Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop feels hot - Fan problem?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro C650. I've had it since the middle of 2010. When I use the laptop, the bottom of it becomes quite hot and I never feel cold air blow out from the side. I can hear what I think the fan to be coming on when I'm using the laptop (I hear a whirl sound) but never feel cold air being blown out. In fact when the whirl sound comes on, I start feeling hot air, and then it cools down a bit to a warm temp, but never cold.

Could dust have become trapped in the ventilator?

How can I fix this, or can I take it to a repair shop where they can fix it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD_114)
    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro C650. I've had it since the middle of 2010. When I use the laptop, the bottom of it becomes quite hot and I never feel cold air blow out from the side. I can hear what I think the fan to be coming on when I'm using the laptop (I hear a whirl sound) but never feel cold air being blown out. In fact when the whirl sound comes on, I start feeling hot air, and then it cools down a bit to a warm temp, but never cold.

The fan might have a lot of dust which means it can't work as well as it should.

If you're confident enough with laptops you can open up the laptop and clean the fan. The other option is to invest in a laptop cooler which does help (I use one myself).
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:

Yes, its dust, use a air compressor can through the vents. But if your confident like the other user said, open it up and clean it.
    Laptops generally get hot, cos they not have much ventilation....you can try a cooling pad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judicious)
    The fan might have a lot of dust which means it can't work as well as it should.

If you're confident enough with laptops you can open up the laptop and clean the fan. The other option is to invest in a laptop cooler which does help (I use one myself).

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yes, its dust, use a air compressor can through the vents. But if your confident like the other user said, open it up and clean it.
    Laptops generally get hot, cos they not have much ventilation....you can try a cooling pad.
    Thanks to the both of you. If I am to open it up, do I blow a fan onto it?

I'm not too good with laptops, so I'll probably just buy the air compressor.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the both of you. If I am to open it up, do I blow a fan onto it?

I'm not too good with laptops, so I'll probably just buy the air compressor.
    just blow out the dust but be careful with the parts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    just blow out the dust but be careful with the parts.
    Ok, so basically just don't touch anything inside. Hmm, sounds alright. Gotta find some good laptop screwdrivers to buy now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you routinely use your laptop flat on a surface or your lap? If so, you could be obstructing your air intake vent(s) on the base of the laptop. Raise the laptop at the rear of the base and make sure air can circulate.

If you have a vaccum cleaner with adjustable suction, set it at the lowest setting and without opening the laptop, use it to clear any dust. Place some netting (or pop sock) over the suction hose, if you are concerned about sucking up something accidently. Do this with the laptop powered off. Apply the suction to the fan outlet, which is usually on one the side or rear edge of the laptop behind a series of slots. Dust tends to collect against the fan outlet grill and build up to the point where the fan works less efficiently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edjunkie)
    Do you routinely use your laptop flat on a surface or your lap? If so, you could be obstructing your air intake vent(s) on the base of the laptop. Raise the laptop at the rear of the base and make sure air can circulate.

If you have a vaccum cleaner with adjustable suction, set it at the lowest setting and without opening the laptop, use it to clear any dust. Place some netting (or pop sock) over the suction hose, if you are concerned about sucking up something accidently. Do this with the laptop powered off. Apply the suction to the fan outlet, which is usually on one the side or rear edge of the laptop behind a series of slots. Dust tends to collect against the fan outlet grill and build up to the point where the fan works less efficiently.
    Yeah, I tend to have it on my lap. I have a hoover with a suction hose, so I'll follow your advice. Hopefully this works.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so basically just don't touch anything inside. Hmm, sounds alright. Gotta find some good laptop screwdrivers to buy now.
    Well particularly the circuit boards and the ram, you can clean up the heatsinks I suppose and the fan, if you can see that bit.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.