Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Living in Peckham, yay or nay?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So me and a few friends have been looking for a house for next year and have found a couple in SE15, in the Peckham area. From the pictures online they seem like pretty nice houses and have all been recently refurbished, my only worry is the area they're situated in though, as I have heard nothing but bad things about Peckham with it's allegedly high crime rates etc. We went to visit the general area and I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a lot worse, but I'd just like to hear opinions from people who have lived there/know people who live there. We only had a brief look around so perhaps we missed some of the rougher areas? Or maybe it's worse at night? Or am I just worrying for no reason?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever goes in Peckham comes out in a box.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not, it's nowhere near as bad as some people stereotype it to be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which area in Peckham is it? eg road/street etc.
    It's not as bad as people make out
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisy06)
    Whatever goes in Peckham comes out in a box.
    Then don't come out, simples.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackshie)
    Which area in Peckham is it? eg road/street etc.
    It's not as bad as people make out
    Elcot Avenue, Fenham Road and Lanvanor Road. According to Google maps they're all reasonably close together, if you know anything about any of them areas?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    Why not, it's nowhere near as bad as some people stereotype it to be.
    OK thanks for your reply. Do you know whereabouts most of the areas to avoid are by any chance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah it really isnt as bad as its made out to be. but i guess you would have to live there to understand...i think its come along way and now you get plenty of different people from many backgrounds living there.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yay or nay?

I think you forgot gay
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friends make jokes about how bad/ghetto/rough it is.. lol don't want to find out for myself tbh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever anybody says, living in London is relatively simple, keep your head down and mind your own business and basic common sense (don't travel by yourself late at night) and you'll be fine where ever you live. So I'd say Yay.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Setrith)
    OK thanks for your reply. Do you know whereabouts most of the areas to avoid are by any chance?
    There aren't any like areas that you cannot walk through or anything like that, and tbh, if you just go about your own business, people will leave you alone - just like in any other place in London.

If you're really interested in analysing which parts are safer/more dangerous, here:

http://maps.met.police.uk/access.php...BEGQ&sort=rate
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    despite what you see on the news and in films likekidulthood it isnt that bad my friends brother has lived there for a few years now and nothing bads happened to him, a couple of gun shot wounds but nothing major ya know ..
    but in all seriousness its fine, just stay away from the estates
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nay nay nay nay nay nay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Setrith)
    Elcot Avenue, Fenham Road and Lanvanor Road. According to Google maps they're all reasonably close together, if you know anything about any of them areas?
    Errm, well I'm from Peckham, and my friend and cousin used to live around first two areas. It's fine in the day but I personally wouldn't want to be out by myself too late at night around there. I'd probably feel different if I lived around there however, since it may change my perception. I'm aware that some people may not feel safe in my area of Peckham, but to me it's alright. But it feels a little more comfortable now that they have knocked down the huge estate that was near there.(Elcot Avenue and Fenham Road)

Lanvanor Road however, I would feel a lot more comfortable around there, day or night. It's in Nunhead as well, which I think is a nice little area.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jLou711)
    My friends make jokes about how bad/ghetto/rough it is.. lol don't want to find out for myself tbh
    Exactly this.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 21, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

University of London Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered London Unis Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.