Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to cope with effects of injury

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A month or two ago, I injured my groin playing football for school. I accepted it, but being my first actual injury, I sort of took the piss. Even though I knew I was injured, I'd join in on cheeky games of bums during break times, or just casual kick abouts. Doing so made it worse, so it was then that I decided to rest it, and restrain myself from stupid little activities which would prolong my groin injury.

So, I rested, and next thing I knew (well, actually it was like weeks) it was all fine. I stretched it out, did some sprinting in the park, and it was fine. Then came that ****ing Friday when I was on the way home after a day out with friends. It was late, the tube was going to shut soon, and there was a bus coming. I had recovered (or so it seemed), so whaddaya know, I decided to run for the bus cos I wanted to get home without any trouble.

The next morning, I woke up, and my groin was absolutely destroyed; really swollen, hurt A LOT. Having done some research, I came to the conclusion that it may have been a minor sports hernia - I could relate to a lot of the symptoms. I iced it, and it felt better the next day. I chose to rest it for a while.

Just as it was getting better, I completely destroyed any recovery which I may have made during a charity walk on the Wednesday just passed for school across 10 bridges in London. One of my mates thought it would be funny to bring a scooter along with our walk, and sure it was pretty funny. The thing is, I had never ridden a scooter before, so I spent time riding on it occasionally for ****s and gigs.

Next thing I knew, the next morning when I woke up it hurt, just like it hurt ages ago.

Being my first proper injury, I know it's completely my fault for aggravating it all the time.

I am now fully aware of the consequences of my stupid actions; I can't follow my standard weekly workout regime, and I can't play ANY sports. I'm starting to let myself go and it's really starting to mess with my head because I can't really do ANYTHING physical since the groin is linked with your core, which is used all the time. I'm ridiculously angry at myself for being such an idiot, but please, can you guys give me some advice on how to combat this ****ing injury and the effect it's having on me mentally.

As of Thursday, I'm now properly resting it, making sure to ice it and keep it wrapped warm.

tl;dr - injured groin, didn't take it seriously, been injured for months now, and now I'm struggling to cope with not being able to work out or play sports.

Advice, please!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the only advice you can get is what you don't want to hear: you need to rest. If people stop exercising for a few weeks they don't miracoulously get fat, although they may lose some muscle that can be built up again.

I don't know the recovery time on a groin injury, but maybe R.I.C.E would help if you've heard of it. Essentially it stands for: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Obviously you can't elevate your groin but you can rest, compress it and put ice on it. Don't put the ice directly on the skin.

Again, I'm not sure on how long it would take but it can't be that long so maybe other posters can give you a better timeframe.

Mentally, I don't see why it is that much of a problem. Everyone gets injuryed sometimes so It's just part of life and something to get used to. You are not permantly affected and at worst it will only take a couple of weeks.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So in all of this you never thought to see a doctor??

Am I the only one who thought this after reading such a long post.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the previous poster - The internet is many things my friend, it is not a doctor however ! Go see a professional, and perhaps with diagnosis and treatment it will get better God willing. Best wishes mate !
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    I think the only advice you can get is what you don't want to hear: you need to rest. If people stop exercising for a few weeks they don't miracoulously get fat, although they may lose some muscle that can be built up again.

I don't know the recovery time on a groin injury, but maybe R.I.C.E would help if you've heard of it. Essentially it stands for: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Obviously you can't elevate your groin but you can rest, compress it and put ice on it. Don't put the ice directly on the skin.

Again, I'm not sure on how long it would take but it can't be that long so maybe other posters can give you a better timeframe.

Mentally, I don't see why it is that much of a problem. Everyone gets injuryed sometimes so It's just part of life and something to get used to. You are not permantly affected and at worst it will only take a couple of weeks.
    Fair enough mate, it's just that I've grown so used to doing regular exercise, it bums me out a lot to just be sitting around. With regards to RICE, for the E part I just sit on a cushion .

(Original post by silent ninja)
    So in all of this you never thought to see a doctor??

Am I the only one who thought this after reading such a long post.

(Original post by shahruk)
    Agree with the previous poster - The internet is many things my friend, it is not a doctor however ! Go see a professional, and perhaps with diagnosis and treatment it will get better God willing. Best wishes mate !
    Haha of course. What put me off was the fact that I'd have to go to the GP, they would refer me to the hospital, I'd get checked out, maybe get a referral for a scan etc. etc. I thought that the time it would take to eventually get it all checked out, I would have fully recovered, BUT I was massive dick and decided to aggravate it all the time . Guess I'll give my GP a ring ring a-ling on Monday.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    Haha of course. What put me off was the fact that I'd have to go to the GP, they would refer me to the hospital, I'd get checked out, maybe get a referral for a scan etc. etc. I thought that the time it would take to eventually get it all checked out, I would have fully recovered, BUT I was massive dick and decided to aggravate it all the time . Guess I'll give my GP a ring ring a-ling on Monday.
    Yep, best to get professional advice.
    My football teammate twisted his ankle recently and refused to go to the doctor's, like most. A week later and little improvement, a scan revealed it was a fracture.

It's always good to get a scan.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, best to get professional advice.
    My football teammate twisted his ankle recently and refused to go to the doctor's, like most. A week later and little improvement, a scan revealed it was a fracture.

It's always good to get a scan.
    Did your mate just go straight to the hospital and get a scan done straight away?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did your mate just go straight to the hospital and get a scan done straight away?
    Yeah, he went A&E. You could try a walk-in centre?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he went A&E. You could try a walk-in centre?
    Sweet, I just hope there isn't a massive queue at the local.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might want to look at exercise you can do too, once you have seen a doctor. I'm not saying do anything at all which causes even mild discomfort but the obvious one is your upper body is fine. You'll know best which ways of moving hurt so think of whatever doesn't involve that. It's good for you mentally and physically to keep moving
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    First, like others have said, go see a doctor and follow their advice!

Also, this article is a good read: http://www.stumptuous.com/keep-your-...injury-illness You will have to edit a word back into the URL though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A month or two ago, I injured my groin playing football for school. I accepted it, but being my first actual injury, I sort of took the piss. Even though I knew I was injured, I'd join in on cheeky games of bums during break times, or just casual kick abouts. Doing so made it worse, so it was then that I decided to rest it, and restrain myself from stupid little activities which would prolong my groin injury.

So, I rested, and next thing I knew (well, actually it was like weeks) it was all fine. I stretched it out, did some sprinting in the park, and it was fine. Then came that ****ing Friday when I was on the way home after a day out with friends. It was late, the tube was going to shut soon, and there was a bus coming. I had recovered (or so it seemed), so whaddaya know, I decided to run for the bus cos I wanted to get home without any trouble.

The next morning, I woke up, and my groin was absolutely destroyed; really swollen, hurt A LOT. Having done some research, I came to the conclusion that it may have been a minor sports hernia - I could relate to a lot of the symptoms. I iced it, and it felt better the next day. I chose to rest it for a while.

Just as it was getting better, I completely destroyed any recovery which I may have made during a charity walk on the Wednesday just passed for school across 10 bridges in London. One of my mates thought it would be funny to bring a scooter along with our walk, and sure it was pretty funny. The thing is, I had never ridden a scooter before, so I spent time riding on it occasionally for ****s and gigs.

Next thing I knew, the next morning when I woke up it hurt, just like it hurt ages ago.

Being my first proper injury, I know it's completely my fault for aggravating it all the time.

I am now fully aware of the consequences of my stupid actions; I can't follow my standard weekly workout regime, and I can't play ANY sports. I'm starting to let myself go and it's really starting to mess with my head because I can't really do ANYTHING physical since the groin is linked with your core, which is used all the time. I'm ridiculously angry at myself for being such an idiot, but please, can you guys give me some advice on how to combat this ****ing injury and the effect it's having on me mentally.

As of Thursday, I'm now properly resting it, making sure to ice it and keep it wrapped warm.

tl;dr - injured groin, didn't take it seriously, been injured for months now, and now I'm struggling to cope with not being able to work out or play sports.

Advice, please!
    In an identical position, except i've had the injury for a year now. I had some relief after literally doing nothing more then walking for 2-3 months. And then it was better for a few months, I was pretty much back to how i felt pre injury. Well about 6 weeks ago I pulled it again. Very depressing. I guess my advice would be just to rest it and cut out those little games, because it will just aggravate your injury and prolong your recovery time.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    You might want to look at exercise you can do too, once you have seen a doctor. I'm not saying do anything at all which causes even mild discomfort but the obvious one is your upper body is fine. You'll know best which ways of moving hurt so think of whatever doesn't involve that. It's good for you mentally and physically to keep moving
    Thanks. I'll make sure to ask the doctor when I go (hopefully on Monday). It's a massive bitch though cos I can't do press ups (aggravates groin), and I've stopped doing pull ups in case it's doing anything to my injury.

(Original post by Becca)
    First, like others have said, go see a doctor and follow their advice!

Also, this article is a good read: http://www.stumptuous.com/keep-your-...injury-illness You will have to edit a word back into the URL though!
    Thank you, that was actually quite relieving to read. Helped reinforce the fact that I have to rest and stop pissing around. I hope to visit the doctor on Monday, and hopefully I won't be out of action for too long if I keep it under control.

(Original post by anonstudent1)
    In an identical position, except i've had the injury for a year now. I had some relief after literally doing nothing more then walking for 2-3 months. And then it was better for a few months, I was pretty much back to how i felt pre injury. Well about 6 weeks ago I pulled it again. Very depressing. I guess my advice would be just to rest it and cut out those little games, because it will just aggravate your injury and prolong your recovery time.
    Absolutely gutted mate. I know how crappy and depressing it is. Yesterday, I woke up, and I just wasn't in the mood, thinking "**** this injury". Just take it easy. Have you visited the doctors yet?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Absolutely gutted mate. I know how crappy and depressing it is. Yesterday, I woke up, and I just wasn't in the mood, thinking "**** this injury". Just take it easy. Have you visited the doctors yet?
    Nah I should really go, but I don't see what advice a doctor would give other then rest and maybe advice a few stretches.
    Had a look online at a few stretches I should be doing, although I would be lying if I said I was doing them in a consistent meaningful basis, although I am going to now give them a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxNxLu7u1No
    http://rjphysio.co.nz/articles/Groin%20Injuries.pdf
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Nah I should really go, but I don't see what advice a doctor would give other then rest and maybe advice a few stretches.
    Had a look online at a few stretches I should be doing, although I would be lying if I said I was doing them in a consistent meaningful basis, although I am going to now give them a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxNxLu7u1No
    http://rjphysio.co.nz/articles/Groin%20Injuries.pdf
    That's exactly my thought too, but I guess it will be interesting to see the extent of the damage when I get it scanned. I'm definitely going to wait for a few more days before I try any gentle stretches, don't wanna rush into it (done too much of that already).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    fu for making me searching groin hernia in google images
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from A&E. Nurse examined my groin, and she said it was just a groin strain, NOT a hernia. She suggested going to my GP to get referred to a physiotherapist, which I think I'm going to do. Hopefully I'll be able to recover quickly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'll make sure to ask the doctor when I go (hopefully on Monday). It's a massive bitch though cos I can't do press ups (aggravates groin), and I've stopped doing pull ups in case it's doing anything to my injury.
    If you have access to weights you could do a sitting upper body workout. If you get a physio referral they'll be able to help to figure out what you can do for now
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    If you have access to weights you could do a sitting upper body workout. If you get a physio referral they'll be able to help to figure out what you can do for now
    During the initial stage of the injury, I carried on doing pull ups twice a week, which I think MAY have made the injury worse. I'll need to have a chat with the physiotherapist about it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.