Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I might have to drop out of university, but I've already signed the lease to my house

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically that.

I might have to drop out because I didn't do well enough in exams. I only passed 1 of my 6 exams. I got between 33 and 36 on the other 5, and you need to pass 2 exams with a mark above 40 to progress to 2nd year. It's annoying because if instead of getting 35 and 35, I'd gotten 40 and 30, I wouldn't be in this problem at all.

I've signed the lease to my house for next year. I've got enough set aside to pay for my summer rent, but my next payment of £1115 goes in a few days after I get my student loan in October.

If the university doesn't allow me to re-sit my exams, or re-sit the year, I'm going to have to come up with this money and I have no idea where it's going to come from.

Right now I just don't know what to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarus_xx)
    Basically that.

I might have to drop out because I didn't do well enough in exams. I only passed 1 of my 6 exams. I got between 33 and 36 on the other 5, and you need to pass 2 exams with a mark above 40 to progress to 2nd year. It's annoying because if instead of getting 35 and 35, I'd gotten 40 and 30, I wouldn't be in this problem at all.

I've signed the lease to my house for next year. I've got enough set aside to pay for my summer rent, but my next payment of £1115 goes in a few days after I get my student loan in October.

If the university doesn't allow me to re-sit my exams, or re-sit the year, I'm going to have to come up with this money and I have no idea where it's going to come from.

Right now I just don't know what to do.
    You should be able to re sit in the summer though surely? I think you will have to find out in your uni handbook/website about progressing onto second year and if you can re-sit. If you did that badly then you will have to ask yourself if uni is for you. It is only going to get harder from here. Good luck
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to read the contract you signed carefully. You may be able to get out of it as long as you find a replacement tenant
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarus_xx)
    Basically that.
    I got between 33 and 36 on the other 5, and you need to pass 2 exams with a mark above 40 to progress to 2nd year. It's annoying because if instead of getting 35 and 35, I'd gotten 40 and 30, I wouldn't be in this problem at all.
    Jesus christ, did you let a chimp sit them for you?!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, although it's now completely irrelevant: you signed a contract for a house for a year and ended up failing 5/6 exams. I can only ask how? To mess up that badly on the vast majority of your course you must have done absolutely nothing for the entire year. And if you tried and still got that, then maybe this is a blessing in disguise, and you can pursue a career/course more suited to you. I would question the point of staying for another two years if in the first you had such a ruinous time.

Anyway, the landlord or landlady is the loser in this situation too. They'll know you're unlikely to come up with the money if you've failed, and they won't be the first or last landholder to be in this position, and you won't be the first student. I'm entirely sure if you spoke to them, and explained your situation, you could agree to a mutual termination of the contract.

I'd speak to the Uni first though, and see what you can do. Or just pack it in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your estate agency and explain the situation. They might try to help you find a replacement by advertising the house on their site, but it's really up to you - put advertisements up around your campus/in the Union and most importantly advertise online on room-finding sites. Use Gumtree, spareroom, easyroommate, roombuddies... and so on.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.