Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fashion Show Q - Need Advice!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So, I'm trying to raise some money to go on a voluntary trip. I need around £1200.

I was thinking of holding a fashion show but got a few questions.

Could I do this in somewhere small like my house?

People would have to design a costume. How much would I charge to enter? As obviously they would need material etc too. There would be a prize for the first, second and third.

Would I charge people entry to watch the fashion show? (If so, guess not in my house :')) How much?

Need advice!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your house? No.

You'll need a venue, then when you find one that is reasonably priced (its VERY rare you get gifted a free venue). Then from that you need to work out what you need to price tickets at to cover costs and get a bit of profit. If your venue is say £300, and you plan to sell 100 tickets, you'd need to sell them at at least £3 just to break even, but about £6 to make a bit of money back. You would need to make sure you sold at least that many, or have the price at a point where you could sell a little under 100 but still make enough not to eat into profit.

If you're asking people to pay to enter, its not a fashion show, its a competition. To make it worth entering you'd have to offer prizes (donated by businesses in exchange for publicity or bought by yourself) and an incentive - I personally wouldn't enter a competition unless I had something to gain from it.

Personally I dont think its the right sort of event for this sort of fundraising.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Personally I dont think its the right sort of event for this sort of fundraising.
    This event is only supposed to be small - about 15 -20 people.

I've found a centre that is £10.00 an hour for this many people. I already have some prizes which companies have kindly donated, which would be suitable, and would consider getting a £15 clothing voucher at New Look or somewhere similar.

I've had a lot of interest of about 8-10 people already, who said they would ask their friends also.

Knowing this information, what do you now think?

Was considering doing a £7.00 deal where you get entry, lunch, cake and a photograph of you or you and your friends, which would be taken by me, using a professional camera.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess9)
    This event is only supposed to be small - about 15 -20 people.

I've found a centre that is £10.00 an hour for this many people. I already have some prizes which companies have kindly donated, which would be suitable, and would consider getting a £15 clothing voucher at New Look or somewhere similar.

I've had a lot of interest of about 8-10 people already, who said they would ask their friends also.

Knowing this information, what do you now think?

Was considering doing a £7.00 deal where you get entry, lunch, cake and a photograph of you or you and your friends, which would be taken by me, using a professional camera.
    Don't think it will work sorry. Fashion shows/events NEED a high footfall to work.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.