominent roles (alas I would never make that team :frown: ha), burly men etc. As the handover is not such a big scale I wonder whether they have enough room to play around with that kind of thing. I'm keen to see the show. The London handover seemed pretty small scale and made up of professionals, this will seemingly be quite a different approach.
The London Handover videos (availabile on YouTube) are worth watching again too - so stereotypical of Johnny foreigners' perspective of English life I thought with the umbrellas, queuing patiently in orderly lines for buses with a newspaper, drinking tea etc. etc. - all perfectly true in reality pretty much <ha ha> and so well executed with/without professionals in the field of play.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 190
I have one spare free ticket for the Big Brother Live eviction tomorrow night (Fri) yeah I know sad, but its an experiece right :smile: It would mean meeting at Waterloo at approx 5 - 5.15 or Boreham wood at about 6pm. Its two people on the one ticket, so we would have to go in together. Anyone intersted, PM me. :smile:
51ers have been informed that people with very special dietary requirements should bring their own food to the stadium.
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options are available, but should be pre-ordered via the CCs.

And check TfL for Sunday, there are some disruptions.
Reply 192
It looks as if Tap East is the preferred meeting place for Sunday at 1.15ish or whenever we get there from our rehearsals. I may have missed some - in which case apologies- but I have the following people on my list, although other TSRs are welcome to join us on the day.

Flakeydom, absOn + 2 , commonliner, drumbeat, Mum of Students, Kit-Yan, Olympian, Quark999, RocKerG, Drummit and EllieAtWHL and Pinnerite.

The pub is on the lower ground floor at the far end of the shopping centre and near Waitrose. http://uk.westfield.com/shop/stores/tapeast/stratfordcity?category_root=dining&retailer=45390
"This brewery-pub offers a great selection of bottled beers with nearly 150 names to choose from, pale ale, stouts and experimental beers brewed on site as well as traditional pub food. 17 draught beers are offered straight from the keg and beers from around globe are constantly updated and rotated. Customers are even able to see the brewery from the bar."

Perhaps Flakeydom who has been there can advise on where at Tap East we should meet?

I am not sure we need any form of identification? I know at least half of you and probably everyone knows at least one other person? but I might give my pink Pinnerite T-shirt an airing in any case. Mum of Students and I cannot stay long but it will be great to meet up however short, although I shall be envious of you with those beers as I cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:.

Any comments/ more meetees?
Original post by commonliner
Check TfL for Sunday, there are some disruptions.

Here is the link for that:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend

Seems to be mainly DLR (e.g. Canning Town - possibly disrupting accreditation pass collection for some) and London Overground/East London branch end - possibly disruption other olympic ceremonies transport plans for some.

Good luck !
Reply 194
Original post by commonliner
51ers have been informed that people with very special dietary requirements should bring their own food to the stadium.
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options are available, but should be pre-ordered via the CCs.

And check TfL for Sunday, there are some disruptions.

Yep I have been told by casting I can take my own food but I shall take the letter with me in case challenged.

Yes there is no DLR on Saturday or Sunday from Canary Wharf to Stratford on Saturday or Sunday and no early morning trains from North Greenwich to Stratford on Sunday only but the Central line should be running OK.
Reply 195
Original post by cornishscot
Here is the link for that:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend

Seems to be mainly DLR (e.g. Canning Town - possibly disrupting accreditation pass collection for some) and London Overground/East London branch end - possibly disruption other olympic ceremonies transport plans for some.

Good luck !

yep DLR is my method of getting to stratford - will have to bus it or go into and out of town :frown:
Received email from Rio Handover.

I'm in!

Not too sure what to think actually because prior to opening it I was breathing a sigh of relief thinking it was the "Reserve" email that the guy told me about last week.

Not sure what to do now.

It's for Para Closing by the way.
Reply 197
Flakeydom, absOn + 2 , commonliner, drumbeat, Mum of Students, Kit-Yan, Olympian, Quark999, RocKerG, Drummit and EllieAtWHL and Pinnerite.

The pub is on the lower ground floor at the far end of the shopping centre and near Waitrose. http://uk.westfield.com/shop/stores/tapeast/stratfordcity?category_root=dining&retailer=45390
"This brewery-pub offers a great selection of bottled beers with nearly 150 names to choose from, pale ale, stouts and experimental beers brewed on site as well as traditional pub food. 17 draught beers are offered straight from the keg and beers from around globe are constantly updated and rotated. Customers are even able to see the brewery from the bar."

Perhaps Flakeydom who has been there can advise on where at Tap East we should meet?

I am not sure we need any form of identification? I know at least half of you and probably everyone knows at least one other person? but I might give my pink Pinnerite T-shirt an airing in any case. Mum of Students and I cannot stay long but it will be great to meet up however short, although I shall be envious of you with those beers as I cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:.

Any comments/ more meetees?

I will be there but also have another event on, would suggest we wear our ceremony id badges at least untill we are all present.
see all you Sunday
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dancerwoman
Received email from Rio Handover.

I'm in!

Not too sure what to think actually because prior to opening it I was breathing a sigh of relief thinking it was the "Reserve" email that the guy told me about last week.

Not sure what to do now.

It's for Para Closing by the way.

Woohoo ! - congratulations (so they are dealing with both handover ceremonies simultaneously after all, interesting to know).
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
Thanks Olympian, we shall see what happens :smile:

On a side note, went to the hospital with my knee today.....

X-Ray clear so no bone has come off
MRI - to be booked

But from what he said, I think a meniscus tear is looking very likely. But because I have to wait for my scan, there is nothing i can do but wait and deal with the pain until I next see him.... in September!!!!!

Sounds painful. Take it easy with your knee.

Can't believe how many of us are sporting (excuse the pun) injuries on this Forum. Take care out there!

Quick Reply

Latest