Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth getting an iPad for uni?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just after some advice!
    I'm thinking of getting an iPad for uni instead of a laptop, however can I use Microsoft?
    Wot do you suggest?
    Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was given an iPad at sixth form and it can actually be quite useful providing you buy the right apps. It's more portable than a laptop which is a big bonus as you could take it with you to lectures easily.
    Apps such as Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are really good as they are basically the Apple equivalents of Word, Powerpoint, and Excel respectively. Another bonus is that with things such as Pages, you can email an essay you've just written and save it as a Word document, so it is easily accessible on a PC as well.
    Personally if you have a friend who owns an iPad I would also ask them what they think.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get an iPad instead of a laptop, but if you already have one and have the money spare then I would recommend one.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not instead of a laptop, no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    eughh never!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, get a laptop.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think they'd be harder to write essays on... I only use my dads for Internet browsing/games. But if you're used to it then why not?! They're more portable than laptops!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it isnt, stick to a decent laptop
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've found the ipad is better for games/ browsing quickly. I tried using it for work but its far easier to use a laptop.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not instead of a laptop but perhaps with one.

It really depends on what course you're doing and what you will use it for.

Obv some flaws are there is no USB and no flash and you will need to purchase some apps as well as have another device to load music etc onto it. But it's light, you can buy an accompanying keyboard, and the battery lasts for ages.

I love my iPad. I use it much more than my laptop
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've found the combination of a large laptop (17" or bigger) and a netbook quite good.
    A tablet is a nice add-on, but doesn't replace a laptop or two of them.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    I've found the combination of a large laptop (17" or bigger) and a netbook quite good.
    A tablet is a nice add-on, but doesn't replace a laptop or two of them.
    A large laptop and a tablet would be way, way better than a large laptop and a net book.

Net books are useless imo unless you're on a budget.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dezz21)
    Hi guys,
    Just after some advice!
    I'm thinking of getting an iPad for uni instead of a laptop, however can I use Microsoft?
    Wot do you suggest?
    Thanks

Hi, I recently bought the iPad 3 instead of buying a laptop for uni. I really really recommend you buy one if you are considering it because it's more than just a laptop and you can get a free app with Microsoft word, PowerPoint and Publisher. With an iPad you can video lectures too, and I personally think its better for a uni student but then again there are some other really good tablets and laptops out there!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laptops have a lot more built in functions - esp the CD/DVD drive and USB ports. iPad doesn't have either.

Hence for connecting USB flash drives, calculators, and reading software off CDs, you need to do conversions or buy adaptors.

Also an iPad is probably a more lust-worthy object and more likely to get stolen.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Google the 'Microsoft Surface Tablet' It' suppose to be 'better' than the iPad. Available soon

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Net books are useless imo unless you're on a budget.
    Nah. Netbooks are way better, particularly for uni where you might have to type
    a lot. Also better for sharing/exchanging files via USB.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible to rely completely on an iPad for university depending upon what course you're doing.

I know people who are reading law now and they only use an iPad or a tablet of some kind, definitely a possibility as there isn't any spreadsheet work to be done.. not any complex ones at least and essays generally doesn't require any graphs or charts. However the moment you read accounting or economics or something with an element of quantitative to it then the iPad is rather difficult as a laptop replacement.

One thing I would do if I was going to use just an iPad is to get an external keyboard at bare minimum otherwise it will be too slow to do any work.

A better solution would actually be the Asus Transformer.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Implying anything but when the Surface comes out (next year?) It would be interesting to see the uptake by new students!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you posted from TSR app I'm assuming you have an iPhone/iPod. Try typing up an essay on your iPhone. If it feels ok then get an iPad (I'm guessing it won't). I have an iPad, they are brilliant devices, but there have been many cases when I've needed to be productive and used the iPad only to discover how stressful it can be! Would definitely NOT recommend it! iPads work their magic as laptop companions. As a replacement they will leave you feeling exhausted from all the constant 'battling'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.