The Student Room Group

Race for life...sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Luxray
Sorry it just annoys me greatly when I see things like " if some guys actually cared about raising money for Prostate/Testicular cancer and other cancers then they could prove a very good source of income for these charities. But no, just complain instead".
Your assuming that guys don't care about raising money for such charities and I find that pretty disgusting. I care about both genders and its attitudes like her's make me wonder if you actually care about men's health.

I'm inclined to believe that if the guys who claimed that there'd be an outcry if there were male only events (which there are) were actually interested in raising money for these charities, then they'd know about these events. I said some guys for a reason. What exactly is it about that attitude that makes you wonder whether or not I care about men's health :confused:
Reply 121
Original post by rlw31
Then why don't you start campaigning for 'men's charities'? You think things like Race for Life came out of nowhere? People worked hard to gain awareness. As I said earlier, too much complaining and not enough action.

There is action, do you not think people are working hard for men's health to gain awareness? there is plenty of action just not enough support from women. If this big organisation such as Race for life exists then why does it not support men and actually allow men to race as well?
Reply 122
Well I got banned from Movember.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 123
Original post by rlw31
Then why don't you start campaigning for 'men's charities'? You think things like Race for Life came out of nowhere? People worked hard to gain awareness. As I said earlier, too much complaining and not enough action.

It came from the UK's largest cancer charity. It didn't start from "out of nowhere". There are thousands of charities most of which people haven't heard of. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to raise awareness, just that it is a particularly crowded area.

I also don't think setting up new charities is a good idea as it results in replication.
Original post by Dobrzynski
Only on TSR can a charity event be deemed racist.

*sexist. If there are charities that have male only runs, I'd call that sexist as well. Female only gyms however, that's not sexist imo
Reply 125
Original post by maxPP
Probably because despite being the 'biggest prostate and testicular cancer fund raiser' (which I would dispute) hardly anyone has heard of them. I'm a research student and know the various charities quite well as they are potential sources of funding. I had never heard of the eyeontheball event.

Events such as Race for Life etc. depend very much on advertising for their successes whether it be direct (TV ads) or because the organiser is a well known charity (as Cancer Research UK is). While it may be established as a brand in its own right now, this was not the case 10 or 15 years ago, when it very much relied on the CRUK name. Race for Life also benefits from companies clamouring to be associated with certain causes particularly breast cancer (with not altogether positive results).

www.dailyfinance.com/2009/10/12/pink-ribbon-overkill-companies-exploit-breast-cancer-campaigns/

Smaller charities struggle to put on such events because they tend not to be successful if people don't know about them. Compared with CRUK, Everyman is tiny.
The old adage 'you have to spend money to make money' is every bit as true for charities as it is for companies (although this has unfortunately led to charities embracing centralism and essentially operating as companies).

I seem to remember Robbie Williams doing a video for them which was pretty famous at the time. They launched a Rachel Stevens testicular cancer website that received over 750,000 visitors in the first two weeks alone. They have had their publicity. Once again, perhaps some people don't care about it as much as they are making out.

Original post by monk_keys
Who knows? It's fairly irrelevant really.

What? So you're against both female only and male only events because it reinforces some unknown stereotype that you consider to be irrelevant anyway :s-smilie:

Original post by Luxray
There is action, do you not think people are working hard for men's health to gain awareness? there is plenty of action just not enough support from women. If this big organisation such as Race for life exists then why does it not support men and actually allow men to race as well?

Of course people are. I just think that many of the keyboard warriors do nothing but complain seem content to do just that, complain.

Cancer Research UK, the charity that Race for Life raises money for, does have male only and unisex events.

Original post by maxPP
It came from the UK's largest cancer charity. It didn't start from "out of nowhere". There are thousands of charities most of which people haven't heard of. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to raise awareness, just that it is a particularly crowded area.

I also don't think setting up new charities is a good idea as it results in replication.

Well yes, back in 1994 it was relatively unknown.

I know other charities/events exist, what's your point :confused:
Reply 126
Original post by de_monies
*sexist. If there are charities that have male only runs, I'd call that sexist as well. Female only gyms however, that's not sexist imo

What's the difference?
Reply 127
Original post by rlw31
I seem to remember Robbie Williams doing a video for them which was pretty famous at the time. They launched a Rachel Stevens testicular cancer website that received over 750,000 visitors in the first two weeks alone. They have had their publicity. Once again, perhaps some people don't care about it as much as they are making out.

What? So you're against both female only and male only events because it reinforces some unknown stereotype that you consider to be irrelevant anyway :s-smilie:

Of course people are. I just think that many of the keyboard warriors do nothing but complain seem content to do just that, complain.

Cancer Research UK, the charity that Race for Life raises money for, does have male only and unisex events.

Well yes, back in 1994 it was relatively unknown.

I know other charities/events exist, what's your point :confused:

When you go on the Cancer Research site, the womens one is promoted quite a lot but I'm finding it a little tricky to find the mens stuff. Do you see how despite the efforts of many to promote mens-only stuff. Its just not effective.
Reply 128
Original post by Luxray
When you go on the Cancer Research site, the womens one is promoted quite a lot but I'm finding it a little tricky to find the mens stuff. Do you see how despite the efforts of many to promote mens-only stuff. Its just not effective.

What do you mean the women's one? On the homepage it has links to two events, Race for Life and Shine. Other than that it has various links to other parts of its site but not to any specific events or gender specific cancer (apart from its latest blog post which also mentions prostate cancer)
Reply 129
Original post by rlw31
What do you mean the women's one? On the homepage it has links to two events, Race for Life and Shine. Other than that it has various links to other parts of its site but not to any specific events or gender specific cancer (apart from its latest blog post which also mentions prostate cancer)

Well there you go, why don't they put a male-only event on the homepage.
Reply 130
Original post by Luxray
Well there you go, why don't they put a male-only event on the homepage.

They can't put everything on the homepage, don't you think it makes sense to have two of their most popular events on the homepage?

Click on 'Support Us' it has links for information about making donations, taking part in events, fundraising, volunteering, campaigning etc
Original post by rlw31

I'm against all stereotyping, which ones are at play in this instance is irrelevant.

I can't foresee an argument for female only Race for Life that isn't based on some sort of stereotype. You have conveniently offered no explanation as to why women would not want men to take part.
Reply 132
Original post by rlw31
They can't put everything on the homepage, don't you think it makes sense to have two of their most popular events on the homepage?

Click on 'Support Us' it has links for information about making donations, taking part in events, fundraising, volunteering, campaigning etc

Don't you think it makes sense to create awareness for a charity that isn't one of the most popular.
God I can't be bothered discussing this with you anymore.
Reply 133
I'm against all stereotyping, which ones are at play in this instance is irrelevant.

I can't foresee an argument for female only Race for Life that isn't based on some sort of stereotype. You have conveniently offered no explanation as to why women would not want men to take part.

I offered ideas, however, I cannot read the minds of everybody that's taken part in the event to determine why they picked Race for Life.

Let's ban it because it reinforces stereotype x :rolleyes:
Original post by rlw31
I offered ideas, however, I cannot read the minds of everybody that's taken part in the event to determine why they picked Race for Life.

Let's ban it because it reinforces stereotype x :rolleyes:

Let's open it up to men because it reinforces stereotypes.
Reply 135
Original post by Luxray
Don't you think it makes sense to create awareness for a charity that isn't one of the most popular.
God I can't be bothered discussing this with you anymore.

For God's sake, they're not separate charities, they're seperate events that all raise money for Cancer Research UK.

Why would it make sense to make a small event, that can only cater to a small number of people, in a small town the focal point of the homepage?
always wondered what would happen if I took part...(trans woman) I imagine alot of abuse/wierd looks/frowns
Reply 137
Let's open it up to men because it reinforces stereotypes.

Sure.
Reply 138
Original post by fallen_acorns
always wondered what would happen if I took part...(trans woman) I imagine alot of abuse/wierd looks/frowns

http://raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org/utilities/faqs/who-can-enter/index.html

8. Can I take part if I am a transvestite or transgender?

Under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 we are happy to accept entries from individuals who possess a female birth certificate or gender recognition certificate. However, as Race for Life is a female-only event we have a promise and responsibility to our female supporters to ensure our Race for Life events are represented by women only. Therefore, if you do not have either a gender recognition certificate or a female birth certificate, we are afraid you will not be able to participate in Race for Life.
While it is annoying and well a limit on men who don't have the training to do a longer event, and yes a bit sexist
I would be more worried that this is meant to be fund rising for all cancers, but people it is women only that fund rising will be geared toward female cancers, and mainly breast cancer (yes I know men can get it too). While male cancer get forgotten about

There really should be more 5km events open for everyone because well 10km+ you need training for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending