Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how would you deal with a customer like this? feel a bit upset.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's one of these guys

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2037884&page=3

You're his girl.

Sounds like you handled yourself ok, perhaps a manager could ask him to respect their employees?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i will continue with the devil's advocate on your statement.

of course you understand the situation perfectly because every woman thinks exactly the same way. the same way all pakis (forgive me for the expression - i am trying to make the point here) should act the same way, all blacks must have something in common that make them black.

research shows that some employees find their life partners in work place, they can be your client, they can be your co-worker. there is nothing morally wrong about this man's behaviour. some people do meet their love of their life this way. in fact if everyone in work place followed the formal regulations (that usually ban any informal contact among employees or clients), there would be no love in work place.

i think you live in a different parallel universe where men are perceived as dangerous. i want to say you are paranoid but because we live in 2 identical but separate worlds, you wouldnt understand why i think you are paranoid. you describe men like a prostitute. in the world i live there are formal rules that stop them (men or women) from crossing the line but in the world you live, its like everyone is for himself. i feel sorry for you. there is more incentive for 6th formers to study hard so that they dont become shopassistants - god helps, it must be a terrible profession.

(Original post by Taimmi)
    I know you're playing devils advocate here, but as a male I'm afraid you don't really understand the gravity of the situation. You don't have to worry as much about a strange man following you home in case he assaults you in some way. As a female I can relate to this and I certainly don't see how she should learn to live with it as this man sounds potentially dangerous with his unhealthy obsession with her.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does sound creepy, although he hasn't done anything specifically wrong yet. You should say something to your manager if he continues to come in and make you feel uncomfortable, as everyone has the right to work and not be leered at.
    I suggest if he comes in again (having checked with your manager) maybe don't give him a discount, say you can't offer him any more money off. That will stop him coming back if it is just for money.
    Alternatively, someone else could serve him, saying you really are busy and he cannot choose who serves him and if he doesn't want to buy anything he should leave.

Like others have said, make sure you are not alone with him, and just have you wits about you when you leave work, making sure he isn't around. If he is, just go back to the shop and say you are waiting for a lift, and call a taxi/parent/friend to come and get you.

I'm sure it is harmless, but there are some strange people in this world and we all need to exercise some caution, and i think you are justified in feeling creeped out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd let it be known to management or whoever that you were unnerved by this customer's behaviour- it's not right that you should feel uncomfortable and it's their responsibility to make sure they deal with it if it's a genuine issue.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rippedbanana)
    i will continue with the devil's advocate on your statement.

of course you understand the situation perfectly because every woman thinks exactly the same way. the same way all pakis (forgive me for the expression - i am trying to make the point here) should act the same way, all blacks must have something in common that make them black.

research shows that some employees find their life partners in work place, they can be your client, they can be your co-worker. there is nothing morally wrong about this man's behaviour. some people do meet their love of their life this way. in fact if everyone in work place followed the formal regulations (that usually ban any informal contact among employees or clients), there would be no love in work place.

i think you live in a different parallel universe where men are perceived as dangerous. i want to say you are paranoid but because we live in 2 identical but separate worlds, you wouldnt understand why i think you are paranoid. you describe men like a prostitute. in the world i live there are formal rules that stop them (men or women) from crossing the line but in the world you live, its like everyone is for himself. i feel sorry for you. there is more incentive for 6th formers to study hard so that they dont become shopassistants - god helps, it must be a terrible profession.
    You have misunderstood what I said. Nowhere did I say that all men are like that. Yes, some men can be dangerous. That is what I was saying. But not all - just as some women can be dangerous but not all. However, you have to admit that this man does sound abnormal from what has been described of him.
    In addition I do not wholly understand your last paragraph as I cannot see how it relates to the issue. I am a sixth former as well as a shop assistant as I want to earn money - but trust me, it will not be a long term profession.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you will get to read this HOWEVER I just want to put this out there. What you described could quite easily be my dad and no, he is not creepy or a perv or anything such thing. As said before, he is just an indian excited about a bargain and if you are nice to him and give him offers, of course he's going to associate that with you and then try and get as many bargains as possible 'cause that's just how we indians roll :cool:. See when he leaves the shop, you're thinking 'ohmygod, creep' but he's probably thinking 'I'm a haggling legend'. Also, about the revisiting, my dad is retired so has all the time in the world to go about such business so it may not be anything as what you think. I know this guy may have not been my dad and therefore a genuine perv in which case, do what the people on here tell you but I'm sooo paranoid that this was my father since he's been buying all sorts of new shirts and stuff for my graduation so I felt I must defend him in the case that it was him because he would genuinely be interested in the prices he gets the clothes for rather than the fact that you are a young woman :p:

ps: I'm even more paranoid that this was actually my dad because you said he came across weird. My dad doesn't realise it but sometimes he comes across a bit weird or he makes jokes he thinks are really funny but they're actually not or sometimes he just acts socially weird but his intentions are good! For example, I was home tutoring someone and at the end of the tuition, my dad practically gave the guy an order to have a samosa (the guy was at the door and therefore refused) but my dad persisted for an uncomfortable 5 minutes. It was the same thing over and over like 'have a samosa'.. 'oh no, i'm fine thank you'.. 'no, have a samosa' so longest 5 minutes ever!. My dad was just being nice but after a point, it was like 'dad, please just stop!!' lol

(Original post by Preeka)
    I don't know if you will get to read this HOWEVER I just want to put this out there. What you described could quite easily be my dad and no, he is not creepy or a perv or anything such thing. As said before, he is just an indian excited about a bargain and if you are nice to him and give him offers, of course he's going to associate that with you and then try and get as many bargains as possible 'cause that's just how we indians roll :cool:. See when he leaves the shop, you're thinking 'ohmygod, creep' but he's probably thinking 'I'm a haggling legend'. Also, about the revisiting, my dad is retired so has all the time in the world to go about such business so it may not be anything as what you think. I know this guy may have not been my dad and therefore a genuine perv in which case, do what the people on here tell you but I'm sooo paranoid that this was my father since he's been buying all sorts of new shirts and stuff for my graduation so I felt I must defend him in the case that it was him because he would genuinely be interested in the prices he gets the clothes for rather than the fact that you are a young woman :p:

ps: I'm even more paranoid that this was actually my dad because you said he came across weird. My dad doesn't realise it but sometimes he comes across a bit weird or he makes jokes he thinks are really funny but they're actually not or sometimes he just acts socially weird but his intentions are good! For example, I was home tutoring someone and at the end of the tuition, my dad practically gave the guy an order to have a samosa (the guy was at the door and therefore refused) but my dad persisted for an uncomfortable 5 minutes. It was the same thing over and over like 'have a samosa'.. 'oh no, i'm fine thank you'.. 'no, have a samosa' so longest 5 minutes ever!. My dad was just being nice but after a point, it was like 'dad, please just stop!!' lol
    cheers for the reply. i did read it. the point is the guy wasnt haggling with me. He ended up haggling with my boss, but i was just the one serving him if that makes sense? because i cant give discount anyway i have to get permission off my boss.

haha my dad is completely socially awkward too! and im sure he freaks people out but its cos hes thick and 2 planks of wood!

but no, this guy did just seem weird. i cant explain it on a forum, but it was just how he was....like he didnt seem interested in what he was buying, it was like he just wanted my attention.

Sure im reading into it too much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's also the age old trick of having some stock nearby, that gives you a valid reason to walk off to 'put it away' and subsequently hide :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's strange yeah, but I doubt he'd come back in. I've had someone ring up the store and ask for me several times and ask if I was single. And had someone give me their number while I was working. I think if it's really bothering you that you should tell your manager and they can deal with it. If he does come back in again just don't get chatty, or say it's your break and stand out the back for a bit. I'm sure your manager would understand. Eventually he'll get the message! I hope it gets rectified x

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.