Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you agree with fees for university?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with fees which can be paid for by student loans?
    Yes, and the fee cap should be higher/unlimited fees
    8.97%
    Yes, and the current fee cap is fine. (9000)
    17.95%
    Yes, but lower fee cap
    45.73%
    No, all education should be funded through taxes.
    27.35%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should students foot the bill for some, alot, all, none of their education, or should the taxpayer do so? Poll included. Assume that there is a student loan system in place which will give a loan to everybody, regardless of income.

I personally think there should be fees, but the cap should be higher and it should increase along with inflation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fees should be uncapped and the students should pay

I dont want to pay taxes which go towards somebodies art history degree or american studies degree or some other useless degree.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is unfair to ask the general public to pay for other people's higher education. It is a privalige to go to university, not a right, therefor you should pay for it yourself.

However I don't know if the cap should be lowered/raised/removed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should pay for your university education, for sure. The system now, is fine whereby you get a loan off the government in order to pay for it. The way in which it is paid back under this new system actually seems quite fair to me... So keep it how it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shezshez)
    You should pay for your university education, for sure. The system now, is fine whereby you get a loan off the government in order to pay for it. The way in which it is paid back under this new system actually seems quite fair to me... So keep it how it is.
    But do you think it should at least be able to adjust with inflation? Doesn't make much sense otherwise imo. 9000 pounds will be worth much less in 50 years than it is now. Better to adjust it constantly rather than in one big shift.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unsure about the cap, however I do agree with paying for uni. We've already at least 13 free years of education.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about all those people who would do brilliant at uni but can't pay for it? and they get no help to do so?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r4ndom)
    What about all those people who would do brilliant at uni but can't pay for it? and they get no help to do so?
    They do get help, that's what the student loan is for.

You only pay back if you can afford it. I'd prefer a graduate tax, but really that's what we have. Just graduate tax sounds like a nicer way of putting it than student debt.

But I'm Scottish so I get it paid for by the taxman
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    They do get help, that's what the student loan is for.

You only pay back if you can afford it. I'd prefer a graduate tax, but really that's what we have. Just graduate tax sounds like a nicer way of putting it than student debt.

But I'm Scottish so I get it paid for by the taxman
    Ok, if the student loan works that way and really covers all those people who can't afford it...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    University should be funded by the taxpayer, just like school and college is. You get that for free and you earn your right go to uni by working hard, so why should you have to pay £9,000? It would almost certainly open university up to highly capable working class people who were deprived of the chance of going in the past because they couldn't afford to go.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    University should be funded by the taxpayer, just like school and college is. You get that for free and you earn your right go to uni by working hard, so why should you have to pay £9,000? It would almost certainly open university up to highly capable working class people who were deprived of the chance of going in the past because they couldn't afford to go.
    It works like that in Spain, and it can seem fair and all that.

But if we count all the people who are going to University, doing nothing, living life and party and taking 6 to 9 year to gain a degree...

I wonder how much money that cost to tax payers...

So I don't agree 100% with the 9000 fee but I also think it avoids wasting time and money. Time for "students" who shouldn't be in University and money for tax payers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    fee cap should be standard across the UK! and lowered, £9000 per year is a ridiculously large sum of money and for degrees lasting longer than 3 years, individuals are going to be paying off loans for years to come! £3000 per annum would be a reasonable fee for me.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewGallagher)
    fee cap should be standard across the UK! and lowered, £9000 per year is a ridiculously large sum of money and for degrees lasting longer than 3 years, individuals are going to be paying off loans for years to come! £3000 per annum would be a reasonable fee for me.
    Yep agreed...I think 3 grand is a reasonable fee :borat:
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe tertiary education is a right at all, it's perfectly reasonable that people should be expected to pay.

And now with so many more people going to Uni you can't expect the tax payer to foot the bill. Including tax payers who never went to university themselves and whose children or grand children won't either.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If only EU students didn't get the same rates, we could lower the cap for actual home students.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if the student loan works that way and really covers all those people who can't afford it...
    Eh?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Eh?
    mmm Did I express myself wrong?
    Is the loan given to every student who wish to go to University and can't afford it?

If it's not, I think it's unfair.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    mmm Did I express myself wrong?
    Is the loan given to every student who wish to go to University and can't afford it?

If it's not, I think it's unfair.
    Yeah. They give you 2 loans, one for tuition fees and one to help you pay the cost of living at uni.

Then after you graduate they measure what you earn and you only need to pay back what you can afford.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. They give you 2 loans, one for tuition fees and one to help you pay the cost of living at uni.

Then after you graduate they measure what you earn and you only need to pay back what you can afford.
    Ok. Then it seems that this system doesn't exclude any student wishing to go to uni, so I think is not a bad system to have.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO, employers should pay for university and maintenance. Students would pay it back by working for them during the holidays and for a set period after graduation. In this system, those students who can't get an employer to sponsor them should pay the full fees themselves.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.