Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

M102 - Motion on Trade Unions

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    So your entire argument then is "children shouldn't join because they are not workers" even though lots of union members aren't workers? Which nitwit wrote this motion?!
    i didnt write it, but they're clearly brainwashing these children. The union does not represent their interest in any way, adults who are not currently workers could be very shortly but at 13 these children are in no way involved as of yet with what the Union is representing. To quote David Cameron in his description of Jimmy Carr "it is morally wrong"
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm that we will be removing the last sentence from the motion and only the first two sentences will be part of the motion when it goes to vote.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    i didnt write it, but they're clearly brainwashing these children. The union does not represent their interest in any way, adults who are not currently workers could be very shortly but at 13 these children are in no way involved as of yet with what the Union is representing. To quote David Cameron in his description of Jimmy Carr "it is morally wrong"
    It's like you're joking, but you're not, and that's scary.

If a young person freely chooses to join a political group (be it a pressure group or party) they should be able to, as I was when I did it. I don't care what group they join and neither should you, as I say, I'm not complaining about young people joining the Young Britons' Foundation. "WAH unions are brainwashing young people, why else would they be joining them!!1!" This is based completely on your ignorance and hatred of what unions stand for.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    It's like you're joking, but you're not, and that's scary.

If a young person freely chooses to join a political group (be it a pressure group or party) they should be able to, as I was when I did it. I don't care what group they join and neither should you, as I say, I'm not complaining about young people joining the Young Britons' Foundation. "WAH unions are brainwashing young people, why else would they be joining them!!1!" This is based completely on your ignorance and hatred of what unions stand for.
    Freely, the key word there. One or two children will join a pressure group freely or have any interest in the matter at 13, many of these children are likely to have been pressured into it by parents, or joined up on their behalf. I dont hate what unions stand for, when they were first introduced they were a needed thing. They no longer serve to protect the interest of the worker, but damage the interests of the country and therefore in the long term damage the worker.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Unions are just ugh
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be stupid, banning trade unions is ridiculous. Stopping children from joining maybe Aye, but other than that restrictions need to be imposed on their power rather than banning them completely
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you had applied the same rule to political parties on banning children from joining in the 1970s and 1980s, we'd have missed William Hague's speech to the Tory conference as a 16 year old (was it?) and a good laugh every time it has been repeated.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    If you had applied the same rule to political parties on banning children from joining in the 1970s and 1980s, we'd have missed William Hague's speech to the Tory conference as a 16 year old (was it?) and a good laugh every time it has been repeated.
    Ooh, I hadn't heard that, just watched it. Hilarious
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.
Updated: July 5, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.