The Student Room Group

Maths

On the cambridge website it says in year one they teach:

Newtonian dynamics and Special Relativity

I haven't seen this topic come up in other universities and was just wondering if this was specifically for cambridge?
Reply 1
Original post by TPJY

I haven't seen this topic come up in other universities and was just wondering if this was specifically for cambridge?

There is a similar (optional) module to this at Warwick. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/px148/
Reply 2
Original post by TPJY

One of the features of Cambridge is that they have less seperation between Maths and Theoretical Physics/Mathematical Physics. Plenty of other universities will have courses covering roughly the same ground but they may be split over maths and physics departments or else they will have geometry courses that cover much of the same ground in any case.
I learnt Newtonian Mechanics and Special Relativity in my first year.. although I was the only maths student to do so :biggrin: (I'm at Exeter).

I started on Mathematics and Physics, and changed to Maths after the first term. I had a course on Mechanics and Special Relativity as a physics course, but had to do newtonian mechanics again as part of a different unit the mathematicians did in the second term. The Warwick course above is also a physics course, and is (as far as the web page says) basically identical to the course I did. It was good fun!

Quick Reply

Latest