The Student Room Group

newbie needs psychology advice

Hi everyone...im a family man working in full time employment (shift work) and am looking for some advice on what level to start social psychology, im looking to do a home (internet course) would a social science course be a good place to start. Thank you
Reply 1
Social sciences in general should be good enough.

Psychology, sociology, a general social sciences course.

You're question's a bit vague though. Do you mean you're looking to become a social psychologist?
Reply 2
I'm interested in the mind,people, and how we think,react.I not really thought to much about an end profession. I started out looking for relative courses on social psychology and they all looked to advanced for me to start with,so i back tracked through the list of courses and one webpage suggested i start with social science as a starting point. I not been a pupil for many years and carnt remember the last time i wrote an essay,sorry for being vague.
If your interested in individuals and how they think you don't necessarily need to do a social sciences course. The social sciences focus on more collective and cultural aspects of behaviour...
Reply 4
So you think i should start with a basic introductory to psychology course?.
Original post by rhymorical
So you think i should start with a basic introductory to psychology course?.

Yes or introduction to social psychology course if its geared for people new to psychology should also be fine.
Reply 6
Ok Ty for your help i will know look for a course in social psychology :yy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 7
Hey

Iv just finished studying for a psychology A level and also work full-time, married and im likely to get an A I think (its not certain but likely as I sat my last paper on 19th and only needed a low C to average an A).

What course are you thinking of doing exactly? an A level? Or another one? (which?)

I found the A level quite possible to do if your committed to it.

I personally wouldnt recommend online learning through a company as I have tried it in the past and they charged me £250 in the past and it was only after I found out I need to find my own examining centres for the actual exams and pay them...which turned out to be bloody impossible because none of the colleges allow private students!!!

So it ended up being a waste and left a bad taste about such "online providers" - I used ICSlearning or something - they were terrible.

I studied this A level by simply ordering the books from amazon that are designed for the spec for AQA A spec - they have the spec on their website which tells you everything you need to know and if you download the past papers - you can pretty much guess what may come up - its what I did throughout my 4 papers I sat and I was generally right.

I was lucky a private centre had just set up about a year and a half ago and I found them while googling he net in my local area about 15 minutes away.

It took me from last february to now to sit all 4 papers (so about a year)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending