The Student Room Group

OCR vs AQA biology?

I'm going to college next year and will be studying a-level biology, and I thought it would be best to get my revision guides early. Basically, the college didn't tell me what exam board they do, and I basically narrowed it down to AQA and OCR. I'm doing chemistry as well and they told me that they use the OCR exam board and I figured they'd do the same for biology. But, I'm not sure. They gave me a sheet with the course content and it fits the OCR book I got, like unit to unit.

I'm just wondering what the difference between OCR and AQA biology is. Are the units in different orders? Or are the units completely mixed up? If the units are in different orders or mixed up, then it will be OCR haha. Thanks in advance. :-)
Reply 1
Original post by Deziah
I'm going to college next year and will be studying a-level biology, and I thought it would be best to get my revision guides early. Basically, the college didn't tell me what exam board they do, and I basically narrowed it down to AQA and OCR. I'm doing chemistry as well and they told me that they use the OCR exam board and I figured they'd do the same for biology. But, I'm not sure. They gave me a sheet with the course content and it fits the OCR book I got, like unit to unit.

I'm just wondering what the difference between OCR and AQA biology is. Are the units in different orders? Or are the units completely mixed up? If the units are in different orders or mixed up, then it will be OCR haha. Thanks in advance. :-)

Here are each of the specifications, you can see on this how different the layouts are, etc.

OCR Biology Specification

AQA Biology Specification

I am doing AQA Bio starting in September and I've heard they really like to mess around with the exam questions. Putting questions in that aren't necessarily on the spec :| A lot of people complained to the point that they had to release a statement, (for Chemistry I think it was) But who knows, maybe they've learnt from their mistakes from this years exam papers and will make them better for when we have to sit them!
Reply 2
Original post by lsaul95
Here are each of the specifications, you can see on this how different the layouts are, etc.

OCR Biology Specification

AQA Biology Specification

I am doing AQA Bio starting in September and I've heard they really like to mess around with the exam questions. Putting questions in that aren't necessarily on the spec :| A lot of people complained to the point that they had to release a statement, (for Chemistry I think it was) But who knows, maybe they've learnt from their mistakes from this years exam papers and will make them better for when we have to sit them!

Ah thankyou, looks like the units are in different orders. I think I've got the right one. ;D
What other subjects you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by Deziah
Ah thankyou, looks like the units are in different orders. I think I've got the right one. ;D
What other subjects you doing?

haha you're sorted then :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Philosophy :smile: what about you?
Reply 4
Original post by lsaul95
haha you're sorted then :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Philosophy :smile: what about you?

French, biology, chemistry and maths. :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Deziah
French, biology, chemistry and maths. :-)

ahh, very nice :biggrin: I have heard chemistry is an absolute nightmare.

Good luck with your studies! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lsaul95
ahh, very nice :biggrin: I have heard chemistry is an absolute nightmare.

Good luck with your studies! :smile:

I'm so worried about it, haha.
Thanks, same to you. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest