The Student Room Group

Your undergraduate degree is nothing more than a piece of paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I say leave them to it - the people who aren't cut out for academia will either do badly at degree level or drop out early. It's not ideal but it happens all the time, for whatever reasons. Degrees require all sorts of skills, if you're bad at essays that doesn't automatically bar you from going, you just need to identify your strengths and weaknesses and weigh up whether it's really worth it.

I think colleges are partly to blame for this, they push people into university as though that's the only option that is worthwhile (at least that was how it was at my college) and people just apply for the sake of it without putting a lot of thought into it. If colleges are going to continue pushing people into uni they should encourage people to do their research first.

Agree with this my 6th form did this if I had known I had more options like taking a gap year or do a foundation course I would have done that instead, but I wasn't given enough information about the different directions I could take.
Would have saved me a wasted year of tuition fees since I didn't feel 100% ready to go to uni since I had personal problems going on at that time.
All the tutors were doing was shoving ucas down my throat.

Original post by geetar
Not true. My degree certificate is actually printed on some nice sepia coloured card, so there.

lol
[QUOTE=Indieboohoo;38258954]Agree with this my 6th form did this if I had known I had more options like taking a gap year or do a foundation course I would have done that instead, but I wasn't given enough information about the different directions I could take.
Would have saved me a wasted year of tuition fees since I didn't feel 100% ready to go to uni since I had personal problems going on at that time.
All the tutors were doing was shoving ucas down my throat.

I know the feeling. To the dismay of my head of sixth form, I just moved down the other end of the country and worked on 'growing up'- getting a job, paying own bills etc. I'm going to university in september, two years after my a-levels and I'm glad because I feel sure about what I want to spend four years studying and racking up a huge debt for.
Original post by Trainee_Ninja
I know the feeling. To the dismay of my head of sixth form, I just moved down the other end of the country and worked on 'growing up'- getting a job, paying own bills etc. I'm going to university in september, two years after my a-levels and I'm glad because I feel sure about what I want to spend four years studying and racking up a huge debt for.

Glad it worked out for you :redface:
Original post by Muscovite
Simple way to resolve it. Shut down all the pretend third rate universities like Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent etc; leaving just the Russell groups; we'd have more govt. money to make up for the loss of fees that would improve research plus undergrad degrees would be worth a hell of a lot more. Simple :smile:

You do realise that there are many brilliant universities that are not in the Russell group?
Original post by fortransexual

Universities should have only academic courses with pure subjects like History, Physics, Maths

So what about your example of computer science.
A course that is often both academic and vocational?
Reply 125
Read that article, then read every other one :ahee:

Hilarious, unserious stuff.
Reply 126
Original post by WelshBluebird

It can't be both, can it? Either you're a smartie eloi (academic) or a thickie morlock (vocational).
Original post by WelshBluebird

I'd count computer science as academic, as like with engineering there is a significant theoretical part underneath the actual 'doing' involved

it has clear polytechnic derivatives - things such as web design, computer game programming that focus on doing rather than understanding the layers of a modern computer and the concepts of it's operation.

law is in the same way vocational-academic, yes it is vocational ultimately, but the degree program is in no way training to be a lawyer, that is what training contracts are for - the degree is academic
I have a question...

What if someone got 3 D's at A level, managed to get into a uni and got a first?

Does he get some credit/recognition in his field despite his A levels?

Fact of the matter is; Degree > A levels
Reply 129
Just got my results and got a 2:1. The fact that I have a degree gives me something and a 2:1 opens doors that a 2:2/no degree wouldn't so I'm happy with that. But trying the equate 3 years at university to a numerical statistic and probability of getting a job is wrong. I had great fun, didn't have to work very hard, and now have a good degree from a top university (granted its in an arts subject). MY degree was worth more than a piece of paper just for the experience I had and the people I met.
I'd count computer science as academic, as like with engineering there is a significant theoretical part underneath the actual 'doing' involved

Engineering is a vocational degree as it trains you for a specific profession, there are no two ways about it. It certainly isn't a "pure" subject like maths.
Original post by Smack
Engineering is a vocational degree as it trains you for a specific profession, there are no two ways about it. It certainly isn't a "pure" subject like maths.

True it's not pure (I was being relatively nice to engineers there for a physicist),
but there is still a long way between engineering that is a mix of underlying concepts over a broad syllabus combined with actual vocational application and the type which is purely application.
True it's not pure (I was being relatively nice to engineers there for a physicist),
but there is still a long way between engineering that is a mix of underlying concepts over a broad syllabus combined with actual vocational application and the type which is purely application.

I don't think you understand what a vocational degree is.

There's your homework then.
Original post by Smack
I don't think you understand what a vocational degree is.

There's your homework then.

I don't think you understand the difference between completely and partially

p.s if you want my personal opinion engineering should be taught in a polytechnic anyway - but there are plenty of engineers that argue it's academic merit and you can't completely ignore them
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think you understand the difference between completely and partially

I'm giving you a grade F for this.

p.s if you want my personal opinion engineering should be taught in a polytechnic anyway - but there are plenty of engineers that argue it's academic merit and you can't completely ignore them

Many engineers that I've worked with say that it should actually be an apprenticeship. "Engineering" isn't really taught at university anyway since there's a large difference between real world engineering and university engineering.
Original post by Smack
I'm giving you a grade F for this.

Many engineers that I've worked with say that it should actually be an apprenticeship. "Engineering" isn't really taught at university anyway since there's a large difference between real world engineering and university engineering.

oh really... what is taught instead then? (remember it better be strictly vocational otherwise you're contradicting yourself) (and you have already stated that it's not)
oh really... what is taught instead then? (remember it better be strictly vocational otherwise you're contradicting yourself) (and you have already stated that it's not)

Mainly rote learning maths and physics.

But that does not preclude it being a vocational degree. Not that you'd know this because you have proven that you do not know what a vocational degree is.
Original post by Smack
Mainly rote learning maths and physics.

But that does not preclude it being a vocational degree. Not that you'd know this because you have proven that you do not know what a vocational degree is.

So would that be equally as vocational as somebody doing something that actually trained them to be capable in starting the career?
So would that be equally as vocational as somebody doing something that actually trained them to be capable in starting the career?

You can no longer get an engineering job without an engineering degree these days, even if you never use anything you were taught, which is extremely common, so you can't make that comparison.

An engineering degree is now a necessary first step in the road to becoming a professional engineer, and that is why it's a vocational degree. Engineering apprenticeships are long gone; only technician, machinist, fitter etc. apprenticeships remain.
Original post by Smack
You can no longer get an engineering job without an engineering degree these days, even if you never use anything you were taught, which is extremely common, so you can't make that comparison.

An engineering degree is now a necessary first step in the road to becoming a professional engineer, and that is why it's a vocational degree. Engineering apprenticeships are long gone; only technician, machinist, fitter etc. apprenticeships remain.

I never said it wasn't vocational - I just said there was a bit more to it than that (albeit small). If you took a course from a polytechnic in one of these subjects that is virtually training you for a job you would understand what I was saying. To me it just seems like you're deliberately trying not to understand what I was getting across and are trying to win something over by nit picking.

also... http://www.npowerjobs.com/apprenticeships

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending