Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Cheapest place to sit Maths A Level at 20

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Heya. Been looking to improve my maths skills and C.V by doing a maths A Level in my spare time. However even to just sit all 6 exams seems to be 350 at ICSLearn. Does anyone know of some cheaper ways to sit the exam? Seems ridiculous when all i want is to sit at the back of an exam hall and do the papers.

Thanks guys
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
    Heya. Been looking to improve my maths skills and C.V by doing a maths A Level in my spare time. However even to just sit all 6 exams seems to be 350 at ICSLearn. Does anyone know of some cheaper ways to sit the exam? Seems ridiculous when all i want is to sit at the back of an exam hall and do the papers.
    (ICS normally sells courses but does nothing to help you arrange the exams. Are you sure the £350 isn't just for the course?)

The exam board fees are between £11 and £16 per unit but most centres add on a fee for their admin, invigilation etc. You need to ring round local centres and see if any of them will accept you. (the Private schools are more likely to accept private candidates but state schools are likely to be cheaper. You don't say which exam board you are thinking of doing but they all have pages for Private candidates on their websites which include advice on finding a centre.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Data)
    (ICS normally sells courses but does nothing to help you arrange the exams. Are you sure the £350 isn't just for the course?)

The exam board fees are between £11 and £16 per unit but most centres add on a fee for their admin, invigilation etc. You need to ring round local centres and see if any of them will accept you. (the Private schools are more likely to accept private candidates but state schools are likely to be cheaper. You don't say which exam board you are thinking of doing but they all have pages for Private candidates on their websites which include advice on finding a centre.
    I hadnt even checked that. my local uni sixth form charges 80 per unit, i.e 480. ideally i'd like to do the whole thing for under 200. thanks, ill check edexcel and aqa out
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested, Nottingham girls high school does exams for 30 quid plus exam fees - 100 for the whole maths paper, bargain

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.