Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ebay help - bought an item insanely cheap now seller says that he made a mistake

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedi-master)
    Erm, that he would admit his mistake and sell me the bike?
    I'd just avoid the grief and give it back, the guy made an honest mistake and it's a bit harsh to try and go all legal on him.

...but make sure you get a refund of course
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just studied a law unit for ACCA, contract law situations as these are an important part of it.

On ebay, once you place a bid, it is actually a binding offer to buy and purchase. Especially as it was buy it now for £1. As the bid was automatically accepted, the seller technically has no rights as the transaction has been done, it IS a binding contract. Ebay even warns people who buy on there that they will be entering a binding contract. You haad the rights to buy the bike for £1, and if he refuses to sell to you, thats a breach of contract

You have been very nice in the end, as it seems a genuine mistake, but in business if you offered something for a cheap price, which was accepted fully and unconditionally by the seller, but changes mind afterwards, you have control.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't anybody remember the recent (ish) cockups on TescoDirect websites re selling plasma tv's for £27.00??? - when customers attempted to buy them, Tesco did not fulfil - yet no action was brought against them.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the seller was planning to start the bidding at £1 what were they going to do if (hypothetically) you were the only one to bid on it? Say that obviously they expected it to go higher? If they were willing to start the bidding at £1 then they were willing to sell it at £1 should it have only got one bid. So why can't they sell it to you now?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by its too easy)
    Doesn't anybody remember the recent (ish) cockups on TescoDirect websites re selling plasma tv's for £27.00??? - when customers attempted to buy them, Tesco did not fulfil - yet no action was brought against them.
    Its different on websites buying stuff. A pricetag is called "invitation to treat" - its not an offer. Its an invitation for the buyer to make an offer.

Once the offer is made, the seller can accept or reject. This is the same as buying goods in a supermarket. If the price tag says £2.00 but its brought to the till desk and its actually £10, the seller (till person) can reject the offer and say its £10, which brings original offer to end.

On ebay its different, as when you make an offer, its automatically accepted and a binding contract is formed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by its too easy)
    I work in asda and people (rightfully so) get stressy if somethings advertised at the wrong price. However its an 'offer to purchase' and not a 'right to buy' so asda don't actually have to sell it at that price if they don't want to altho I would agree it kinda sucks :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangee)
    I work in asda and people (rightfully so) get stressy if somethings advertised at the wrong price. However its an 'offer to purchase' and not a 'right to buy' so asda don't actually have to sell it at that price if they don't want to altho I would agree it kinda sucks :P
    Yep you are right, its a "invitation to treat" - thats the law term.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The guy replied to me and apologized for the whole situation as apparently it was his son who put the bike on ebay, nevertheless I just left him some selective feedback and told him to be careful next time

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.