The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineer applicants 2013

I know it's a bit early to start a thread but since I haven't met anyone yet who wants to do chemical engineering and just want to see who else is interested and maybe have a discussion about the subject and where everyone's thinking of going to next year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AB-94
Hey :smile: Glad you started the thread, I haven't spoken to anyone else who's interested in chemical engineering either...think I'm the only one at my sixth form!

At the moment I think I'd like to go to Loughborough, but that'll probably change after all the open days...Leeds tomorrow and then Manchester on Saturday. Where are you thinking about going?

I'm applying for Chemical Engineering. I'm the only person at my College applying for the course, and I only know one other person at my College considering an engineering discipline - they're applying for Aerospace.

I'll be going to both Manchester and Leeds Open Days, as well. I've got a few other places to visit as well.
Reply 2
Hi, I am also applying for chemeng (i love saying 'chemeng' out loud, tis a good word).
Went to the Birmingham open day. They seem to be firmly set as one of the best in the country. The only gripe i do have is maybe the city itself. Didnt get to see much of it and have heard mixed reviews. Anyways, think i will pop up to Newcastle next friday.
Original post by dsid
Hi, I am also applying for chemeng (i love saying 'chemeng' out loud, tis a good word).
Went to the Birmingham open day. They seem to be firmly set as one of the best in the country. The only gripe i do have is maybe the city itself. Didnt get to see much of it and have heard mixed reviews. Anyways, think i will pop up to Newcastle next friday.

Yeah, looking at the league tables Birmingham is defiantly one of the best. I went to the Manchester open day today and the department looks very good. It seemed like a really great place and the facilities, especially then new one they are building look amazing. The only problem would be that the student satisfaction for the course is one of the lowest but the students that were there were really optimistic so im defiantly going to apply there.
Reply 4
I'm so annoyed that i live in manchester as the Uni seems perfect for chemeng. Is newcastle on anyones radar at the moment?
Same, what are the entry requirements for your uni's please and what a levels do you guys do

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
I'm the only one who wants to study ChemEng at my college too! Which unis are you considering to apply to?? Which unis have a good name for the subject?? I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry, psychology and spanish to A level.
Original post by dsid
I'm so annoyed that i live in manchester as the Uni seems perfect for chemeng. Is newcastle on anyones radar at the moment?

I've not been to see Newcastle as yet, and so until I do it is an option as it has been ranked highly in the most recent league tables and only asks for AAB and so might be an option for an insurance.

I live in Manchester as well, but I'm actually going to apply there. I'm independent anyway for the most part, and it is the option that would most keep my costs down over the duration of the degree.
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Same, what are the entry requirements for your uni's please and what a levels do you guys do

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

Mine are all AAA, except for my insurance which will be AAB. I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics & Biology. I'll be dropping Biology at A2.
Original post by Georgiina_Tee

For Manchester it's AAA, Bath AAB, Birmingham AAA-AAB, Cambridge A*AA and Imperial it's A*A*A or A*AAA. There the only one i can remember.
I take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English lit and i am thinking of keeping all 4 at A2 depending on my AS results. Obviously will drop English Lit if necessary.
What about the requirements of UCL for a chemeng major for American students?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
three students want to do chem eng in our sixthform!
ill be applying:
cambridge: A*AA
imperial: <---would love to go there! A*A*A
bathAAB
UCLAAA
loughborough as insurance probs..360 points

in order of course!
Original post by Theafricanlegend
three students want to do chem eng in our sixthform!
ill be applying:
cambridge: A*AA
imperial: <---would love to go there! A*A*A
bathAAB
UCLAAA
loughborough as insurance probs..360 points

in order of course!

Hi, I will also be applying for chem eng at pretty much those unis. What a levels are you studying for??
Original post by AeroPlane04
Hi, I will also be applying for chem eng at pretty much those unis. What a levels are you studying for??

bio chem maths physics, further maths AS (self teach)you?
bio chem maths physics, further maths AS (self teach)you?

I'm taking maths, physics, chem, psychology and spanish. Although i really wish I'd taken bio at the start of AS. Will you be sitting the exams for FM or do you just self learn it for whenever it might come in handy??
I'm taking maths, physics, chem, psychology and spanish. Although i really wish I'd taken bio at the start of AS. Will you be sitting the exams for FM or do you just self learn it for whenever it might come in handy??

doing fp1,d1 (will come in handy with computers) and s1. id teach myself m3 but i heard its insanely hard. and i wont be getting much support so ill just self teach the easy mods and did the online cambridge chemistry challenge and the written cambridge chemistry challenge.
(edited 11 years ago)
doing fp1,d1 (will come in handy with computers) and s1. id teach myself m3 but i heard its insanely hard. and i wont be getting much support so ill just self teach the easy mods and did the online cambridge chemistry challenge and the written cambridge chemistry challenge.

There is nothing stopping you from teaching yourself m3 without doing the exam. It will help you heaps with mechanics in general.
has anyone heard of/know someone that has done ChemEng before at either leeds uni or sheffield uni?? If not which one would you say is the better one for ChemEng?? They both generally appear high on rankings, but just wondering if anyone knows more of an 'inside story' to what they are really like.
has anyone heard of/know someone that has done ChemEng before at either leeds uni or sheffield uni??

I know a girl that is studying Chem Eng at Leeds.
I will be a Chemeng fresher at Imperial in October so feel free to ask any questions you might have

Quick Reply

Latest