Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Splits & Being Flexible

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It took me 4 months to learn how to do the splits. And get flexible enough. And I'm 16. Anyone can do it, who still has their strength and some flexibility.

Nowadays I do the splits everywhere, even during sex lool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Lol, how am I wasting anyones time? It's up to them to decide how to use their time.
    Encouraging them to pursue unachievable goals.

And how can I recognise their limits when I don't even know them?
    Ridiculous.
    Yes, exactly.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Encouraging them to pursue unachievable goals.
    I didn't "encourage", I made a statement. Are you just bored?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't you get stretch marks around your groin area. Doesn't sound good lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've done dance, gymnastics and karate, with kicks probably being my strength in them all, so hopefully i'll help a little bit it'll probably be explained awfully but hopefully you'll get my points..

You don't need to be flexible to have good kicks, I could kick my leg to my head way before I could do the splits, you just need to make sure you have good form- try to keep you core tight when you kick, don't aim for height when you're first training them, just try to keep both legs straight, and your heel on the floor. you could also try an exercise i do now that tones your thighs and helps with kicks- step back into a deep lunge (keeping your core tight) and pull you back leg through so you end up standing doing a kick. do 12-15 of these on each leg, and try to do 2-3 sets; my left leg is no where near as flexible as my right so i'm doing these exercises to increase the flexibility in my left leg.

Some people can't do splits because of genetics. I taught myself to do scissor splits and oversplits (when you do splits past 180 degrees) when I was about 14 in about 2 weeks, but could never manage to do a proper box split just because my hips simply wont allow me to do it, i'm sure i read on a dance forum that only some people can do box splits because of the way their hips are designed.

The best thing to do is just stretch as often as possible, at one point i was stretching twice a day (which was too much as now i have a bad hip from it), aim to stretch every other day, and even if you don't get your splits any stretching will be beneficial to martial arts

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.