The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2013

Very very early, I know, but I'd love to hear from you if you were thinking of becoming one of the dirt people in Sept 2013 and where you were planning on applying to.

I'm looking at University of East Anglia, Derby, Leicester, Plymouth and Portsmouth (and yes I did just list them in alphabetical order =D)

If you have any questions, lukas1051 and hothedgehog can try and answer them for you =D
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am. I'm looking at Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Southampton and Leicester (and no thats not alphabetical) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cahaydn
I am. I'm looking at Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Southampton and Leicester (and no thats not alphabetical) :smile:

I guessed XD

I looked at all of those but didn't want Oxford or one in London, and picked 2 who wanted higher UCAS, 1 middle and 2 with lower requirements, just in case I mess anything up XD
Reply 3
Hey geology people! I'm looking at St Andrews, Leicester, Durham, Southampton, Bristol, Imperial....yes I know thats 6 :tongue: went to leicester today, the course looks amazing! but I love St andrews, and I've got southampton and imperial open days next week :smile:
Reply 4
I want to visit Leicester soon... done Derby and UEA...

Derby looks like a great course and includes so much fieldwork (eg America in year 3) but the Uni isn't that great... nice enough place but there seem to be a few issues with the distance from halls to the campus and the Union doesn't seem all that good...

UEA looks amazing!! The staff are so enthusiastic and the course looks so good... Its accredited but also covers more subjects then simply geology, which I think is a good thing as it means you have experience to do so many different things with it after!! I've also heard they're looking at starting trips to Iceland in the next year or so! =D
Reply 5
Leicester geology student right here :biggrin: Any questions - fire away!
Reply 6
Original post by Jeffrey12
Leicester geology student right here :biggrin: Any questions - fire away!

What would you say the worst thing about it is? :P
Reply 7
the fact that theres so few posts on here is making me more confident, less competition maybe :tongue:
Reply 8
Hey :smile:
I'm currently looking at Imperial, Leicester, Exeter and Bristol. Not sure on a fifth :P

Seen Imperial and Bristol so far, didn't like Bristol, but loved Imperial. Definitely my firm favourite :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jtromans
Hey :smile:
I'm currently looking at Imperial, Leicester, Exeter and Bristol. Not sure on a fifth :P

Seen Imperial and Bristol so far, didn't like Bristol, but loved Imperial. Definitely my firm favourite :smile:

imo you also need to look at Durham and Leeds.
Reply 10
Oh, and Royal Holloway (University of London)
Thats pretty awesome... What didn't you like about Bristol?

I can't wait until next year!! I think i still prefer the environmental earth science to the normal geology as it covers so many different parts of science when looking at the earth sciences

Anyone else been watching Volcano Live?
Reply 12
Original post by MidnightShadow
Thats pretty awesome... What didn't you like about Bristol?

I can't wait until next year!! I think i still prefer the environmental earth science to the normal geology as it covers so many different parts of science when looking at the earth sciences

Anyone else been watching Volcano Live?

I liked the city itself and the university, but in the talk the lecturer said that they didn't really want people with both geology and geography, and would prefer people with physics etc. so the kind of put me off a bit :s-smilie: plus I'd only been to see imperial a few days before, so was a bit disappointed when it didnt live upto the same standards but I suppose I should expect that. I don't know I'm still going to apply but I just didn't get the feel for it when I went :frown:

And yes I have!

Original post by dadrock
imo you also need to look at Durham and Leeds.

I've taken a look at both Durham and royal holloway, I didn't like royal holloway too much but I'm thinking about going to one of the Durham open days in September.
I really liked the look of Leeds but the AAA grades put me off a bit, I didn't want two really high entry requirements as I'm putting imperial as a bit of an aspirational target tbh :s-smilie:
Unless I do really well in my AS, then I'll probably put it down because I did really like it :biggrin:
Reply 13
Well, this is exceptionally early but I think Durham, Exeter, Cardiff, UEA and Brighton. I'd apply to Durham provided I get the grades. As I did nothing at all for the summer exams.:biggrin:
Original post by AmmeS
Well, this is exceptionally early but I think Durham, Exeter, Cardiff, UEA and Brighton. I'd apply to Durham provided I get the grades. As I did nothing at all for the summer exams.:biggrin:

Yay for UEA =D Have you been to visit it yet? A lot of people get put off as it's a 60's uni but its very green in between the buildings and the view to the lake is beautiful...

The lectures look amazing, the staff are fantastic and the social side of it rocks =D I also like the whole having the accomodation on campus...
Reply 15
Well no not exactly, I am a bit skeptical about visiting places and then being disappointed that I can't apply to them :| I don't mind the 60's look. I have a friend that goes there and he seems to like it.

I visited Leicester Uni but its too close to home, literally 10 mins away, however it was pretty good. Have you visited UEA?
Original post by AmmeS
Well no not exactly, I am a bit skeptical about visiting places and then being disappointed that I can't apply to them :| I don't mind the 60's look. I have a friend that goes there and he seems to like it.

I visited Leicester Uni but its too close to home, literally 10 mins away, however it was pretty good. Have you visited UEA?

Yeah, I live about an hour away so it's pretty easy to visit for me... going to Leciester on the 6th October by the sound of things and getting a trip to Alton Towers in while I'm at it XD
Reply 17
Think you'll like it, I would apply there if it wasn't so close to home
Well at least it makes getting your washing done much easier XD
Reply 19
That is definitely going make reconsider, ha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending