Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of re-taking all my AS exams in January..

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok, so I just want some advice on my current situation.
    Basically, a month ago i finished doing my AS exams on Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and French. I found some of these exams extremely difficult and I know for a fact that I am going to have to re-take them all.

I'm dropping french next year, and I was thinking, I need an offer of AAB to study pharmacy at any good university and well, like I said, I really don't think i'm going to achieve such high grades..which will therefore affect my predicted grades that will be sent off to unis.

Do you think it'll be a good idea to re-take all my AS exams (excluding french, coz i'm not continuing with it) and to take a gap year and apply for uni in 2014?

I really don't see any other option unless, due to some miracle, I get an offer from a good uni this year. I really don't want to end up in a university that's not good enough. Paying 9 grand a year is so much to me, so i feel like it's my duty to go to a top uni..

I know i let myself down last year during AS, coz i didn't work hard enough, but this year is a different story..

So, do you think my plan sounds reasonable?? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    by re-taking your AS exams in january would you be re-taking the whole AS year all over again? or retaking the AS exams as an A2 student? im only asking because you mentioned taking a gap year.

umm if you think you've done badly in your exams, then you're no different from majority of students who've just taken exams as well. the best thing to do is to wait until exam results actually come out. however, it's good that you've given some thought to future plans, re-taking seems like the best option if you want to get into a top uni (although i know some really good unis frown upon re-takes)
    it's definitely your best bet, although some people may say to put your as behind you and just focus on getting much better grades for A2, i personally feel like re-taking might give you a better chance (although as someone who did re-takes, the outcome may not always be good, as much as you could improve your grades, there's also a chance that you may get worse grades than the original exam)

also, i would advise maybe not to re-take ALL 4 subjects, its a massive amount of work load to be taking on, assuming you'll be doing the A2 as well, since you plan on dropping french anyway, maybe you shouldnt bother re-taking that? as most unis only need 3a-levels anyway.

i dont know if this makes any sense lol but yeah, that's what i think
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYO)
    by re-taking your AS exams in january would you be re-taking the whole AS year all over again? or retaking the AS exams as an A2 student? im only asking because you mentioned taking a gap year.

umm if you think you've done badly in your exams, then you're no different from majority of students who've just taken exams as well. the best thing to do is to wait until exam results actually come out. however, it's good that you've given some thought to future plans, re-taking seems like the best option if you want to get into a top uni (although i know some really good unis frown upon re-takes)
    it's definitely your best bet, although some people may say to put your as behind you and just focus on getting much better grades for A2, i personally feel like re-taking might give you a better chance (although as someone who did re-takes, the outcome may not always be good, as much as you could improve your grades, there's also a chance that you may get worse grades than the original exam)

also, i would advise maybe not to re-take ALL 4 subjects, its a massive amount of work load to be taking on, assuming you'll be doing the A2 as well, since you plan on dropping french anyway, maybe you shouldnt bother re-taking that? as most unis only need 3a-levels anyway.

i dont know if this makes any sense lol but yeah, that's what i think
    I think she meant retaking the AS exams in the A2 year and applying to university after recieving her final grades.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'll be retaking them this year january as an A2 student, and then i'd have my A2 exams in June. My sixth form doesn't do A2 exams in January. Ah, no no, haha, i won't be retaking any french, coz yeh, like you said there's no point!

Hm, yeh, ofc, i'll wait till my results come, but I feel like I need to mentally prepare myself as I know I haven't done as well as I could have. if you get me?

Thanks for the advice, it's really helped me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anongal)
    i'll be retaking them this year january as an A2 student, and then i'd have my A2 exams in June. My sixth form doesn't do A2 exams in January. Ah, no no, haha, i won't be retaking any french, coz yeh, like you said there's no point!

Hm, yeh, ofc, i'll wait till my results come, but I feel like I need to mentally prepare myself as I know I haven't done as well as I could have. if you get me?

Thanks for the advice, it's really helped me.
    anytime although you think you havent done well good luck with exam results all the same! hopefully you're just worrying for nothing!

p.s i re-sat my biology AS last jan. during my A2 so if you need some help or advice later on, just shoot me a private message and i'll be happy to help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, tbh I think, even if i had revised to the best of my ability I don't think I would have done well still... some of the exams were a joke! For example my Biology unit 2 exam...oh my god .. there was an 18th century poem about sheep in it .....it was not even funny

-facepalm-

But thank you, you're so kind, i'll let you know if i ever need help, thumbs up 4 you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 23, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.