Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

T06 - Budget Regulation Pact

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Preamble:
    In an age of austerity, the MHoC believes that the EU can not justify any significant increase in the EU budget. We believe that the EU budget should be frozen for five years and during any financial year and subsequent three to five years depending on the time required for a recovery to occur. This pact also enshrines increases in the EU budget to be limited to the rate of inflation or less.

T06 - Budget Regulation Pact

Article 1: The budget of the EU from the financial year 2013/ 4 to 2017/ 8

1.1. The budget of the EU shall not rise from the amount designated for the financial year 2012/ 3 between the financial years 2013/ 4 and 2017/ 8.

Article 2: The budget of the EU after the financial year 2017/ 8

2.1. After the financial year 2017/ 8, the budget of the EU may rise in accordance with the average rate of inflation across the EU as a maximum.

Article 3: Exemptions to the increase in budget

3.1. The EU budget may not be increased from the previous financial year if the EU is deemed to have been in recession.
    3.2. A recession is defined as two quarters of negative growth in the EU with each quarter’s growth being calculated as an average of the growth rates of the EU member states.
    3.3. In cases where the second quarter of negative growth occurs in the first quarter of a new financial year when the budget of the EU for the new financial year has been agreed, the budget of the next financial year shall not rise.
    3.4. After a recession has been declared for the EU using the definition in article 3.2., the budget of the EU may not rise for the subsequent three financial years after the recession has been declared over.

Article 4: Commencement, Short Title and Extent

4.1 This Pact may be cited as the EU budget regulation Pact
    4.2. This Pact shall extend to the European Union; and
    4.3. Shall come into force on the 1st April 2013 following ratification by the national Parliament of each member state.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    The budget should be adjusted as needed although not excessively to the point that they are spending too much.

I am against this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with TehFrance on this. We should not be implementing arbitary rules for years to come, without knowing what spending needs will be like in the future.

In any case this is purely symbolic, as only four out of 27 EU countries have ratified this (excluding the MHoC for the moment).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if someone joins (Croatia) or leaves (Greece maybe).

Can you honestly see the French ratifying this, when they have some time in between domestic disharmony in the Elysee Palace?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a product of the MUN's dysfunction. It wouldn't have been passed had relevant member states been present. Meh, I'm abstaining.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    This is a product of the MUN's dysfunction. It wouldn't have been passed had relevant member states been present. Meh, I'm abstaining.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I agree with you on the point that more EU member states (especially France, Germany, Spain and Italy) need to get involved.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    What if someone joins (Croatia) or leaves (Greece maybe).

Can you honestly see the French ratifying this, when they have some time in between domestic disharmony in the Elysee Palace?
    A pact doesn't need to be ratified by all EU member states only those that have signed it.

(Original post by stanlas)
    I agree with TehFrance on this. We should not be implementing arbitary rules for years to come, without knowing what spending needs will be like in the future.

In any case this is purely symbolic, as only four out of 27 EU countries have ratified this (excluding the MHoC for the moment).
    It is symbolic, but will put pressure on those drafting the budget to listen to our concerns.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer to see the EU budget increase by not more than the average increase in spending of the member states, but I suppose this will have to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel that the bill looks too deep into the future and thus i have to say that i would oppose this bill
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Division!!
Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.