Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

A2 English Literature/Language - Shakespeare King Lear

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just started studying King Lear but finding it really difficult to understand. Could anyone please explain what these quotes mean?

'Meantime we shall express our darker purpose'

'Come not between the dragon and his wrath'

'Let not women's weapons, water-drops,
    Stain my man's cheeks!'

'O! Let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven;
    Keep me in temper; I would not be mad!'

'As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
    They kill us for their sport'

Also does anyone know if there are any good revision guides for King Lear?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please save yourself and buy the Heinemann Advanced Shakespeare: "King Lear" [Paperback]

Part of the "Heinemann Advanced Shakespeare" series, this version of "King Lear" aims to help A Level students understand the text and develop their own insights. It includes notes to bridge the gap between GCSE and A Level, space for students' own annotations, and activities and assignments

Reviews: I bought this for my A level English Literature classes. It is an amazing book. On each double page spread it has one side of shakespearean words and an overview of the page and the other side is the actual text.
    It is helping me a great deal with my Alevel and I deffinately recommend this.

See more at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heinemann-Ad...0462046&sr=8-1

It contains quotes, activities, questions, themes, sample essays. And as the review states on one side of the page is words/phrases and their literal meaning with an overview and on the other side the actual text. The text is about 260 pages, the rest is stuff designed to help you develop your understanding of the text as a whole.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.