Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

More economic to take the bus then get a car!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's me £4.30 a day to go on the bus with unlimited time for the whole day. At the moment petrol is £1.33 per litre in my local area. I use the bus to communte 18.9 miles a day back and forward this would cost me £4.70 a saving of 40p a day £2.80p plus that using stardard vechile type on google map but if used high consumption which most student have as they cant afford stardard type then it will £7.50 a day

so how can you justify a car?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markread45)
    It's me £4.30 a day to go on the bus with unlimited time for the whole day. At the moment petrol is £1.33 per litre in my local area. I use the bus to communte 18.9 miles a day back and forward this would cost me £4.70 a saving of 40p a day £2.80p plus that using stardard vechile type on google map but if used high consumption which most student have as they cant afford stardard type then it will £7.50 a day

You can't really, and it's not just about the cost, using a bus is more Eco friendly because if everyone in the bus drove a car then there would be more pollution etc, so using a bus for that many people would be more sufficient
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I rather no put money into the bank of car.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You cant put your shopping or just drive at leisure without a car. So many that extra little bit worth is worth it. And if you drive itll bring your insurance premium down so when you do buy a car when your no longer a student itll cheaper for you so ull redeem some of that money lost anyway
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't think anyone disputes that buses are cheaper, do they? Cars are simply more convenient.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyones personal circumstances are different, for some people it is financially better to just use public transport, for others its better to use a car.

Probably for a lot of people that are young and don't have families, or people that work in a city centre and live reasonably nearby (especially London) then financially it makes sense not to have a car, but some people will want one just because they value the personal independence of a car and so are willing to pay for it. Also some people are interested in cars and motoring so they just like to have a car because they enjoy it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where I live it costs £4.90 for a single on a four mile trip! Way cheaper to take the car, which is a great shame
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the university I was going to would let first years have cars I would take one, because the price for me isn't worth standing in the rain for 3 hours waiting for a bus, or paying a fiver for a 3 minute trip. Also I'm not used to getting the bus, because there isn't a stop anywhere near me...

Plus driving is really fun
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Buses are every two hours where I live and stop running at 6PM, it's a lot easier for me to use a car.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the distance and car itself.

My car (well, my mum's, which I probably drive more than her ) is diesel, so around £1.35 per litre. Yet it averages 50 miles to the gallon, which means my 8 mile trip to and from college comes out at just under a pound, which is the cost of my bus. If I drive I can leave and arrive when I want, which is ideal as now I'm just going in for exams and my lessons were always skewed across the day.

Same with a trip to town. For two people on the bus from my area it would cost about £7 return. In parking and petrol it would be under £5 (for up to 4 hours), plus you can dump your shopping at will.

This is not to mention places you simply can't get to by bus. So yes, busses are more eco-friendly, and sometimes cheaper, but there's a reason so many people prefer cars. Do you drive yourself OP?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I don't think anyone disputes that buses are cheaper, do they? Cars are simply more convenient.
    Between my house and my college, the bus company have added another fair stage. This means that it's £2 (instead of the £1.20 it used to be) each way for a 2 mile journey At least it's the summer so I walk most of the time, but it has rained a few times.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Public transport is horrible and too expensive for what you get. There, car ownership is justified.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are under 18 in London buses are free. So no contest.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be justified? If they can afford the extra expense of a car then it is their money to spend as they like.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me, justifying having a car is easy: if I want to go anywhere I have to wait for one of 4 buses a day which go into town. If I need to be in town for a time which isn't convenient to them then I have to go in super early. I can't use them for work because the first one doesn't get in til after 9. Basically, public transport is useless as soon as you get vaguely out of the city centre.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well because I'm not in uni yet I have to pay the stupid rate of 9/10 pound for a regular return journey 20 miles.

Of which a car journey on petrol would be 5 pound at the most (in my old car which was only 1.25 litre)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buses are themselves a huge rip-off. In Southampton, it is much cheaper, quicker, more comfortable and more convenient to take the train into town or to outlying settlements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Depends on your area, with buses in my area having fares set by areas rather than based on actual journey length it can cost up to £3 a mile for a single. They also refuse to give return tickets now (have done for last three years) meaning you have to get a more expensive day ticket. It would be very economical if you were making multiple return trips in the day, but to just go from A-B-A its a rip off.

Of course you can add in cost of purchase of car/insurance/repairs. But living in the UK (with its current transport system), at some point in your life you are probably going to need a car, so in my mind you may as well start getting your premiums down (its only going to get cheaper with age).

(Original post by DaveDavids)
    Thus a lot of personal time is lost, your personal time has value more than any amount of money.
    This is definitely an important factor for me. Yes I might save £1.50 on a journey, but if I have to wait 2 hours at a bus stop to do so, is it really worth it? Time is money as they say.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well lost of places aren't well served by bus routes but a car can get you anywhere.

Also buses can be very unreliable, services get cancelled or are late, drivers go on strike. They can also be very slow, so if you need to make sure you're somewhere on time a car might be better.

Also if you have small children a car is pretty much a necessity, and for a full weekly family shop you simply couldn't carry all the stuff on the bus. Or not easily anyway.

So if you lived in a rural area of have a young family having a car makes perfect sense, but if you are young and single living in an urban area then it doesn't make that much sense no.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

You don't have to listen to chavs with their ghetto music blasting when you have a car.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.