The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Both the people of Eygpt and the UK are powerless over the way their countries are run. Here in the UK power is being shipped off to Europe to the grubby hands of unelected politicians like Barroso and in Eygpt power is already stuck to the hands of their corrupt leaders.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by recurring500
Both the people of Eygpt and the UK are powerless over the way their countries are run. Here in the UK power is being shipped off to Europe to the grubby hands of unelected politicians like Barroso and in Eygpt power is already stuck to the hands of their corrupt leaders.

I'm no fan of the EU, but comparing it to Egypts fight for democracy is ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
None?
Original post by DaveSmith99
I'm no fan of the EU, but comparing it to Egypts fight for democracy is ridiculous.

The people of the UK are governed by legislation 80% of which is determined by the unelected leaders of the EU. In a similar (note this as the key word) way Egypt's people are largely governed by unelected leaders. The thread asks for similarities and denying that the powerlessness of the people of both countries is a similarity is foolish.

Reply 5
Both have ruled over large empires?
Reply 6
We're both human.

Boring. Another race thread.
Both Egypt and Britain (minus Scotland) were once part of the Roman Empire.

We built the Suez Canal, the Egyptians stole it from us. Ownership of the canal at different points is a similarity, right?

Original post by Spaz Man
Both have ruled over large empires?

Britain at its height ruled over one third of the world's population. Egypt has never had a significant empire beyond its own borders.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I got a good one.....

They both begin with the letter E
Reply 9
Original post by Super Cicero
Britain at its height ruled over one third of the world's population. Egypt has never had a significant empire beyond its own borders.

It was large in ancient times. We have to put things in context; Britain had a world-class modern (at the time) navy whereas Egypt obviously were greatly hindered when it came to things like transport.
Original post by Spaz Man
It was large in ancient times.

Not really though. In comparison to the Neo-Assyrian Empire, Neo-Babylonian Empire, Achaemenid Persian Empire, Alexander's Macedonian Empire and the Roman Empire, ancient Egypt was not very large or powerful.
Reply 11
We both have sand
Reply 12
Original post by johnnyavfc
I got a good one.....

They both begin with the letter E

unforutnatly the United Kingdom does not begin with E and whilst England might, that is only part of it. good try though sport :wink:
Reply 13
they are both countries
they both contain human beings
like the other guys said, we both have sand
Reply 14
The people of the UK are governed by legislation 80% of which is determined by the unelected leaders of the EU. In a similar (note this as the key word) way Egypt's people are largely governed by unelected leaders.

How's that democratic?
Original post by kka25
How's that democratic?

On the contrary, my point is that both countries are not democratic.

Reply 16
On the contrary, my point is that both countries are not democratic.

Owh, no, no; it's not that.

Never mind.
Original post by kka25
Owh, no, no; it's not that.

Never mind.

There's no point trying to pick a flaw in my argument if you won't tell me what it is.

Reply 18
There's no point trying to pick a flaw in my argument if you won't tell me what it is.

lol I did't detect any flaws in your arguments; it was supposed to be a question that would lead to some other question, which I'm not bothered at the moment.
Reply 19
The giant pyramids we have by the M25

Latest