Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working a night shift

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 96 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

On Saturday night (7 pm to 7 am) I will be doing my first night shift. Given that I finished my working week today, what do people tend to do in preparation? Some people seem to get up as normal, and then have a kip a few hours before going into work. After the shift they recover in bed till about 2 pm.

Any advice?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different. When I'm on nights I tend to sleep until about two to three in the afternoon, then get up and potter about doing stuff I'd do on the evening. Have a large meal and then go to work. In the morning after my shift I usually go straight to bed, especially if I'm in again the following night. I find that works for me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never done a night shift, but I'd stay up later than usual the night before so I'm later, have a strong coffee before starting and keep busy, no stress.
    • 96 followers

ReputationRep:
    My thinking is to sleep now, get up early (9ish), run, sleep from 4-6, get up, go to work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i used to wake up at 5pm, do 10pm - 8am and straight to bed when i got in.. but i had to do other things in the evening.. ideal is getting the latest you can but be on time to work and go to bed a few hours after you get in
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    My thinking is to sleep now, get up early (9ish), run, sleep from 4-6, get up, go to work.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I could never get up that early.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    tip: buy some thick curtains to block out all the light!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Everyone is different. When I'm on nights I tend to sleep until about two to three in the afternoon, then get up and potter about doing stuff I'd do on the evening. Have a large meal and then go to work. In the morning after my shift I usually go straight to bed, especially if I'm in again the following night. I find that works for me.
    That's what I used to do as well - I would be working until anywhere up to 3am. When I got home I'd go straight to bed, and get up ~8 hours later. When I got up I'd get ready, do housekeeping / admin / other stuff around the house, and then go to work. As work often started as early as 1pm, there wasn't really enough time to start going out shopping etc., so that was left for days off.

IME, however, it's far worse when they change you from nights to early mornings (6am in my case) with only a day inbetween to adjust - I managed to fall asleep whilst leaning (standing up) against a wall once when they did that!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to work 10pm-6am. I'd go to bed when I got in from work til 12, then have breakfast/go online/watch stuff til 2, then sleep again til about 6pm, have dinner and go to work. I was lucky, I had no problems sleeping in the daylight! Some people I work with do though, depends on the person. I can sleep through anything!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 23, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.