Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biology and Chemistry vs English Literature and History

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to choose Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and History to do at A level. I have always wanted to go down a science route because ever since a young age, I have been interested in Veterinary and Zoology (I definitely want to do something situated around animal science if it comes to it) However, I'm worried as although I'm okay at Science, I find it much more challenging than English Literature and History; I'd definitely say I'm more of an arts person as it appears to come naturally to me in comparison to Science. I do enjoy all 4 subjects, so that isn't an issue- is it better to follow the route you've always wanted and loved, or go with something you're much more confident with and still enjoy? The job prospects I'd consider for both English Literature and History also seem more limited in my opinion!

Thank you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try and find a compromise? You seem to like all four which is good and they all seem to leave a variety of routes open for you. I think you should just stick with your original options (which I am guessing is Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and History). + challenges are gooood! As long as you know you would enjoy them! I plan to do Bio, Chem, Maths and History. I love them all but believe History is going to be the challenge because of the workload etc. Still worth a try. Stick with your choices. I'm guessing you'll be able to change in the first couple weeks of sixth form/college if you decide one of your options are just not for you!

All the best with you results in August!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    History degrees are one of the most respected degrees out there, I did history, English literature, biology and economics at A-level and I'm going to uni to do human biology (grades permitted) so it's not exactly like your options are limited, if anything you've got more choice doing them subjects
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No degree will limit your options really, unless you have a burning desire to go into scientific research or something . Science A-Levels are much harder than GCSE though, I'll warn you!
    Honestly though, doing what you enjoy is the most important thing, so follow your heart!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 24, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.