The Student Room Group

Job or Postgrad Degree?

I will be graduating next month from the University of Leeds. I studied 'New Media' - a ridiculous name for a course, I know. It's basically, Web Design, SEO, Communications, Internet etc. I've decided that the course has definitely put me off going into the creative industries. In hindsight, I wish I had perhaps chosen a different degree... but hey, it was something I wanted to do when I was 18. I'm aware that a lot of people don't actually go into what their degree is in, and that is just shows you can learn to that level.

Recently, I've been looking into what I want to do as a career, and marketing is really standing out to me. However, I'm unsure of what I should do next.

I have an offer from the University of Sheffield to study 'Marketing Management Practice', which looks into different aspects of Marketing and how to manage it. Something that I would eventually aim for in my career.

The question is, what would be a better option for me to do. I currently don't have any marketing work experience, which puts me at a disadvantage. I'd be looking at job opportunities everywhere in the UK. My aim would try and get in with a large company, and move my way up from there.

Something I'd love to do is find initial work experience abroad, then come back to England after I've got some experience.

I don't know whether to spend a year doing the postgraduate degree to gain more knowledge about marketing and management, seeing as alot of companies seem to ask for a degree in Marketing, or should I just get out there into the world of work. I guess I could do the postgraduate degree / experience at the same time... hmm.

I just don't know what to do.... some opinions would really be appreciated to help me make my final decision!
Reply 1
I would suggest you to get out there to work then get your post grad degree on a part-time basis....

experience and connections are more valuable then any paper qualification.Good Luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
1. Work out what kind of work you want to do.
2. Describe your course in terms that bring out the skill elements and make sure this is clear when you write it on your CV.
3. Get a job that pays the rent
4. If it is Marketing you are interested in, then study "hard" marketing such as strategic marketing or something quantitative to harden up your CV.
5. Get your career job.

Going abroad is enticing and will broaden your mind although I think it will further soften your profile in the eyes of UK employers unless you do something substantial and verifiable while there with a reputable employer.

TBD
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi there. Let me suggest this. The wisest thing for you to do now would be to apply to the best postgrad programmes you think you'd be able to get into, and then to accept the offer from the university you like the most. Now heres the important part - once you've accepted the offer, immediately defer the offer for a year. Most universities should allow you to do this. After that, you have a year to go out and explore what opportunities are available to you in the workforce. You may very well end up finding a job you love, that satisfies your expectations, and settle for it. Or, you may realise that you want to start up something on your own, or with a bunch of friends you know. A year is a long time to discover what it is you really like and if you are qualified enough for what you truly want to do. But, if after a year has passed you have struggled to secure anything and feel unhappy, that masters course you deferred will be right there waiting for you. Overall its a win win situation for you. good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending