Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Physics at Glasgow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mark_Firefly
I'm great, how are you?

It's weird, at school they put so much emphasis on the personal statement, about how it was essential in securing your place...I don't think they even read mine haha.
I haven't really thought about it much, last year I was really nervous but now because of my offers I'm not worried. I reckon I got an A for adv maths and adv physics, and a B for adv chemistry. Oh and an A for higher biology. What about you?

I'm great man, having an amazing holiday so far!

Yeah, I don't think they read mine either lol I didn't say a single thing about physics but I think when they look at grades and see that your high achieving I don't think they really care about it to be honest. I'm not to worried either I reckon I got an A for adv physics and adv Graphics, probably a band 1 because they were both pretty easy, and a B for adv maths, I really messed up the last page of the exam :frown: but it's basically first year so we'll have another of the same stuff so it's a pretty good advantage no matter what we get. Also an A for co-operative studies but that's not a full subject yet so I don't if that counts lol. Are you looking forward to starting?

Btw have you had an email about getting an interview before you start to pick your subjects?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 61
so how did we all do then?

Reply 62
Hey guys, I'm gonna be starting Theoretical Physics this year. Don't know anyone else since i'm not just leaving school :smile: I did that a while ago (I'm 27). I just finished an access course at stow college with merits across the board in all modules. Looking forward to meeting new people. Also is anyone going to freshers week, would be good to know some folk to go out with.
Reply 63
Original post by IamStu
Hey guys, I'm gonna be starting Theoretical Physics this year. Don't know anyone else since i'm not just leaving school :smile: I did that a while ago (I'm 27). I just finished an access course at stow college with merits across the board in all modules. Looking forward to meeting new people. Also is anyone going to freshers week, would be good to know some folk to go out with.

That's what I'm doing but I'll be quite a bit younger lol ( I'm only 17 when starting :frown: ) what are you picking as your third module

Reply 64
Probably astronomy as it fits in quite well, large volumes of trig :smile:

Reply 65
Everyone get enrolled ok? I had to take Maths 1R+S since my access course wasn't really recognised as an advanced higher A so it wouldn't let me to 1X+Y even though i've already done most of the work from those lol. Ah well, easy grade points from 1R+S :smile: Signed up for astronomy too, so gonna be Physics at 9 Astronomy at 10 and Maths at 11 every day, nice 12 o'clock finishes on non lab days.
Reply 66
Original post by IamStu
Everyone get enrolled ok? I had to take Maths 1R+S since my access course wasn't really recognised as an advanced higher A so it wouldn't let me to 1X+Y even though i've already done most of the work from those lol. Ah well, easy grade points from 1R+S :smile: Signed up for astronomy too, so gonna be Physics at 9 Astronomy at 10 and Maths at 11 every day, nice 12 o'clock finishes on non lab days.

If your going into first year you have to do R+S, I got a B at AH so I too know most of the stuff too lol I'm gonna be Astronomy at 10, Maths at 11, Physics at 1 and the lab at 2 on lab days :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
What lab days did you pick for astro and physics? I chose monday for astro, tuesday for physics (both at 2pm) and I think i chose thursday afternoon for maths tutorials.
Reply 68
Looks like there's quite a few people studying Physics.

I'm probably going to go for Theoretical Physics, but I may find I prefer something else. Probably not though (experiments always seem to fail for me :P).

How have you chosen your timetable already? Do you get sent an email or something? I don't seem to have got one yet...
Reply 69
You should get an email with details for logging into the MyCampus webpage, where you register and enroll for your subjects. I got mine monday, but some others got them today, so probably still some to go out. It's Theoretical that me and ninja_pigeon are both doing too.
Reply 70
Original post by IamStu
What lab days did you pick for astro and physics? I chose monday for astro, tuesday for physics (both at 2pm) and I think i chose thursday afternoon for maths tutorials.

I don't think I've chosen my tutorials :s I'll need to check that

Reply 71
Each subject I chose put me automatically to a 2nd page where i chose the lab time, for maths it was tutorial
Reply 72
Original post by Alta
Looks like there's quite a few people studying Physics.

I'm probably going to go for Theoretical Physics, but I may find I prefer something else. Probably not though (experiments always seem to fail for me :P).

How have you chosen your timetable already? Do you get sent an email or something? I don't seem to have got one yet...

Yeah I chose all mine today :smile: you'll get an email with login details for MyCampus, which you register on then pick your choices, and one from the head of physics and astronomy telling you about choosing courses but you don't decide what your final degree is till the end of 2nd year which is good as it let's you try things out :smile: I'm doing maths and physics (mandatory) and astronomy as my third (that way you can basically choose any physics course at the end of second year!! )

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Got the email today, so working through it.

I only got a B at AH so I had to take R+S for Maths.
Was thinking about taking Computing Science as the third module, but it says you need a B in Higher Computing or equivalent. My school didn't teach Higher Computing, but I got an A in AH Graph Comm. Do you think that would count as an equivalent? :confused:
Reply 74
No idea try emailing your appointed adviser, if you don't hear anything, try Dr Peter Sneddon, he's the senior adviser for physics and got back to me the same day I mailed him when my own adviser didn't respond.

Reply 75
im doing physics and astronomy :smile: sooo excited about the astronomy lectures, i really hope its the right choice for me! where are you guys staying? i chose murano student village (large flats) and cant wait to move in :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Yeah I suppose it could have been summarised a bit but I don't think its too bad the way it is. Well there is a confirmed fifth book so it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally Eldest is still my favourite though. Ah I know where Erskine is, I've got relatives that live there. Yeah, that's not too bad for commuting but its still a fair distance lol. Luckily I'm only about 40 mins on buses away so I can hang about after lectures and meet people then.
Im the same about results tbh I would like to get AAA but it doesn't really bother me if I don't, I'm way more excited for bloodstock which is the next day (if you know what that is). I was really surprised too when I got my text, I was in Sweden at the time and didn't even realise I had signed up for it lol so it was a welcome surprise when I got my results.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply :P
I'm definitely looking forward to the 5th Inheritance book but I don't think it'll be from Eragon's point of view and I'm not sure how long after Inheritance it's gonna be set. I'm sure I'll enjoy it whatever it's gonna be about haha.
Did you enjoy bloodstock?

Reply 77
Original post by Mark_Firefly
Yeah I definitely haven't met my predicted grades, I think I did for maths and physics, but definitely not for chemistry. God yes there were many days I never even turned up to school, I literally felt as if I had no motivation. I convinced myself that adv maths and physics would be really helpful for first year though, so I did try for them. But when it came to adv chemistry and higher biology I was terrible, I missed the classes alot and really slacked with the homework. It will show in my chemistry result, but luckily biology was pretty...managebale haha. And yeah about the personal statement, it's obviously good what you've done, I struggled to fill mine with extra curricular stuff. Its strangely disappointing how little interest they seemed to show in my personal statement, after all the effort I put in. It was all about medicine and they gave me an unconditional haha. Still, I suppose its better that way than to get knocked back for lack of interest, when in reality I love physics. Yeah I can't wait to start, I didn't enjoy my 6th year that much, and I'm going to student accommodation as well so I can't wait to move out. How about you?

Even for stuff I was interested in learning about like physics I just couldn't be bothered. I did turn up but I might as well have stayed at home - by the third unit I was playing angry birds and temple run under the desk :L had to teach myself what I missed though so that wasn't too smart!
I did enjoy 6th year especially since it was a complete skive and I spent most of my free time playing cards, hide and seek and generally messing around lol
I'm staying at home so I don't need to worry about moving and I'm definitely looking forward to starting but I'm getting a wee tiny bit nervous every now and then haha.
Did you get the results you were hoping for?

Reply 78
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
so how did we all do then?

Got an A in ah physics which I am incredibly pleased with! :biggrin:
B in ah chemistry which is what I was expecting cos I'm extremely bad at the multiple choice for some reason lol
C in ah maths which I'm a wee bit disappointed in but not too bothered about since most people in my class got a c or worse too

How did you do?

Reply 79
Being 27 I've not been living at home for about 8-9 years anyway, so i'll just be staying in my flat in Anniesland where i've been for the past year anyway. I remember when I did 6th year, I just skived and ended up not finishing since I got an unconditional for glasgow from my higher results (only needed ABC in sciences when I applied back then).

Looks like most of us will be in the same maths and astronomy classes which is cool, we'll need to organise a wee get together at some point once we get started. Am I the only one who willingly chose 9am for physics though? ><

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending