The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desijut
Also, can anyone post a solution for Q1 and Q13

Q13

I haven't been keeping a close track on it, but are there any pure questions that don't have solutions yet?
Original post by CEFisher
Did you know that they were (a+b)/2 +/- root 2 just from looking at the graph?

Hmmm... no I didn't get that. So yeah, probably lose 4-5 marks for the incorrect stationary points for part (ii).
Reply 103
I get the impression if your offer was a 1,1 and you got a S,2 or 2, S, you're quite probably going to get in anyway. One of those things where there are always exceptions though
Reply 104
Original post by Peter8837
Hmmm... no I didn't get that. So yeah, probably lose 4-5 marks for the incorrect stationary points for part (ii).

Yeah neither did I. But you really think you'll only lose 4-5 marks for that? I'd be so happy if that was the case. I also made a really stupid error so I didn't end up with a cubic, don't know how many marks I'll lose for it though...
Original post by tanboon
I get the impression if your offer was a 1,1 and you got a S,2 or 2, S, you're quite probably going to get in anyway. One of those things where there are always exceptions though

That is what siklos said at the Easter school if I remember correctly. He also said you'll probably get in with a 1,2 too but getting in with 2,2 is extremely rare, even if your offer is 1,2.
Reply 106
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Q13

Cheers, also for E(Y) i didnt do it by substitution, but went straight to the answer, would i be penalised?
Original post by desijut
Cheers, also for E(Y) i didnt do it by substitution, but went straight to the answer, would i be penalised?

Nope.
Reply 108
Original post by Blutooth
I'm gonna see if there are any other qs that catch my eye first though :smile:

edit: q 12 and q 2 both look good.
edit2: q 2 was actually a gift, i'll do the rest straight on tex.

Ive posted one for Q2 (didnt put all my working for (ii) though) It should be good to see what you got
Reply 109
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Nope.

Thanks made my day :biggrin: 20/20 (a gift as long as you got your head around the first part)
Original post by hassi94
That is what siklos said at the Easter school if I remember correctly. He also said you'll probably get in with a 1,2 too but getting in with 2,2 is extremely rare, even if your offer is 1,2.

Yeah, he did say that didn't he! I wonder how many people actually really get in with 1, 2. According to him, "most" people do :confused:.
Overall I thought it was very tough (didn't expect anything else). Managed 1 complete solution, 2 half solutions, and 3 crappy ones. Assuming it goes:

20 + 8 + 10 +2+3+2 =45.

Do you think it is possible for me to get a 2 with 45 raw?
Original post by Rahul.S
I originally backed out of q6.....but after drawing a good diagram and actually knowing what cyclic means.....its quite neat. This probably was my favourite question in the paper :tongue:

How was it?
Original post by desijut
Thanks made my day :biggrin: 20/20 (a gift as long as you got your head around the first part)

Yeah there was nothing difficult about it. Even if someone couldn't find P(Y<y) using N, they could mentally integrate the PDF that was to be shown between 0 and y to get the result and write it down. I'm still confused as to why they phrased it as "write down"; surely that makes it all too easy...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by desijut

I think there were several applied gifts in this paper..the more I look at it the more I think those who restricted themselves to pure were severely handicapped
Original post by TheMagicMan
I think there were several applied gifts in this paper..the more I look at it the more I think those who restricted themselves to pure were severely handicapped

That's sort of similar to what happened with last year's II paper... so the boundaries shouldn't be that different to 2011 right?
Original post by Peter8837
That's sort of similar to what happened with last year's II paper... so the boundaries shouldn't be that different to 2011 right?

Perhaps. However, I think that 9,11,13 on this paper were all easier than anything from last year
Perhaps. However, I think that 9,11,13 on this paper were all easier than anything from last year

Maybe but, in terms of applied, Q9, Q13 (and Q12) from last year were particularly easy.

Damn my school for making us do D1 and D2 (also my fault for not self teaching extra modules though, I guess.)
Q6 part i)

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending