Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is AQA A-Level ICT a good course?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between taking AQA ICT and AQA Computing at college. Can someone share their experiences with AQA ICT? I've heard Computing gets very difficult and boring in A2 but I've heard nothing about ICT.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazwaz7)
    I'm torn between taking AQA ICT and AQA Computing at college. Can someone share their experiences with AQA ICT? I've heard Computing gets very difficult and boring in A2 but I've heard nothing about ICT.
    People like different things and have different abilities. You need to look closely at the syllabuses.

I know quite a few of people who do/have done both ICT and Computing. More of them have preferred Computing.

What other subjects are you planning on doing? If you doing Maths, Physics, etc. then Computing is probably a better option as it is more like those subjects.
    ICT goes better with Business Studies and essay writing subjects.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sagederby)
    People like different things and have different abilities. You need to look closely at the syllabuses.

I know quite a few of people who do/have done both ICT and Computing. More of them have preferred Computing.

What other subjects are you planning on doing? If you doing Maths, Physics, etc. then Computing is probably a better option as it is more like those subjects.
    ICT goes better with Business Studies and essay writing subjects.
    I'm not entirely sure but my plan is to do Spanish, Biology, ICT or Computing, and maybe Business BTEC.

Biology and Business BTEC may change but never to Physics or Maths. But I'm also trying to (but failing to) avoid essays!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Computing is preferred by unis. Though neither are look at as strong subjects.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you want to go down a computer-based career path you may want to consider Maths.

Many employers of IT professionals suggest that lots of the candidates to positions in IT either had the computing skills but lacked the Maths skills and vice versa.

Computers are all about numbers. It'd be foolish of you to do computing without Maths if you ask me.

Oh and for AQA Computing, the second yr has a 40%-coursework project based element. You have to build a computer system and do an implementation of 100-200 pages long. So if you're trying to avoid writing this is one of the worst subjects lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    Also, if you want to go down a computer-based career path you may want to consider Maths.

Many employers of IT professionals suggest that lots of the candidates to positions in IT either had the computing skills but lacked the Maths skills and vice versa.

Computers are all about numbers. It'd be foolish of you to do computing without Maths if you ask me.

Oh and for AQA Computing, the second yr has a 40%-coursework project based element. You have to build a computer system and do an implementation of 100-200 pages long. So if you're trying to avoid writing this is one of the worst subjects lol
    Well I'm not particularly looking for a career in IT — I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet. I enjoyed doing Computing at GCSE so I thought it'd be nice to take it a bit further.

So it seems like both ICT and Computing have a lot of writing in... Aah well! But if you think that I'd really need to do Maths if I were to do Computing then I suppose I should do ICT instead. I was beginning to lean towards ICT anyway because the write up for it on my local college's website makes it sound so much more interesting lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.