Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exercising and gaining weight

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I know this is a question that is asked alot but i would really like a personal answer to my question.
    I have been exercising for about a month and a half now and before i started exercising i had been purely just dieting and had gotten myself down to 8 1/2 stone. which i was really pleased with. But i wanted to improve my fitness as well and I thought the exercise would help to keep me at this weight.

However I am now up to 9 stone... I dont know if this is normal really...to gain so much gain in less and two months. I have been on the same diet, just with exercise now included.
    I do 25-30 minutes of exercise a day (or every other day).

I hope someone can help me out :3

thank you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty easy to gain weight, however what your saying doesn't really make sense being on the exact same diet yet now exercise (presuming its cardio) won't cause you to gain weight unless you started binging on some unhealthy snack afterwards feeling depriving or hungry. You have to give more details on what your regularly daily diet is and what does 30minutes of exercise consists for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you consistently weighing considerably more, or have you just weighed yourself once and you are heavier?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    You may have just gained muscle which weighs more than fat
    dont listen to this complete moron..

either you have been eating more, you weighed yourself at a different time of day, or its water weight
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    You may have just gained muscle which weighs more than fat
    Please don't post in topics like these when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're seriously suggesting a female, with a fraction of the testosterone of a male, has put on 7lbs or more of muscle in less than 2 months? lmao :jester:

OP is consuming more calories than she's burning. It would help if she told us exactly what she's been eating on a typical day (portion sizes included), along with what exercise she does and, most importantly, the intensity of the exercise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    Its pretty easy to gain weight, however what your saying doesn't really make sense being on the exact same diet yet now exercise (presuming its cardio) won't cause you to gain weight unless you started binging on some unhealthy snack afterwards feeling depriving or hungry. You have to give more details on what your regularly daily diet is and what does 30minutes of exercise consists for you.
    My diet is normally a breakfast toast or cereal (just something small), a sandwich for lunch, and dinner would be 1 meat and 1 veg, and i rarely snack now because i really worry about gaining weight ^^; I was originally 11 stone... a very big girl for someone of the height of 5'2 and this is the sort of diet i have been sticking to i have lost that weight over about a year and a half , which is a long period but it was all about just cutting down what i ate.
    I hope this sort of answers your question

(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Are you consistently weighing considerably more, or have you just weighed yourself once and you are heavier?
    Ermm I dont quite understand the question,
    but I weigh myself every other day since i started the exercising and only recently because of the weigh gain have i started measuring my waist just to see if i am actually doing any to myself (gaining weight or losing weight)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Please don't post in topics like these when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You're seriously suggesting a female, with a fraction of the testosterone of a male, has put on 7lbs or more of muscle in less than 2 months? lmao :jester:

OP is consuming more calories than she's burning. It would help if she told us exactly what she's been eating on a typical day (portion sizes included), along with what exercise she does and, most importantly, the intensity of the exercise.

I am not really sure of the intensity of the exercising I am doing, sorry >.<
    I guess the intensity of the exercise I am doing is quite low, I do mainly sit ups, squats, push ups and running.

I just really dont understand why I am gaining weight at this point as I was losing weight without doing anything but now I am doing things i have gained weight.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Actually, someone raised a good point of reminder. Some Digital weights are prone to be inaccurate (just cause it gives the figure to 3 significant numbers doesn't mean its accurate). I'll take the figure given as an approximation but for best results take your weight first thing in the morning after brushing your teeth, ideally have the digital weights kept somewhere where room temperature will be maintained. Balance beam scales remain the most accurate but are naturally more expensive, if your Gym has one it would be handy to compare weight samples.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-fluffee)
    I am not really sure of the intensity of the exercising I am doing, sorry >.<
    I guess the intensity of the exercise I am doing is quite low, I do mainly sit ups, squats, push ups and running.

I just really dont understand why I am gaining weight at this point as I was losing weight without doing anything but now I am doing things i have gained weight.
    Spend your 30mins doing jogging (covering about 2 miles odd in distance at first) and I guarantee you that you'll achieve better results if your goal is simply to lose weight (as long as your diet remains healthy).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-fluffee)
    My diet is normally a breakfast toast or cereal (just something small), a sandwich for lunch, and dinner would be 1 meat and 1 veg, and i rarely snack now because i really worry about gaining weight ^^; I was originally 11 stone... a very big girl for someone of the height of 5'2 and this is the sort of diet i have been sticking to i have lost that weight over about a year and a half , which is a long period but it was all about just cutting down what i ate.
    I hope this sort of answers your question

Ermm I dont quite understand the question,
    but I weigh myself every other day since i started the exercising and only recently because of the weigh gain have i started measuring my waist just to see if i am actually doing any to myself (gaining weight or losing weight)
    How consistently are you weighing yourself now to how you did when you were 8 1/2 stone. Were they both first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach?

Weight fluctuates quite a lot. There are lots of variables, food and water weight,whether or not you have been to the loo.

Also, I imagine you are eating more carbohydrate to fuel your exercise?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    How consistently are you weighing yourself now to how you did when you were 8 1/2 stone. Were they both first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach?

Weight fluctuates quite a lot. There are lots of variables, food and water weight,whether or not you have been to the loo.

Also, I imagine you are eating more carbohydrate to fuel your exercise?
    When i was 8 1/2 I would weigh my self everyday at about 6:30 as this is when i would wake up for school. I still weigh myself in the morning but more around 9 because i dont have to get up for school.

I have been drinking alot of herbal tea at the moment when i feel hungry in the evening or during the day but i cant imagine that this is having such an effect on me.

I have been having a bigger breakfast lately because i have felt hungry and i feel its the only 'safe' time for me to eat food other wise i really worry about getting fat ^^;;
    otherwise i really try not to eat more as i just worry and feel like i am this whale of a beast :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurvan)
    Actually, someone raised a good point of reminder. Some Digital weights are prone to be inaccurate (just cause it gives the figure to 3 significant numbers doesn't mean its accurate). I'll take the figure given as an approximation but for best results take your weight first thing in the morning after brushing your teeth, ideally have the digital weights kept somewhere where room temperature will be maintained. Balance beam scales remain the most accurate but are naturally more expensive, if your Gym has one it would be handy to compare weight samples.
    You're just being nice, by "brushing your teeth" you mean "your morning dump". Your weight changes a lot after that and more accurately reflects the weight of your actual body, not stuff in it. I'm sure the OP isn't some delicate flower
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about this.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, perhaps you're subconsciously eating more to compensate for the increased exercise and not realising it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can see a nutritionist and tell them to guide you on a proper diet. Also you can search the web for different ideas about this situation. A little increase in weight is Ok, and there is no need to panic about it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bergmanterrie)
    You can see a nutritionist and tell them to guide you on a proper diet. Also you can search the web for different ideas about this situation. A little increase in weight is Ok, and there is no need to panic about it.
    or you could go to the toilet, wipe your arse on a piece of paper and hang it on the wall, because it say as much value as a nutritionist's opinion/qualification.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.