Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will going on jobseekers for a year affect my university chances?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 in 2 weeks and just finished my national diploma. i am hoping to apply to universities towards the end of this year for placements in September 2013. I never had a job so if i claim jobseekers and look for work, will that effect my chances of entering a uni?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, why would it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nope, my brother did job seekers for 1 year and applied for uni at the same time too and now goes uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i just thought that they may think i was being lazy and choose other applicants over myself for that reason but i am probably just fretting about nothing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You won't have to mention you are on it in your application.
    Why not try and do some voluntary work relevant to your chosen course or try and get a job that is relevant and this would strengthen your application a lot and give you something to talk about in your personal statement. You can just say you took a gap year if you want to say what you were doing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Being on JSA doesn't mean you're lazy. The job market at the moment is a nightmare and it's not your fault that you cant find employment if you're genuinely looking

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They wont even know you were on it unless you put it in your application, however they might question what you've done with the year as obviously it's a lot of time that you should be making the most of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    4 million unemployed, has to be done for some people. I've struggled with my non existant uni funding, and I've looked everywhere for a job since October found nothing; it's pretty embarrassing that I can't even get JSA x
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your uni won't know that you have been claiming JSA. However, they will want to know that you have been doing something productive with your time - sitting on your backside for a year won't be viewed positively. If you're struggling to find paid work, then volunteering (relevant to your course, ideally) would be the next best thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolWhip123)
    I am 19 in 2 weeks and just finished my national diploma. i am hoping to apply to universities towards the end of this year for placements in September 2013. I never had a job so if i claim jobseekers and look for work, will that effect my chances of entering a uni?
    It won't make any difference. I was signing on for a year and a half whilst I was studying Access at college so I could go to uni.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.