The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't unless it's a steep hill :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by MissLightyear
Common sense would say the car coming from behind should be aware that there may be a car there, youre taught to prepare for that sort of thing. I'll definitely do it in the future though, dont want to lose my car because of an idiot.

There is the first error - the first two words - common sense - assume all others do not have it
Reply 42
Any sort of incline or decline, if I know I'll be there for say 10 seconds or more, then I'll use the handbrake to save annoying the person behind with my brake lights.

On level ground I just leave my foot on the brake so people coming up behind are aware that I am stopped. Then once they're stopped behind me I just take my foot off the brake and leave the car in 1st ready to go again. Level ground is still time dependant though. If I've just pulled up to a set of lights that have just changed to red then I might pull the handbrake on one click and knock the car out of gear, but otherwise it's no handbrake and left in 1st.
For short periods of time, say 5 seconds, if the traffic is
Original post by naman
Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

When I drove manual, I always found using the handbrake just made it easier. You can give your feet a rest, and it makes pulling off smoother. Since you've only just passed, you'll probably find it easier to use the handbrake, because it's just easier, and you'll be less likely to stall. Especially since you are getting a car of your own, and you'll never have driven it before, so you won't be used to the biting point for a while. When you become more confident with driving you'll find you won't need to use the handbrake as much.

It is also safer to use the handbrake. Hypothetically, say that you are the second car, stopped at the traffic lights. Imagine the car behind you hits you. If you only have the footbrake applied, you are likely to release it, as your foot may slip off or something. Then you no longer have anything stopping you, so you'll be likely to roll into the car in front, thus causing yourself to have an accident. As a new driver your insurance will go up massively, and you probably won't be able to afford it. Whereas if the handbrake is applied correctly, you are highly unlikely to move forward, unless you are hit at a great speed.
I used to use the handbrake all the time on my old car- literally every time I can to a stop I was onto the handbrake. It was in such an easy place to use.

My new car however, has it in a different place which makes it more awkward to use. So now I just hold the footbrake and never use the handbrake unless i'm parking. I've got that hill hold thing on my car so even on hills I don't have to use it.

However if it's dark and I'm in a traffic jam then i'll use it so it doesn't blind the person behind. Other than that instance, a few seconds looking at a brake light in front isn't going to hurt anyone...
Original post by Tillybop
...you are likely to release it, as your foot may slip off or something.

Eh? If the car starts moving because someones hit you you'll push the brake harder as a reaction!!
Original post by Runninground
Eh? If the car starts moving because someones hit you you'll push the brake harder as a reaction!!

Not necessarily. Have you ever been in a car crash? Everything happens so quickly you wouldn't think to push hard on the brake, and there's no guarantee you would do it by instinct.
Reply 48
Why revive a 2 year old thread?
I never use the handbrake aside from actually parking. I do however, always bump it into neutral as I come to a stop to save my throwout bearing, and put it into first again as I'm about to move off.

It shouldn't cause you any strain to wait with your foot on the brake pedal - it requires almost no effort at all to keep a car stopped on flat ground with the foot brake. The weight of your foot alone should be sufficient in most cars to simply stop them from rolling.

And those saying that the hand brake is safer in the event of a rear end shunt - think about this a second. You're saying that a manually, cable operated brake on two wheels will prevent the car from moving better than a servo assisted, hydraulic brake operating on all four wheels? You've obviously not been in a rear end shunt! I have, and it was a fairly heavy one at that. If I'd been using just my handbrake, my car would have been pushed out into 70mph dual carriageway traffic. My instinctive reaction was to press as hard on the brake as I could. My car moved forward about three feet. It'd have been a lot more than that if I'd been waiting on the hand brake. The only thing that saved my car was the tow bar. Aside from the bumper being knocked off a clip (fixed with a zip tie) my car was absolutely fine. The front of the other guy's car was badly messed up.

Foot brakes for me please.
I honestly find indicators in a queue at night much more off-putting than brake lights.
Original post by naman
Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

I never use my handbrake unless I'm parking the car.

You can use the footbrake, or if its only for a short amount of time just hold the car on the clutch and accelerator.
What about if you were sitting on traffic and had your foot on the clutch depressed and foot brakes,will it wear the clutch components?
Original post by Koolman511
What about if you were sitting on traffic and had your foot on the clutch depressed and foot brakes,will it wear the clutch components?

It'll wear the throwout bearing. It's a consumable component so it gets changed when the clutch is changed, but if it wears out before the clutch it's a very expensive job for a cheap part. You're best off just knocking it into neutral as you roll up to a stop. It's a good habit to have and saves your clutch leg effort. It's worth noting as well that resting your foot on the clutch as you drive wears the throwout bearing too. The only time your foot should be on the clutch is when changing gears.
Depends but it's irrespective of hill angle (obv if I need more than 2k revs to keep it on the clutch because it's hella steep I'll just hill start it). Less than 3 seconds I'll keep it on the break. If it's more than 2-3 seconds I'll just apply the handbreak, and keep the clutch depressed, after about 8 seconds stopped I'll take it out of gear. I think this is pretty reasonable driving.
I only use my handbrake if I am.stopped at traffic for long periods of time but other than that I just use my normal brakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I first passed I did this too, you'll eventually use the handbrake as it takes less effort believe it or not.
Old thread is old.

I would use the handbrake but mine basically doesn't work.

I still take it out of gear though if i'm going to be waiting a little while.
It's safer in my opinion to use the handbrake.. If someone runs into the back of you then the handbrake is more secure than keeping your foot on the brake pedal, and if you panic then you'll probably take your foot off and roll into someone in front of you or into the path of some other traffic.. I always get a bit nervous of drivers in front of me who don't use their handbrake, some do tend to roll back quite a lot before they move off! I always use my handbrake, then you just need to plan ahead, you can release it just as you reach the biting point, and then you haven't wasted any time :smile:
Reply 59
The handbrake should be applied - it will stop your vehicle being shunted forward in the event of a rear end collision.

Latest

Trending

Trending