Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AS Applied IT. Boring or not?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I initially applied to do AS computing in college and just recently i have been sent a letter that computing is being no longer available in that but applied IT can be an alternative. I am seriously about to cry because i need computing, and i want to continue it into a university degree. I am aware that i could still do computer science or computing degree with applied IT A level but from what i heard it is boring. I have done GCSE ICT and i have found it hard to even stay awake during lessons and applied IT seems to me rather similar to GCSE ICT. I do not want to annotate millions of evidence methods of usig database nor do i want to evaluate every single detail of my process. I really would have rather done computing it seems more of a course i would enjoy.

I honestly do not know what to do. Is it too late to apply for another college that offers computing or is Applied IT not that bad? A part of me keeps telling that to stick with what i already know because i know what's expected for applied IT whereas Computing is a whole new course which i have never done. But then again i doubt i will be able to be motivated as i would for computing. Someone please help me, what do you consider i should do and if so what are your experiences of those two courses.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't need any ICT/Computing qualification to do Computing as a degree. To keep your options open do Maths.
    No uni has Computing/ICT as a requirement for a Computing degree but a lot do ask for Maths.
    Have you looked closely at the Applied ICT syllabus? Some of them do have a programming unit.

If you are really interested in Computing you should be able to teach yourself programming using the web. There are lots of free languages available along with tutorials.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i do applied IT, it is so boring, your right, it is like OCR science we did in YR10-11, more like analysing stuff,
    i was expecting to learn more computing skills that sort of thing, didnt know it's like this, but never mind i've picked it already and so regret,
    it shouldn't be too late if you are really interested in computing, the first few month they only teach basic stuff you might know anyway(although i found maths proper hard!!!)

maybe maths is essential because it's like, idk, logical? i'm sure computing needs logical thinking, well most high payed jobs do, it does train your brain somehow
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieOmighty)
    i do applied IT, it is so boring, your right, it is like OCR science we did in YR10-11, more like analysing stuff,
    i was expecting to learn more computing skills that sort of thing, didnt know it's like this, but never mind i've picked it already and so regret,
    it shouldn't be too late if you are really interested in computing, the first few month they only teach basic stuff you might know anyway(although i found maths proper hard!!!)

maybe maths is essential because it's like, idk, logical? i'm sure computing needs logical thinking, well most high payed jobs do, it does train your brain somehow
    Its certainly better than business and I did that for three years .

IT isn't as boring as you think, yes sometimes you proably have to take screenshots on using a database but at least its better spending 1 year researching on a random business called Mott MacDonald and talk about their stupid business ethnics.

IT was more variety, like web design, researching on computer hardware and maybe programming.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vibenation)
    Its certainly better than business and I did that for three years .

IT isn't as boring as you think, yes sometimes you proably have to take screenshots on using a database but at least its better spending 1 year researching on a random business called Mott MacDonald and talk about their stupid business ethnics.

IT was more variety, like web design, researching on computer hardware and maybe programming.
    Isn't that boring after all, but if I knew its going to be like this I'd rather choose physics because most of the stuff we knew already, even if you don't you can probably learn it online in a month.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieOmighty)
    Isn't that boring after all, but if I knew its going to be like this I'd rather choose physics because most of the stuff we knew already, even if you don't you can probably learn it online in a month.
    Yeah that why its good to research before you do something. I feel sorry for people who study this in university though. Too many people do IT/Computing as a degree.

Most of the stuff could have done in less than a month. I remember nearly failing an assignment even though I had 2 months to do it. It took me 1 day (overnight) to complete it all from scratch.

I know a friend who hated IT and decided to change it to History after the first year. Do what you enjoy is what I say.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.