The Student Room Group

AQA textiles gcse exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Springroo96
For the last question about construction I put industrial machines! I think that's wrong???

i think they were talking about whether the fabric was woven, bonded or knitted. i think you had to be specific, i said warp knitting

keep in mind 120 points so if you lose out on a few it wont hurt that much :smile:
Reply 21
This was a horrible exam. Why would they ask us to draw how to do a method of hand embroidery...?! I put zigzag stitch and French stitch which are random guesses. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by Sapphirex
This was a horrible exam. Why would they ask us to draw how to do a method of hand embroidery...?! I put zigzag stitch and French stitch which are random guesses. :frown:

dunno, i put chain stitch and cross stitch. i looked through the paper first and saw that i had to draw the stitch and freaked out because i only thought of chain and blanket but i didnt know how to make them, then cross stitch came into mind - stroke of genius :wink:

i think we should all stop worrying and just wait till results day. i mean this exam is important to me because i got a low C on my project because i gave up on it in the end, so i really need the marks to boost my grade up, hopefully to a B or an A. but to be honest, textiles isn't going to help me much in my chosen career field.
I got 100% on my coursework so how much do you think I'll need for an a* overall?
Wow I'm glad some people got similar answers to me. 90% of my class missed out the last question about fabric construction. I put knitted as it is lightweight so the baby won't feel weighed down, stretchy so it won't limit movement and knitted as it is breathable so it will allow the baby to keep cool as there are air spaces.

For the recycled materials one I don't remember everything I put but I did something to do with plastic bottles being made into them, patchwork designs from recycled material, recycled paper being used as packaging instead of regular plastic that isn't biodegradable and use recycled components like buttons to make a product look more decorative etc,

The cutting tools one I put zigzag scissor on the zigzag looking one and said it's used to make a product aesthetically appealing. I think I wrote one of them was a drill and one a hot notcher.

For two embroidered stitches I chose double stitch and cross stitch.

Oh and that question about what electronic devices can be put on a child's product, I put a music device, a talking device and a heating device along with explanations.

For the CAM question I wrote: CAM is safer for the workforce as it contains a device that checks machine settings to make them all shut down in an emergency, CAM produces high quality printed designs, CAM monitors quality so all products are well made and CAM is done with automated machinery so all the designs will be produced with a consistent colour.

For the 2 labels we had to circle on the back I was thinking back to when I was young and wore vests and they didn't need dry cleaning and they could be ironed so I chose the recycling symbol and the CE one even though I didn't really know what it was.
It wasn't too bad as a whole, couple of weird questions but was alright.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Sapphirex

thats what i put so hopefuly thats right :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Magenta96
Wow I'm glad some people got similar answers to me. 90% of my class missed out the last question about fabric construction. I put knitted as it is lightweight so the baby won't feel weighed down, stretchy so it won't limit movement and knitted as it is breathable so it will allow the baby to keep cool as there are air spaces.

For the recycled materials one I don't remember everything I put but I did something to do with plastic bottles being made into them, patchwork designs from recycled material, recycled paper being used as packaging instead of regular plastic that isn't biodegradable and use recycled components like buttons to make a product look more decorative etc,

The cutting tools one I put zigzag scissor on the zigzag looking one and said it's used to make a product aesthetically appealing. I think I wrote one of them was a drill and one a hot notcher.

For two embroidered stitches I chose double stitch and cross stitch.

Oh and that question about what electronic devices can be put on a child's product, I put a music device, a talking device and a heating device along with explanations.

For the CAM question I wrote: CAM is safer for the workforce as it contains a device that checks machine settings to make them all shut down in an emergency, CAM produces high quality printed designs, CAM monitors quality so all products are well made and CAM is done with automated machinery so all the designs will be produced with a consistent colour.

For the 2 labels we had to circle on the back I was thinking back to when I was young and wore vests and they didn't need dry cleaning and they could be ironed so I chose the recycling symbol and the CE one even though I didn't really know what it was.
It wasn't too bad as a whole, couple of weird questions but was alright.

hey
most of what you put i put aswell
i found the police thing quite hard
oh yh did you find what the first question hard?
i created a product like a dress for the first question
it wasnt clear and i also did annotations as i wasnt sure what the quwstion wanted :frown:
the desining was gd found that ok
anyway hope we both do well
what do you think i need for a A*?
Original post by Sammy95
i think they were talking about whether the fabric was woven, bonded or knitted. i think you had to be specific, i said warp knitting

keep in mind 120 points so if you lose out on a few it wont hurt that much :smile:

ah thats good! do you know how much the last question was worth?
Reply 28
Original post by Springroo96
ah thats good! do you know how much the last question was worth?

6 marks on the last question
how did you find it?
Got some really good news on the grade boundaries! I checked the AQA raw mark grade boundaries for the June 2011 textiles paper and it's only 65% to get an A and 75% for an A*. Hopefully, if everyone found this exam quite hard which by the looks of things they have, this grade boundary will go even lower meaning higher grades for all of us. :smile:

Oh the first question was a repeat pattern so I split the box into six squares and did alternating patterns on them (like something you'd find on a quilt) inspired by the rainforest. I loved how they didn't ask us to use colour on most of the designs because I was panicking loads about how I'd have no time to colour neatly whilst drawing and annotating.

What did everyone write about the question about what fabric you'd use to make a child's toy? I wrote cotton as it can be easily dyed therefore can be made colourful and children love this, cotton is lightweight so the child can carry it around, it's durable so the toy won't wear out and cotton is strong so the toy is less likely to rip. Some of my friends wrote fleece but this wasn't in the textbook so I barely knew the properties so I played safe. Hopefully, they'll accept a range of responses. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Aaaah ^ thank-you for posting this! I hope they are low!!!! I put cotton too! :smile: some questions were just random-.- and the drawing of the hand embroidery technique....what was that!?

I know lol it was a weird question, I wrote about cross stitching. I was basically saying things like put the needle into the fabric, go diagonally and go back down and ended up writing paragraphs for each diagram I drew because I worried I wasn't being clear! I'm glad they didn't ask us construction techniques like how to make a dart or a flat fell seam or something as I'm not very good at those.
Reply 32
Original post by Aeriel
The embroidery stitches isn't even in the textbook!
Didn't go great, and was rushed for time so badly

Hello,
do you remember any questions from the textile GCSE exam.
It would be really grateful if you could tell me.:smile:
Reply 33
hello does someone now the answers for the 2013 textile paper
Reply 34
do u remember the topics on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending