The Student Room Group

Reading about people's views on A level Chemistry is worrying me!

Scroll to see replies

Just to add one thing people haven't said so far....

As someone who has done AQA chem, bio and physics, I found chemistry to be the hardest of the lot, and part of the reason was that in the first module you learn that almost the entirety of what you learned at GCSE was incorrect to the extent that you have to unlearn it in order to progress. For example: electron shells as discrete entities don't really exist (or rather they overlap a lot at higher levels), Valency can be essentially ignored a lot of the time, water does not have a neutral pH etc. etc.
The biggest problem is that unlike in physics, where you essentially just learn when specific formulae apply, and biology, where you just learn a big ol' list of facts, in chemistry you have to take stuff that you learn in one context and apply it in a much more complicated setting to derive an answer. A lot of people try to just learn massive sheets of equations, and on exam day they invariably panic when something similar comes up and they haven't bothered to actually comprehend all the equations you learned.

It was really quite difficult for me, and the two biggest bits of advice I can give are that 1. if you didn't get at least a VERY high A (borderline A*) then you will have trouble (a few people in my class had Bs, and they'd all dropped out by A2 year), and that you really have to be willing to seek help when you don't understand something, because if you are at all sketchy about topics at the beginning you will find that it snowballs and you will have a lot of work to do at the end (true of any subject, but in my experience especially true of chemistry).

Good luck!
Reply 41
Original post by Dan12
once you know where you're going, ask about the exam board you'll be doing and then I'd start straight away. You'll be surprised with the amount of people who cram stuff in in January and I'd rather be calm and relaxed in January or June so I can perform to my best. One other thing, make sure you drink plenty of water, do physical exercise and have healthy diet.

Good luck with doing chemistry and with your results in August. From what I've read, you seem like a dedicated, keen student so you should be fine.

I know the exam board is ocr, so I'll probably get a book in the next few weeks so I'm prepared. ;D
Thanks for the advice, and good luck if you're awaiting any results as well. :-)
Reply 42
It's not hard, just man-up a bit.
Reply 43
Original post by Deziah
I know the exam board is ocr, so I'll probably get a book in the next few weeks so I'm prepared. ;D
Thanks for the advice, and good luck if you're awaiting any results as well. :-)

Thanks, if you've got any questions during the next two years, I'll be happy to help. What really annoys me is the students who do no work for an exam and then complain about it after, and blame the teacher.

are you doing ocr biology as well if you are, buy the book and start asap. Also, when you're preparing for your exams, do every single paper available to you for that exam board (I learnt this the hard way) because in one of my bio questions, they copied one question that was set in 2003 and modified the last part.
Reply 44
Original post by Dan12
Thanks, if you've got any questions during the next two years, I'll be happy to help. What really annoys me is the students who do no work for an exam and then complain about it after, and blame the teacher.

are you doing ocr biology as well if you are, buy the book and start asap. Also, when you're preparing for your exams, do every single paper available to you for that exam board (I learnt this the hard way) because in one of my bio questions, they copied one question that was set in 2003 and modified the last part.

Aw, thanks. :-)
People did that a lot at GCSE, was so annoying haha.

Already ahead of you, got the ocr biology book. ;D
I've started learning about the organelles, and getting to grips with some of the words, probably pronouncing them wrong haha.
Reply 45
Original post by Deziah
Aw, thanks. :-)
People did that a lot at GCSE, was so annoying haha.

Already ahead of you, got the ocr biology book. ;D
I've started learning about the organelles, and getting to grips with some of the words, probably pronouncing them wrong haha.

good and make sure you learn ALL the definitions because they are easy marks. For F321 (unit 1 chemistry) the definitions that always come up is fits ionisation energy, relative atomic mass and others. LEARN ALL DEFINITIONS. Personally I preferred unit 2 bio at AS than unit 1 at AS. I also prefer A2 to AS where you learn about the detail of respiration and photosynthesis (in unit 1 A2). i think I probably still pronounce the words wrong but i just say the words how I'd write it (dunno if that makes sense).
Reply 46
Changes between people but it's quite hard in terms of being a jump up from GCSE.

For me personally I found my A Levels hardest increasingly in order of wordiness. Biology was very much one which required you write out key phrases exactly, thus if you didn't put them down correctly even if you were correct you didn't get the marks, it was a case of remembering the key answers. Maths is the opposite, you either understand how the equations work and when to use them or not thus if you got the correct answer in anyway you got the marks. Chemistry is half way between the two, there are mathsy and wordy questions so it's a good mix. Conceptually none are particularly difficult.
Reply 47
its fine :smile: I love it tbh :smile: Biology is sooo much harder tbh, though Chemistry can be quite a big jump from GCSE. i've just started my A2 chemistry course and get seems the Chemistry gets alot more mathsy in A2( Rate equations,pH calculations,equilibrium constants and thats just in unit 4 of 6, But if you are good at maths you should find those concepts easy to grasp. The only thing lame about chemistry is the dreaded ISA on the AQA exam board which involves an assessed practical alongside a written exam.

Anyway GL :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
I really don't understand the people saying Biology is harder than Chemistry? I found Chemistry AS (dropped it after doing the AS, couldn't take doing a full A-Level), WAY harder than Biology. Biology, for me at least, was always the subject that required the least work and thought to get good grades, as the mark schemes accept almost anything. Chemistry mark schemes always felt very pedantic :s-smilie:.

It must depend on the way you answer questions I guess: if you go into lots of detail in your answers, and indeed if you know the syllabus in lots of detail, Chemistry is probably more suited to you; if you find you are better at applying what you've been taught to more unusual situations, Biology is probably better for you? I haven't looked at a Chemistry paper in over a year, so I may be remembering it wrong.

I should also add that I didn't do very much revision for my AS level Chemistry because I didn't enjoy it :P. That might have contributed to lower grades somewhat...
Reply 49
Lol you are fogeting all the mole calculation equations:
percentage yield= theoretical/actual
m=mass/mr
m= vol/1000X C
PV=NRT
the 3 energetics equations( though you can just use hess cycles)
And thats just AS lol A2 has alot more maths than AS.
The first topic of A2 AQA is Quantitative Kinetics so its an all maths topic followed by quantitative equilibria and acids and bases.
all in all its about 20% maths in AS and probly about 40% at A2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
OCR Salters Chemistry was a nightmare! don't know about other exam boards! good luck! :smile:
I actually found Chemistry to be my easiest.

Compared to Biology, the content is probably harder to understand, but there's a lot less of it. If you're good at maths, the June A2 module (on OCR) is a piece of piss.
I liked AS Chemistry. If you get an A in GCSE Science, it's not hard at all. If you get a D obviously you're not going to get it. The only reason why I didn't carry it on to A2 Level is because it does require work. You need to properly revise and put effort into it, I knew I'd have a much easier time doing the Arts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Cognition
OCR Salters Chemistry was a nightmare! don't know about other exam boards! good luck! :smile:

I will be doing OCR Salters A-level Chemistry. How hard will OCR Salters A-level Chemistry be for me in comparision to other exam boards? Shall I even pick it?:confused: I'm willing to spend a lot of revision time on it.
Reply 54
Original post by krisshP
I will be doing OCR Salters A-level Chemistry. How hard will OCR Salters A-level Chemistry be for me in comparision to other exam boards? Shall I even pick it?:confused: I'm willing to spend a lot of revision time on it.

Personally, I don't think you should base your decision on the exam boards - there can't be that much difference between them, surely? Otherwise there would be people with "harder-earned" Chemistry A Levels than others? (But just for reference, I'm doing OCR Salters B and I'm still alive...)

The most important part is that you say you're willing to spend a lot of revision time on it. I am a firm believer that no matter how much you think you don't get it, after putting in enough effort and getting any necessary help, you definitely will get it. Stick to this mindset and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by suncake
Personally, I don't think you should base your decision on the exam boards - there can't be that much difference between them, surely? Otherwise there would be people with "harder-earned" Chemistry A Levels than others? (But just for reference, I'm doing OCR Salters B and I'm still alive...)

The most important part is that you say you're willing to spend a lot of revision time on it. I am a firm believer that no matter how much you think you don't get it, after putting in enough effort and getting any necessary help, you definitely will get it. Stick to this mindset and you'll be fine :smile:

Reply 56
Original post by krisshP

I'm Salters (have started A2 now) and I didn't find it that bad. As I said before, just make sure you keep up with it and ask if you're stuck. Tbh, it's really not worth getting your self worked up over how hard it may be. If you like it (and it's good for whatever uni course you want to do), do it. You'll be fine.
It's certainly not the hardest A-level. Compared to Physics anyway. There's a lot of memorisation involved when it comes to equations and definitions. It's entirely doable if you put the time in. Also there's a fair bit more maths involved at A-level chemistry than GCSE.
Reply 58
Original post by krisshP

The OCR salters concepts aren't hard (coming from someone who has just finished A2s) the hard thing about Salters is that the exams, especially A2 are really left-field. You could learn the entire syllabus, then they apply it in a way you don't recognise in the exam, and you're F*****. However, it's fine once you have done practice papers, AS i did none, and it was horrific, A2 it was basically all I did, and I didn't find it too bad - at least I was prepared for the left-field exam questions...
To be honest it is not hard. The only thing which matters is that wether you enjoy the subject or not.

I was at the same point as you,when I entered AS level chemistry,many of my friends were saying "oh chemistry is hard because many people got U" e.t.c

until when I got 114/120 UMS in january exam. I realised that these people did not put effort at all in the revision.You only need to be dedicated. Even if you give one hour to the subject every day, that would be enough to prepare you just the right time before the exam.

Now I am waiting for my summer exam results. And lets see what I get for the chemistry :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending