Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do only 3 A levels or carry on with 4?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm just starting my A2s and I'm at the stage where I have to decide which subjects to carry on with. At the moment, I'm doing Politics, Economics, History and Spanish but I'm a bit worried the workload may be too much, and I've heard lots of advice telling me to focus on three. But the thing is which ones do I do? Ideally I'd like to do 4, but if the workload is too much I'd rather drop one. I'm definitely doing Politics and Economics but the other two I'm unsure about. History is my favourite subject and we're learning about Germany 1900-45 which is really fascinating but because it's a hard subject I may not get an A (what I'm aiming for). However I have a good chance of getting an A-A* in Spanish but I don't really enjoy the subject.

What would you do if you were me?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I thought you HAD to drop a subject at A2 anyway? Where I go, it's 4 AS levels, then you drop one for the 2nd year. I'm not sure if that's compulsory but maybe you could check it out.

However, I'd say it depends on the entry requirements for whatever you hope to do at uni (if you're going). E.G, if you were to do a degree in Law, most if not all universities don't require specific subjects, only specific grades; with the exception of General Studies, most don't accept that. So if the entry requirements for what you want to do, are AAA, if I were you I'd pick something I was confident I could get an A in. But if you think you can get an A in History by working your backside off, then go for it! Also, I always find it easier to do well in subjects that I enjoy, it means I don't have to constantly find some inspiration or motivation, because it's already there for me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Drop Spanish. The only reason you should do 4 is that you love all 4 equally, there is little to no benefit in carrying on with all of them.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try doing all 4 at first at A2 and then choose which, if any, to drop.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.