Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my career path achievable?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my first level (Level 2) at AAT and I'm looking to complete all 4 levels and then do a course at Uni to get up to PHD level.

How many years would this take? Is it achievable with my current course?

Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it isn't, in order for you to a do a PHD (in what I assume is) Accountancy you need an undergraduate degree and would need to complete a masters degree as well. Why do you want to do a PHD instead of becoming a Chartered accountant?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterG92)
    I'm currently doing my first level (Level 2) at AAT and I'm looking to complete all 4 levels and then do a course at Uni to get up to PHD level.

How many years would this take? Is it achievable with my current course?

Thanks.
    You need a masters degree before moving on to PhD. Since you are doing your AAT's, i recommend you complete your ACCA's or CIMA as well. This will give you much more credibility and will prepare you for a senior level post in firms.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you just keep studying AAT and look to get a job before you finish it, sooner the better. Preferably with a company that can train you to a higher qualification.

experience > everything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my friend had a similar issue, they managed to get a job with RSM Tenon in Swindon and get training on the job. I think thats your best route.

There is a new site about to launch called careers4students.co.uk and I know there are a few accounting firms signed up to it and advertising already. Might be worth signing up and checking it out when it's live.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thattimmyguy)
    my friend had a similar issue, they managed to get a job with RSM Tenon in Swindon and get training on the job. I think thats your best route.

There is a new site about to launch called careers4students.co.uk and I know there are a few accounting firms signed up to it and advertising already. Might be worth signing up and checking it out when it's live.
    Swindon is never the best route. Never.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.