The Student Room Group

Correction Is Needed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lex25288
The first one however is 'we ate', NOT 'we eat'!

You are just being an idiot now. You know rightly both are could be said, it's exactly the same scenario as saying "would you rather we went there first" or "would you rather we go there first" - both make perfect sense. However, I reckon "eat" is more correct (and I'd love to see proof to the contrary) as in the example you are highlighting; "ate" is the past tense, why would you use it when talking about the present? therefore eat is more technically correct in my opinion.
Reply 41
Original post by rocket0612
You are just being an idiot now. You know rightly both are could be said, it's exactly the same scenario as saying "would you rather we went there first" or "would you rather we go there first" - both make perfect sense. However, I reckon "eat" is more correct (and I'd love to see proof to the contrary) as in the example you are highlighting; "ate" is the past tense, why would you use it when talking about the present? therefore eat is more technically correct in my opinion.

"They can be both said" doesn't mean that they are both correct.
Before I forget, thanks for stooping to such a low level with the name calling by the way. I really appreciated the finesse. :wink:
I guess you've never heard of wish/would rather structures then?
The same rules which apply to a conditional type structure with the verb "to wish" also apply to a structure with the alternative conditional form of the verb "to prefer" (i.e. "would rather").
In such structures, the tense of the verb of the clause following the wish/would rather clause must be the past simple, unless the subjects of both clauses coincide, in which case, if and only if the verb of the preceding clause is not "to wish", then the subject of the second clause is omitted and the base form of its verb is used.

E.g.
I would rather go to the cinema instead of going to the theatre.
I would rather you just kept quiet.

I wish you counted to ten before uttering any word.
I wish I didn't have to put up with this.

Pick up a grammar book if you don't believe me!
(edited 11 years ago)
You r now just continuing it for dome idiotic reason ... Just accept what i have said is true, draw a line and move on, just as i accepted u what u said had substance .. Amen.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 43
You r now just continuing it for dome idiotic reason ... Just accept what i have said is true, draw a line and move on, just as i accepted u what u said had substance .. Amen.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Continuing means doing something more than once, since I proved my point only that one time I don't see how I was continuing to do that earlier (though I am now).
Has anyone ever told you you have a funny way of admitting defeat?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Much appreciated for all of you! I am very proud of those who did make comments on my thread. We do learn from mistakes, so no problem if one of us did mistakes since we are here just to seek knowledge. May God bless you all! Again thank you all!

Here you go

A.
"The international community failed to provide the necessary protection to many people who were killed at the time when they needed our support," Ban said, surrounded by relatives of the victims of Srebrenica. "We have to do all [that we can] to protect civilians, to prevent and to stop bloodshed, particularly in Syria now."
Why does the writer use a bracket right here?

B.
"The international community must be united not to see any further bloodshed in Syria because I do not want to see any of my successors, after 20 years, visiting Syria apologizing for what we could have done now to protect the civilians in Syria -- which we are not doing now."
Which tense is this?

c.
The U.N.'s peacekeeping chief, Hervé Ladsous, announced in Damascus yesterday that the U.N. had already sent half of the U.N.'s 300 observers in Syria home for the "time being."
The meaning of "time being"

D.
But with the violence worsening, their withdrawal appeared to be the first stage in the ultimate shut down of the U.N. mission in Syria. And the death toll in Syria seems all but certain to rise.
What does this expression mean?
E.
In the car, on the way home, I listened as the morning news radio covered the tragedy.
Do we call this kind of tense a sequence or what?

E.

A young man entered a movie theater, shooting and killing many in attendance. It was premeditated. He has psychological problems. And experts predict that this might hurt how the latest “Batman” sequel will do in the box office.
Why do we have "–ing" attached to Verbs; shoot and kill?

F.
Every media outlet out there was covering this event and new details came to light, because if they did not, you might change the channel.
Which conditional is this?

G.

Vision brings optimism and direction; it is the North Star which guides the efforts that actually bring our dream to life.
What does "the North Star" imply?
Reply 45
Original post by Odessa
Much appreciated for all of you! I am very proud of those who did make comments on my thread. We do learn from mistakes, so no problem if one of us did mistakes since we are here just to seek knowledge. May God bless you all! Again thank you all!

Here you go

A.
"The international community failed to provide the necessary protection to many people who were killed at the time when they needed our support," Ban said, surrounded by relatives of the victims of Srebrenica. "We have to do all [that we can] to protect civilians, to prevent and to stop bloodshed, particularly in Syria now."
Why does the writer use a bracket right here?

B.
"The international community must be united not to see any further bloodshed in Syria because I do not want to see any of my successors, after 20 years, visiting Syria apologizing for what we could have done now to protect the civilians in Syria -- which we are not doing now."
Which tense is this?

c.
The U.N.'s peacekeeping chief, Hervé Ladsous, announced in Damascus yesterday that the U.N. had already sent half of the U.N.'s 300 observers in Syria home for the "time being."
The meaning of "time being"

D.
But with the violence worsening, their withdrawal appeared to be the first stage in the ultimate shut down of the U.N. mission in Syria. And the death toll in Syria seems all but certain to rise.
What does this expression mean?

What expression?

E.
In the car, on the way home, I listened as the morning news radio covered the tragedy.
Do we call this kind of tense a sequence or what?

Both verbs are using the past simple. As for the "sequence", the word you may be looking for is compound clause.

E.

A young man entered a movie theater, shooting and killing many in attendance. It was premeditated. He has psychological problems. And experts predict that this might hurt how the latest “Batman” sequel will do in the box office.
Why do we have "–ing" attached to Verbs; shoot and kill?

You just do, sorry I don't really know how to explain this one. You should probably ask someone who speaks your own language to try and explain this one to you.

F.
Every media outlet out there was covering this event and new details came to light, because if they did not, you might change the channel.
Which conditional is this?

Simple conditional.

G.

Vision brings optimism and direction; it is the North Star which guides the efforts that actually bring our dream to life.
What does "the North Star" imply?

A. Your question should be rephrased as follows: Does the writer use the right type of brackets?
The answer is no.
These brackets [ ] contain a a set of words (not necessarily a sentence) that the reader could easily do without and whose content is only meant to clarify the meaning conveyed by the writer.

In other words, you should be able to make sense of what you read both with and without what's in the brackets.
Since this is not the case here, the answer is no.

"We have to do all to protect..." just sounds weird to me without the "that we can" part.

B.
I don't really know why you also highlighted "now" in bold, since it's not relevant to the question.
Anyway the tense is the Conditional Perfect.

C.
"At this moment in time"

D.
It doesn't imply anything. It's the most prominent amongst all stars, also known as Pole Star. In some cultures people used to to look at it during the night to tell where they were going ('cause it pointed towards north).

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
D.

What does the following expression mean?

"seems all but certain to rise"
Reply 47
"All for one and one for all"
what does that mean?
Reply 48
Original post by Odessa
D.

What does the following expression mean?

"seems all but certain to rise"

Original post by Odessa
"All for one and one for all"
what does that mean?

The first is used to express the opposite.
For instance: "I'm all but tired" ----> "I am not tired" or "I've still got a ton energy left in me."

The second one means the same as: "United we stand", I don't know if you are familiar with the phrase.

Reply 49
Original post by lex25288
A. Your question should be rephrased as follows: Does the writer use the right type of brackets?
The answer is no.
These brackets [ ] contain a a set of words (not necessarily a sentence) that the reader could easily do without and whose content is only meant to clarify the meaning conveyed by the writer.

In other words, you should be able to make sense of what you read both with and without what's in the brackets.
Since this is not the case here, the answer is no.

"We have to do all to protect..." just sounds weird to me without the "that we can" part.

Actually I think in this case it might be a quote.

OP, when you make a direct quote from someone and add something in to the quote that they didn't say, you use square brackets around this part.

For example, if I said "I really like John. He is a kind person." someone could quote me as follows:

"[John] is a kind person."

This lets you quote the relevant part without having to quote additional sentences just for it to make sense. It is used a lot with names, as in my example.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Leadership is a trait. Some are born with it, while others acquire it over the years. One cannot force leadership or invent it.

"One cannot force leadership or invent it."

The point is this; Does the writer here mean that the mind comes first not brutality? Also, support your argument with a saying or a verse from the Holy Bible. Thanks in advance!
Reply 51
One is allowed to express an opinion, yet in some contexts it’s better and wiser to shut up.

What do " contexts" mean right here?

Note: I am so sorry for conveying the end of the sentence "to shut up" since it hurts
Reply 52
Original post by Odessa
One is allowed to express an opinion, yet in some contexts it’s better and wiser to shut up.

What do " contexts" mean right here?

Note: I am so sorry for conveying the end of the sentence "to shut up" since it hurts

'In some situations', or 'In some circumstances'.

Xxx

Reply 53
Similarly, when the London School of Economics made up its funds by taking money from the Gaddafi crime family.

Why did Nick Cohen ,a columnist for the Observer and New Statesman, put two nouns "crime family" after each other? Does not English Grammar say that noun is described by adjective. I think it must be in this way; criminal family.

Please correct me if I were mistaken. Also, how about "Please correct me if I were mistaken." does it make sense
Reply 54
Original post by kpwxx
'In some situations', or 'In some circumstances'.

Xxx

Thank you w/ all my heart!
Reply 55
Netanyahu was the one who broke the cycle of silence. He turned the Iranian issue into a banner.

"To turn something into a banner" means what
Reply 56
It was such a unifying experience for me that for the first time in my life, I felt at home among my people—an orphan surrounded by an orphan nation—waiting to be rescued from our pain by a larger-than-life person called Moshiach! Joy amidst the sorrow!

"a larger-than-life person" means……………..
Reply 57
Original post by Odessa

Please correct me if I were mistaken. Also, how about "Please correct me if I were mistaken." does it make sense

I would write "Please correct me if I am mistaken" and that's the most common use of the phrase.

Original post by Odessa
It was such a unifying experience for me that for the first time in my life, I felt at home among my people—an orphan surrounded by an orphan nation—waiting to be rescued from our pain by a larger-than-life person called Moshiach! Joy amidst the sorrow!

It is a term used to describe someone who's really loud, outgoing, bubbly, optimistic, eccentric, energetic etc.

Xxx

Reply 58
Original post by Odessa
Why did Nick Cohen ,a columnist for the Observer and New Statesman, put two nouns "crime family" after each other? Does not English Grammar say that noun is described by adjective. I think it must be in this way; criminal family.

A 'crime family' is a term that can be used to describe a group involved in organised crimes (like a mafia).

Original post by Odessa

I think it's "Please correct me if I am mistaken"

Original post by Odessa

It's a saying used to describe someone who is either very outgoing and full of energy, or someone who has done many great things in their life.

Basically it's someone who is greater, in some respects, than the 'ordinary' person :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Odessa
Netanyahu was the one who broke the cycle of silence. He turned the Iranian issue into a banner.

"To turn something into a banner" means what

"To turn something into a banner" means...........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending