The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why don't they just put adverts on the BBC and scrap TV licences?

I honestly wouldn't care if there were ad breaks in BBC shows. I hardly watch anything on the BBC as it is, and I quite like the ad breaks on other channels. I can go to the toilet or get a drink or whatever in the break so I don't miss anything; when watching a BBC show that I'm interested in, I don't want to go to the bathroom or kitchen and miss anything.

Surely if the BBC introduced adverts they'd make more money, due to virtually every company competing for BBC airtime? The BBC assume that we all welcome the 'luxury' of an uninterrupted program, which I for one do not.

I don't see why I should have to pay for The One Show, Bargain Hunt and Match of the Day (which seem to make up the majority of the broadcasts on the BBC) when I don't watch them and never plan to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
Since the BBC doesn't work with any advertisers, it makes them more impartial.

Consider they were running adverts for Ford. Ford could turn around and say, "We're paying you this money, give us a good review on Top Gear or we'll leave".
Reply 3
Original post by 123450
Since the BBC doesn't work with any advertisers, it makes them more impartial.

Consider they were running adverts for Ford. Ford could turn around and say, "We're paying you this money, give us a good review on Top Gear or we'll leave".

Then why don't they just only accept adverts not related to their shows like cleaning products, computers, electrics etc?
Reply 4
THe whole point of the BBC is that since they don't need advertising they can show a wide range of programming to suit eveyones needs not just the stuff that would be commercially successful. If the BBC was to become like itv, then the programming would be changed to suit he masses even more than it is at the moment.
Original post by Flyteryder
Then why don't they just only accept adverts not related to their shows like cleaning products, computers, electrics etc?

What happens if Panorama wants to investigate wrong doing by computer companies?
Reply 6
Original post by jakemittle
What happens if Panorama wants to investigate wrong doing by computer companies?

What happens if ITV News wants to run a story about dodgy loan companies or wrong doings by computer companies? They still run these adverts and they run these stories.
Reply 7
I don't think there's as much money in tv advertising as there used to be... The bbc used to be the cheap network with wobbly sets and no budget and itv was glossy and professional, now the commercial networks are looking cheap and repeat ridden, and full of reality show trash. Dunno where the quality stuff would come from if they were having to split advertising revenue between another 4 stations.
Original post by 123450
Since the BBC doesn't work with any advertisers works for the government, it makes them more impartial.

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by kayjay
THe whole point of the BBC is that since they don't need advertising they can show a wide range of programming to suit eveyones needs not just the stuff that would be commercially successful. If the BBC was to become like itv, then the programming would be changed to suit he masses even more than it is at the moment.

The BBC does not have a wide range of programming. The vast majority of their shows are for the masses, even more so than ITV. There are 3 groups of shows which dominate the BBC:

1. Match of the Day, Football Focus, whatever football highlights.

2. Bargain Hunt, Antiques Road Show, Homes Under The Hammer.

3. The One Show, Points of View.

That is not a wide range of programming; football, antiques shows and rubbish chat shows. I don't see why I should have to pay for that when I never watch them.
(edited 11 years ago)
to be fair i like having films with no adverts, because sometimes on other channels ill just be really getting into a film and then it will stop for an ad break :frown:
Reply 11
Bump.
The BBC does not have a wide range of programming. The vast majority of their shows are for the masses, even more so than ITV. There are 3 groups of shows which dominate the BBC:

That is not a wide range of programming; football, antiques shows and rubbish chat shows. I don't see why I should have to pay for that when I never watch them.

Your portrayal of the BBC's programming is highly misleading. You say you never watch the BBC so how are you qualified to comment on it's programming?

They also do large amounts of high quality drama, documentaries, children's TV, broadcasting national events like the jubilee concert or election broadcasts and also news. And it's not just TV the license fee pays for but radio as well, so Radio 3 which is classical music, Radio 4 which often plays drama, news (like the Today programme), comedy and lots else and then things like 6 music, Radio 1 etc.

Maybe you need to go away and actually spend some time watching and listening to the BBC before you dismiss all their programming as "Homes under the Hammer".

By the sound of it you've only ever turned on your TV in the middle of the day. Daytime TV is ever going to show the best of what channels have to offer.
Reply 13

Don't forget the dramas such as Sherlock, Garrow's Law, Doctor Who and so on...
Then there's the comedies like White Van Man or Dad's Army.
The BBC gets most of the imported shows like Borgen or Episodes.
And of course nothing can beat Top Gear.

All these are many times better than anything you'd get on ITV, and a big reason for that is that they don't need to be written around ad breaks. By all means it shouldn't be compulsory if you never watch the BBC, but for those of us who do having a license fee instead of adverts is a very good deal indeed.
Reply 14

It is true that the diversity of programming is decreasing but there are still lots of documentaries etc on the BBC and advertising would justfurthee decrease any diversity. Furthermore, the BBC also provides an impartial news service that is revered all over the world with excellent news coverage online. This would be very difficult without the licence fee. And don't forget the huge range of radio that has something for everyone. Compare BBC radio to commercial radio and the commercial radios are generally inferior.
Reply 15
What happens if ITV News wants to run a story about dodgy loan companies or wrong doings by computer companies? They still run these adverts and they run these stories.

Sure, but you can bet those advertisers wouldn't be happy about it.

You're just talking about BBC1 - Remember they also run BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC World Service, CBBC/CBeebies, Radio 1, 1Xtra, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, 5 Live, 6 Music, 4 Extra, Asian Network, and local radio stations around the country.

By law as a FTA broadcaster they must cover certain types of programming in set amounts so that there is diversity. The same applies for other FTA channels such as a ITV and Channel 4.

Has ITV ever ran something against one of its sponsors?
Reply 17
So that they can fund all their big £££ programming and radio?
Reply 18
I wouldn't mind more adverts but as long as they didn't interrupt certain special broadcasts such as the Olympics, Match of the Day, The Diamond Jubilee etc...
Original post by Spaz Man
I wouldn't mind more adverts but as long as they didn't interrupt certain special broadcasts such as the Olympics, Match of the Day, The Diamond Jubilee etc...

Which it would as those are the events which would make the most money. I hate adverts.

Latest

Trending

Trending