The Student Room Group

Correction Is Needed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
‘But two-thirds of Angolans live in slums and poverty. The minibus taxis taking people to work are owned in their hundreds by top politicians.

In other words, top politicians possess hundreds of the minibus taxis, is not it?
Reply 101
‘It’s a fashion choice, and besides it gets very dusty in this city,’ he tells me. ‘We’ve had our long war, we still have many people who are hungry and poor, we have suffered. Now people like me with good jobs feel it’s time to treat ourselves.’

"to treat ourselves" means..............
Original post by Odessa
"accommodation" is plural.

Accommodation is singular.

Original post by Odessa
"He is paying to go to work."

Does it mean that he bribes others for the sake of getting a job?

It's really an exaggeration to highlight the fact the low paid worker spends a huge amount of money to get to work which erodes the already low salary.

Original post by Odessa
I know the meaning of unemployment. However, why "of the masses" has been added?

To highlight huge unemployment, "mass unemployment" would be more commonly used instead.

Original post by Odessa
‘But two-thirds of Angolans live in slums and poverty. The minibus taxis taking people to work are owned in their hundreds by top politicians.

In other words, top politicians possess hundreds of the minibus taxis, is not it?

yes, probably to highlight the fact the politicians are profiting from it.

Original post by Odessa
‘It’s a fashion choice, and besides it gets very dusty in this city,’ he tells me. ‘We’ve had our long war, we still have many people who are hungry and poor, we have suffered. Now people like me with good jobs feel it’s time to treat ourselves.’

"to treat ourselves" means..............

To give pleasure by doing something like treating yourself to a new car, treat oneself to a holiday, etc
Reply 103
Original post by rocket0612

It's really an exaggeration to highlight the fact the low paid worker spends a huge amount of money to get to work which erodes the already low salary.

To highlight huge unemployment, "mass unemployment" would be more commonly used instead.

yes, probably to highlight the fact the politicians are profiting from it.

To give pleasure by doing something like treating yourself to a new car, treat oneself to a holiday, etc

Great! Thanks a lot!
Reply 104
After the Arab awakening and the subsequent changes the whole region is undergoing, Israel is still David, surrounded by forces which are not only are committed to fight it but are acquiring the necessary capabilities and manpower to do so. Goliath is today less visible and no longer protected by armor and a shield, and he may not be as tall as imagined, but he remains just as deadly and dangerous to the Jewish State. This new security paradigm requires original strategic thinking and the innovative spirit and faith that enabled David to beat Goliath with five stones and a sling shot.

From the context, what does the writer hear mean by the following names "David" & "Goliath"? Thanks in advance!
Reply 105

Original post by Odessa
Offices and accommodation are in short supply and the expats are overloading the city with their demands.

Do not we need a parallel right here since "offices" are plural?

Have a look please! http://nhd.heinle.com/Definition.aspx?word=accommodation
Original post by Odessa
After the Arab awakening and the subsequent changes the whole region is undergoing, Israel is still David, surrounded by forces which are not only are committed to fight it but are acquiring the necessary capabilities and manpower to do so. Goliath is today less visible and no longer protected by armor and a shield, and he may not be as tall as imagined, but he remains just as deadly and dangerous to the Jewish State. This new security paradigm requires original strategic thinking and the innovative spirit and faith that enabled David to beat Goliath with five stones and a sling shot.

From the context, what does the writer hear mean by the following names "David" & "Goliath"? Thanks in advance!

David & Goliath is a biblical story of brothers fighting, do a search & u will get the story.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Original post by Odessa
Do not we need a parallel right here since "offices" are plural?

Have a look please! http://nhd.heinle.com/Definition.aspx?word=accommodation

I see ur thinking, but take the word accomodation as meaning "a place to stay" and the sentence makes perfect sense.

Reply 108
I see ur thinking, but take the word accomodation as meaning "a place to stay" and the sentence makes perfect sense.

Much appreciated!
Reply 109
David & Goliath is a biblical story of brothers fighting, do a search & u will get the story.

Great! May God bless you!
Reply 110
In essence, we agree to allow our country to succumb to a hostile takeover while we act like the three proverbial monkeys -- hearing no evil, seeing no evil, and speaking no evil, while we sit on our tolerant backsides.

What do we mean by "the three proverbial monkeys"? Please, make it clear.
Reply 111
We either take the credit or pass up the opportunity.

A paraphrase is needed. thanks in advance!
Reply 112
“But tragic death toll aside, the facts are few: it's not clear who ordered the killings or why… stories are never black and white often shades of grey.

" stories are never black and white often shades of grey" means.............
Reply 113
Literature preserve record of the thoughts, dreams and deeds of the people of a given culture & society. In spite of a perhaps vast time and distance from our own place in those two dimensions, literature helps us to know that human nature is stacked in a regularity that is comforting. From it we learn the boundaries of what others have been able to endure.

What does the word it refer to?

a.regularity b. human c. literature d. nature

I have been told that the best choice is "c". The problem is this: I couldn’t have answered this question if I had not told.

Please a rule is needed! Thanks in advance!
Reply 114
Original post by Odessa
In essence, we agree to allow our country to succumb to a hostile takeover while we act like the three proverbial monkeys -- hearing no evil, seeing no evil, and speaking no evil, while we sit on our tolerant backsides.

What do we mean by "the three proverbial monkeys"? Please, make it clear.

This is a common image based on the principal "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". There's a lot more info on it here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

It's used a lot in culture, in things like films, clothing, literature etc

Original post by Odessa
We either take the credit or pass up the opportunity.

A paraphrase is needed. thanks in advance!

To 'take credit' for something means to tell people you caused something to happen, our allow them to think you caused something to happen. It's usually a positive thing that you've done that you would get 'credit' for. If it was a negative thing you'd use the word responsibility, though they really mean the same thing. Eg. I take credit for answering this question for you.

To pass something up means to decline an opportunity.

So a paraphrase for the whole sentence would be simply

"We either accept responsibility [for the act], or not."

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 115
Original post by kpwxx
This is a common image based on the principal "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". There's a lot more info on it here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

It's used a lot in culture, in things like films, clothing, literature etc

To 'take credit' for something means to tell people you caused something to happen, our allow them to think you caused something to happen. It's usually a positive thing that you've done that you would get 'credit' for. If it was a negative thing you'd use the word responsibility, though they really mean the same thing. Eg. I take credit for answering this question for you.

To pass something up means to decline an opportunity.

So a paraphrase for the whole sentence would be simply

"We either accept responsibility [for the act], or not."

posted from the TSR Android app

Excellent! Much appreciated!
Reply 116
Original post by Odessa
Literature preserve record of the thoughts, dreams and deeds of the people of a given culture & society. In spite of a perhaps vast time and distance from our own place in those two dimensions, literature helps us to know that human nature is stacked in a regularity that is comforting. From it we learn the boundaries of what others have been able to endure.

What does the word it refer to?

a.regularity b. human c. literature d. nature

I have been told that the best choice is "c". The problem is this: I couldn’t have answered this question if I had not told.

Please a rule is needed!
Thanks in advance!
Reply 117
“If you want an important person to stick around, you better give him a comfy chair.”
Paraphrase, please!
۩۩۩

Armed struggle cannot achieve its purported objective of overthrowing the regime without political support from all forces that are intent on regime change, including the Islamists of all hues.
………"of all hues" means……………..
۩۩۩

Obama was pandering to racists then, as he is despicably doing now. The difference now is that blood has been spilled in Wisconsin, and the time for this kind of cowardice ought to have passed.
"ought to have passed" which tense of passive is this?
۩۩۩

"Syria has turned Turkey's neighborhood policy on its head," said Sinan Ulgen, a former Turkish diplomat now at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Brussels.

"Syria has turned Turkey's neighborhood policy on its head," means………………..
"To urn something on someone's head" means………………
۩۩۩

Military defectors have set up bases of the Free Syrian Army in southern Turkey, and some are trained and coordinated by Turkish, Qatari and Saudi officers operating from a secret "nerve centre" near the city of Adana, Gulf sources have told Reuters.
……"nerve centre" means……………………..
۩۩۩

"They cannot and will not intervene militarily. All they can do is help on the edges, i.e. allow insurgents free passage, train them, help them organize politically," Barkey told Reuters. "Still this is more than what many others are doing."
…….."to help on the edge" means……………………..
۩۩۩

May God bless you all!
Reply 118
Original post by aliluvschoc
To "turn the tables against someone" This is an expression which I think you will have more difficulty understanding.

Let us say that you and I are playing cards. You put a good card down, so you are winning. I then put a better card down, and now I am winning. I have "turned the tables" against you. You could also say "Turned the tides against you"

It's not a proper sentence really, it's just an English saying.

edit: I've found where this saying comes from, it's from old games where you would play on a table. If you reverse your position, it's just like turning the table around, so you are in the winners position!

Thank you, aliluvschoc

Ayham Kamel of Eurasia Group believes the Iranians must be alarmed that the tide is running fast against al-Assad.
Reply 119
The last thing Iran wants is a Sunni-dominated Syria that abandons the "axis" -- especially as the rebels' main supporters are Iran's Persian Gulf rivals: Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

The last thing someone wants means s/he doesn't want that at all, is not it? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending